• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Team from the Group Stage

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, given the proliferation of unnecessary threads here, I thought it would be uncool if I didn't have one to my name.

Also, after the group stage, a few players won't get the chance to get their names in here, so this may actually be not-that-useless. My XI -

Dhawan
Amla
Sanga +
AB
Baz
Maxwell
Shakib
Vettori
Starc
Boult
Morkel

Dilshan, Miller, Warner, Mahmudullah, Corey Anderson, Brendon Taylor are all good picks too, Bowling was pretty much a lock in. Put Baz at 5 because he is in red hot form, and if I opened with him, would have to put Miller at 5, and I prefer Baz.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just checked out the stats, and Shaiman Anwar from UAE has done remarkably well! 309 runs from 5 games at 61.80 striking at 92. Impressive stuff.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
I would go with 15 player squad.

Starting XI
S Dhawan (IND)
T Dilshan (SL)
K Sangakkara (SL) [WK]
Mahmudullah (BAN) [VC]
AB De Villiers (SA) [C]
S Anwar (UAE)
R Ashwin (IND)
D Vettori (NZ)
T Southee (NZ)
M Starc (AUS)
T Boult (NZ)

Bench: H Amla (SA), Misbah Ul-Haq (PAK), M Morkel (SA), J Davey (SCO)

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Shammi deserves a spot imo, both Southee and Morkel have 13 wickets after having played all 6 games, Shammi has 12 despite missing a easy game against UAE at Perth with Zimbabwe still to go, so unless he gets absolutely pasted in today's game I really can't see how he won't make the 3rd pacer after Starc and Boult.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shammi deserves a spot imo, both Southee and Morkel have 13 wickets after having played all 6 games, Shammi has 12 despite missing a easy game against UAE at Perth with Zimbabwe still to go, so unless he gets absolutely pasted in today's game I really can't see how he won't make the 3rd pacer after Starc and Boult.
Southee boult and Vettori all have a lot of wickets which hurts their ability to really cash in at times. Shami nowhere near as good as a lot of the others.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I would go with 15 player squad.

Starting XI
S Dhawan (IND)
T Dilshan (SL)
K Sangakkara (SL) [WK]
Mahmudullah (BAN) [VC]
AB De Villiers (SA) [C]
S Anwar (UAE)
R Ashwin (IND)
D Vettori (NZ)
T Southee (NZ)
M Starc (AUS)
T Boult (NZ)

Bench: H Amla (SA), Misbah Ul-Haq (PAK), M Morkel (SA), J Davey (SCO)
Anwar ahead of Misbah?I dont think so..otherwise, good shout..

viriya

International Captain
Well, given the proliferation of unnecessary threads here, I thought it would be uncool if I didn't have one to my name.

Also, after the group stage, a few players won't get the chance to get their names in here, so this may actually be not-that-useless. My XI -

Dhawan
Amla
Sanga +
AB
Baz
Maxwell
Shakib
Vettori
Starc
Boult
Morkel

Dilshan, Miller, Warner, Mahmudullah, Corey Anderson, Brendon Taylor are all good picks too, Bowling was pretty much a lock in. Put Baz at 5 because he is in red hot form, and if I opened with him, would have to put Miller at 5, and I prefer Baz.
Dilshan should be picked over Amla. More runs, better average, better SR, more centuries.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Southee boult and Vettori all have a lot of wickets which hurts their ability to really cash in at times. Shami nowhere near as good as a lot of the others.
India and NZ are the only two teams so far that have bowled out each of the teams they've met so far (not counting NZ's game against Bangladesh yesterday). How you can say NZ bowlers haven't been able to "cash in" when in reality all 3 of the bowlers you've named have played 6 full games and bowled 56, 56, and 55.2 overs respectively when 6 games allows for a maximum of 60 overs is beyond me. Of all teams in the WC it's NZ's main bowlers that have cashed in the most since they've bowled the most number of overs even in their own team. Shammi has bowled 34 overs, the least among all Indian bowlers and still taken the most wickets.

Maybe aesthetically Shammi isn't the most attractive bowler on display, but purely in terms of performance (which is what matters to me ultimately) he's been as good as anyone in the WC, he's been the leading wicket taker since 2014 as well so his performance in the WC isn't some fluke. Okay so he doesn't bowl ripping yorkers like Boult and Starc or threatening bouncers like Johnson, but he gets wickets, that's what matters.

Athlai

Not Terrible
India and NZ are the only two teams so far that have bowled out each of the teams they've met so far (not counting NZ's game against Bangladesh yesterday). How you can say NZ bowlers haven't been able to "cash in" when in reality all 3 of the bowlers you've named have played 6 full games and bowled 56, 56, and 55.2 overs respectively when 6 games allows for a maximum of 60 overs is beyond me. Of all teams in the WC it's NZ's main bowlers that have cashed in the most since they've bowled the most number of overs even in their own team. Shammi has bowled 34 overs, the least among all Indian bowlers and still taken the most wickets.

Maybe aesthetically Shammi isn't the most attractive bowler on display, but purely in terms of performance (which is what matters to me ultimately) he's been as good as anyone in the WC, he's been the leading wicket taker since 2014 as well so his performance in the WC isn't some fluke. Okay so he doesn't bowl ripping yorkers like Boult and Starc or threatening bouncers like Johnson, but he gets wickets, that's what matters.
Rubbish, may as well chuck Davey in there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
When your argument is he gets wickets despite not being as good as others, I don't think making a lot of effort is required. Just make an XI of the 6 with most runs, 4 with most wickets and the guy who has the highest of both. Done. Stats'd

viriya

International Captain
This is the correct XI:

Shikhar Dhawan (Ind)
Tillakaratne Dilshan (SL)
Kumar Sangakkara + (SL)
Mahmudullah (Ban)
AB de Villiers * (SA)
Glenn Maxwell (Aus)
Corey Anderson (NZ)
Daniel Vettori (NZ)
Mitchell Starc (Aus)
Trent Boult (NZ)
Mohammad Shami (Ind)

3 frontline pacers, 1 spinner, 1 part-time pacer, 2 part-time spinners.
3 NZ, 2 Aus, 2 SL, 2 Ind, 1 SA, 1 Ban

Honorable mentions: Morne Morkel, Shakib Al Hasan, Sean Williams. Toughest selection was Anderson over Shakib, but went with the pace option because there are already 2 part-time spinners in the line-up and this is for Aus/NZ.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Agreed, Shami deserves a spot over Morkel or Southee. He has great numbers and has made India a real threat with the ball.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
When your argument is he gets wickets despite not being as good as others, I don't think making a lot of effort is required. Just make an XI of the 6 with most runs, 4 with most wickets and the guy who has the highest of both. Done. Stats'd
Show me where I said he's not as good as others? I said he's perhaps not the most attractive bowler on display (and I guess that's subjective as well), I'd obviously prefer to watch Boult bowl full swinging yorkers and hit the stumps rather than Shammi's line and length bowling mixed in with a few variation deliveries, but that has nothing to do with performance.