• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Ronchi (+)
NcCullum
Vettori
Mills
Southee
McClenenenen/Henry

is that too crazy? I kinda like it.
That's the team on a slower wicket for sure. Problem is there's not actually that many slow wickets at international level in Aust/NZ. But it does make our batting deeper & also takes care for the 5th slot we're all worried about since Jesse screwed us.

Zinzan

Here is another XI

Guptil
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Ronchi
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Henry
Milne

Mills is actually good enough to be an International number 8 in my opinion. He wouldn't be the best going around but he would be ok.

Southee is really a number 10 batsman but he bats 9 in tests so he will good to go for scores like 12 off 8 balls. Which is probably what he will be required to do most of the time from position number 9.

I prefer this line up to one with NMac even though NMac is the far better batsman - as I think our strength and depth is in our seamers.

How good would it be to get 40 overs out of front line seamers with Corey as an insurance policy.

Just gamble on bowling everyone out for 270 or less and chasing it.

If that batting isn't good enough that put in NMac for Dan.

I don't mind that side at all, although not convinced Mills is quite as capable with the bat as he was 5 years ago, but it does solve the problem of a having a weak 5th bowling option at the cost of a slightly longer tail. Could be a good side on the right surface.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Straight up conventional for me

Guptill
Latham
Williamson (6)
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson (5)
Ronchi
Vettori (4)
Mills (1)
Southee (2)
Milne (3)

Zinzan

Straight up conventional for me

Guptill
Latham
Williamson (6)
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson (5)
Ronchi
Vettori (4)
Mills (1)
Southee (2)
Milne (3)
I don't mind that side, but unfortunately there's no indication at this stage to suggest they're interested in Latham opening. Unless he bats there in these last 2 ODI's in the UAE, you'd have to assume it's Gutpill & McCullum at 1 & 2.

GGG

State Captain
Guptill
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Ronchi (+)
NcCullum
Vettori
Mills
Southee
McClenenenen/Henry

is that too crazy? I kinda like it.
Pretty much the team I posted, not sure about Mills/McClenenenen/Henry at this stage yet, Henry needs a few more games.

N McCullum brings more to the table than anyone else vying for that position, he isn't a mug with the bat, brilliant is the field and has become quite reliable with the ball, a safety option.

Flem274*

123/5
It is never going to happen but I'd love to see KNB get a game. He's not the best guy for the job but I'd still enjoy watching him play ODIs.

While we're at it I vote for no spinners and Southee-Mitch-Henry-Milne post-world cup. ***y ***y bowling foursome.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but seriously...if they find a place for Boult I will **** myself.

I've been reading all these articles about how at least one of Mitch/Henry/Milne/Mills is going to miss out. Seriously, how could you possibly justify leaving Mills out? Has been our best ODI seamer since forever yet seems to have played his entire career under an "about to be dropped" cloud because of some combination of he goes for runs at the death/he only bowls 130kph/he's getting old.

It would just be a terrible injustice if he missed his swansong World Cup tbh.

As much as Henry and Milne are Johnny-come-latelies, I think they're gonna be picked. Henry is a gun, and Milne is a gun who doesn't have the numbers yet but will be picked anyway because he bowls 150. As much as I don't rate Mitch, he's taken wickets for the last 2 years and has to be picked. Mills has to be picked because he's Mills. No room for Boult. If he's getting an armchair ride into the 15, on the back of no ODI pedigree at all and without having to prove himself, I'll be furious.

vandem

International 12th Man

Zinzan

I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but seriously...if they find a place for Boult I will **** myself.

I've been reading all these articles about how at least one of Mitch/Henry/Milne/Mills is going to miss out. Seriously, how could you possibly justify leaving Mills out? Has been our best ODI seamer since forever yet seems to have played his entire career under an "about to be dropped" cloud because of some combination of he goes for runs at the death/he only bowls 130kph/he's getting old.

As much as Henry and Milne are Johnny-come-latelies, I think they're gonna be picked. Henry is a gun, and Milne is a gun who doesn't have the numbers yet but will be picked anyway because he bowls 150. As much as I don't rate Mitch, he's taken wickets for the last 2 years and has to be picked. Mills has to be picked because he's Mills. No room for Boult. If he's getting an armchair ride into the 15, on the back of no ODI pedigree at all and without having to prove himself, I'll be furious.
Think most of us are with you on this. Although I will say Mitch has dropped in my estimations as this tour has progressed, but is still ahead of an unproven (at ODI level) Boulty. As of today, (and it may change in the next 8 ODI prior to the WC) I'd be starting with;

1 Southee
2 Milne
3 Henry/Mills (depending on form)

4 Henry/Mills
5 McClenaghan

The only thing I'm still concerned about is our inability or reluctance (possibly a combination of both) to bowl yorkers.

Interesting that Styris was asked this question by Basit last night and suggested they may be reluctant to attempt yorkers since batsmen are now so successful against the near-miss (half-yolley or full toss), which I get to an extent, but I still think this is huge an area for Bond (and the bowlers) to focus on. At least we know that Southee is a good exponent of it.

Zinzan

Prepare now. ;-)

"I have talked a lot about how I wouldn't swap Tim Southee and Trent Boult for anybody, and that was when they were ranked 30 and 40 in the world," McCullum said. "It's a lot easier to say that now they're in the top 10."

Cricket: Skipper loves the 3-4 punch - Cricket - NZ Herald News
Nah, this is a classic example of how quotes can be taken out of context when merged into an article. I listened to that McCullum interview in it's entirety & his reference to Southee & Boult was specifically related to Test cricket as they were reflecting on his Test year and his epic 302. I mean even his reference to their top 10 ratings relates to their test (and not ODI) ratings.

I'm actually more concerned about these supposed 'inside sources' suggesting Boult will make the squad.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Give us some anti Vettori comments for old times sake

GGG

State Captain
Boult surely isn't a shoe-in but he does deserve a chance to prove himself, he isn't the same bowler he was when he last played ODI's.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Fine post. Not that I have anything against Trent, and I think he's capable of being a very fine ODI bowler. But to suggest he should be anywhere near the final squad would be to suggest we're almost solely picking him on Test form. It's Milne or him. A guy who has been playing white ball cricket, one who hasn't.

As meticulous as Hesson is in preparation, I don't think he's preparing to pitch in a guy with 3 ODIs over two years when the alternatives have all been gaining meaningful match practise. That would be too much like our old fullbacks at centre RWC trick

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Martin Guptill
2. Brendon McCullum (c)
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Tom Latham
6. Corey Anderson
7. Luke Ronchi+
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Kyle Mills
10. Tim Southee
11. Matt Henry

12. Adam Milne
13. Mitchell McClenaghan
14. Dean Brownlie (Watling would have been perfect)
15. Nathan McCullum

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ultimately it's just really weird that Boult was rested from the UAE series. He shouldn't have been in a position where he was either inked in or no chance, so now we basically have to guess from the extremes. I had him penciled in to my squad earlier in the thread but I that was conditional upon him playing some more ODIs and doing well -- which I thought he probably would. Can't really pick him now, but that's what makes it so odd he was left out.