• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India and England in Australia ODI Tri-Series 2015

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, look I don't think there is anything too malicious in this..........just Warner being a dick again. Certainly the call of racism is way OTT.........but I still think the comment was unnecessary and in bad taste. But that's just me.
If he said "speak English" when Rohit was speaking English it is racism.

It doesn't mean he's racist, but it's definitely a racist thing to say.

Riggins

International Captain
This is all so bogus. If you've ever played against teams that speak other languages you know 90 percent of the time is spent talking in the language the other team wont understand.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's a different situation when you're fielding/sledging and half the point is for the benefit of your teammates. That clearly wasn't the case here.
What are you on about?

I mean, you can just start with Harbhajan's defence in the issue with Andrew Symonds.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, look I don't think there is anything too malicious in this..........just Warner being a dick again. Certainly the call of racism is way OTT.........but I still think the comment was unnecessary and in bad taste. But that's just me.
What if Sharma was insulting him in (I would assume) Hindi?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
For them not to be, the words "ear" and "air" would have to be homophones in Australian English as well, and they're definitely not. Certainly closer than they are in a lot of other accents though.
They're extremely close to being homophones in NZ English.

We should basically delete all vowels as being redundant.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No different to Warner insulting Indian, Sri-Lankan, Pakistan players in English IMO.
It's vastly different. Given that English is the language in which all major cricketing media takes place in, it's a reasonable assumption that an opposition player will understand English.

The opposite does not apply.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But doesn't that smack of the typical arrogance that you see/hear so often from English speaking people that all foreigners should speak English?

Obviously Warner would know that Rohit speaks English perfectly well but I still don't see why Warner should feel it's his responsibility to speak in a second tongue for his benefit. Don't know what Sharmas response was but I'd like to think it was along the lines of "No ****, you make the effort and learn to speak Indian if you want to understand me.........but given you can't even master your own language I doubt that is possible for someone of your limited intellect"
Nah look, if you're having an argument with someone and they start using a language you don't understand, what's wrong with asking them to? I don't see how that's racist tbh, you're just wanting to know what they're saying so you can flog the **** out of them. Of course, if Sharma had been speaking English and Warner said "speak English", then it's a **** comment. But that wouldn't really surprise me from him either.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's reasonable to say that Rohit speaking Hindi to Warner was unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.

If Rohit was out in the field and making a joke about Warner for his teammates benefit then yeah it's highly likely, but if he's making a point and talking to him directly with no audience other than perhaps the batsman at the other end, I don't see why he'd talk in Hindi.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Just banter Blue the Indians talk as well,Kohli not shy.
From memory i could be wrong it was an Indian player hit with the ball and a run being taken,Warner and other Aussies took offence the batsmen said something in Indian to Warner.If i am wrong i am wrong.An Indian swearing at Warner in Indian is a sledge no.
There is no such language as "Indian", so that would be a yes.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Warner is too good a player to have to resort to below the belt tactics he is using. Why can't he just let his bat do the talking?