• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warnie - Please Stop

howardj

International Coach
This was the final staw for me

I am so over Shane Warne trying to prove his loyalty to Michael Clarke, and trying to show everyone that they're great mates...no matter the cost to Australian cricket

It's like he can't talk about anything else other than Clarke; and can't stomach the fact that the team coped just fine thankyou this Summer without his great mate

And I think in the above article, he's rewriting history a bit - Clarke didn't teach Australia how to win. On the contrary, before Boof came on board, Clarke had presided over the most spiritless, spineless showing by an Australian team in modern times - namely, the 2013 tour to India, where the team was racked with division

Clarke is our best batsman, and our best captain, and was always going to come straight back into the team as the skipper...so there's no need for this nonsense

Moreover, everything Warne says has an agenda to it. Whether it's criticising anyone who doesn't bow at the feet of Pup; or his Starc comments which were motivated by Mitch's comments from a few Summers ago when the idea of a Warne comeback was floated; or even last night talking about Australia's WC win in 1999 and mentioning everyone in the team except Steve Waugh who, it's well known, he has never forgiven for dropping him in the West Indies

Somebody of the status of a Ponting or Border needs to tell Warne to please stop!

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
you know the moment this happens he'll just start talking **** about him too.

benchy was 100% right about him.

For those of us that don't know......what was Benchy's call on Warne??

For mine Warne has been extremely detrimental to Australian cricket from the moment he hung up his boots.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Moreover, everything Warne says has an agenda to it. Whether it's criticising anyone who doesn't bow at the feet of Pup; or his Starc comments which were motivated by Mitch's comments from a few Summers ago when the idea of a Warne comeback was floated; or even last night talking about Australia's WC win in 1999 and mentioning everyone in the team except Steve Waugh who, it's well known, he has never forgiven for dropping him in the West Indies
Add his blatant and quite hilarious dig at John Buchanan during his commentary in NZ the other day. Basically said NZ was just another side Buchanan wreaked havoc upon around the time of John Wright exiting & the Taylor/McHesson affair.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those of us that don't know......what was Benchy's call on Warne??

For mine Warne has been extremely detrimental to Australian cricket from the moment he hung up his boots.
He's desperate to stay relevant somehow.

Lowest form of human being really.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's desperate to stay relevant somehow.

Lowest form of human being really.
Shock horror, attention whore when playing cricket remains attention whore in retirement.

Time for Brad McNamara to sack him.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sadly, we are all going to have to put up with this for the next three decades:

Warne: "Some controversial bull**** slandering a player or coach or administrator".

Someone actually doing something productive for cricket: "Warne's comment is odd and I'll call him and ask him about it".

Warne (via Twitter): "I was misquoted/taken out of context".

Rinse and repeat.

Yawn. He's a ****.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just wait till he refuses to rule out a comeback to the Test team again.
Saddest part of that is that he'd probably still be good enough to take plenty of English wickets

............. might be his last chance though

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
you know the moment this happens he'll just start talking **** about him too.

benchy was 100% right about him.
There's a lot to like about Shane Warne the bowler, there's a lot to like about Shane Warne the cricket player...

There's not a lot to like about Shane Warne.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
I love it how he constantly says how Tubby Taylor was the best captain he played under just to remind us how he can't stand Steve Waugh.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warne and Ian Chappell constantly harp on about how they don't like coaches and think they should be in the background if there at all...blah blah blah.

Warne and Chappell both played in eras of strong teams with strong leaders and heaps of established experienced men in the teams. Which is great, but isn't always the case. Our current team doesn't contain Warne, Waughs, Langer, Hayden, McGrath, Gilchrist, Ponting and all these seasoned blokes. It's ok to have a coach. It's ok to defer to him for advice midmatch, ffs.

Warne took issue with Lehmann allegedly calling the declaration. To me, it doesn't matter if Lehmann or Smith called it, or it was a combined decision. Lehmann to me always seemed like a solid tactician and leader, so when you have a captain thrust into the role in his first series as skipper who has played under 70 FC matches, aligned with a man coaching with nearly 300 FC games, why the hell wouldn't Smith defer to wisdom and experience. It doesn't have to be divisive, again ffs.

Warne seems to thrive on this "best captain never to captain" ****. Maybe he was great tactically, but it's clear from his personality he'd be the most divisive bloke in the change room and would never be a long term test captain.

Finally, Warne is always alluding to how he hated Buchanan. Which is fine. But seriously, Buchanan was doing nothing out of the ordinary for most other sports. AFL teams all use Leading Teams and all that sort of stuff, and that's the type of stuff Buchanan was trying to instil. What's the problem there? All sports have changed and evolved. Players are different now, no one seriously into sports psych thinks you just treat everyone the same like they did in the 60s and 70s. Quality coaches like Lehmann are gold imo.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The declaration thing is a crock, it's basically only because the TV cameras were on Lehmann as he was trying to call them in. Smith says that he was trying to call them in and the batsmen couldn't see it.