• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many test teams...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd take Tamim over Gayle if a Test were to start tomorrow tbh.
On the basis of what? I'm pretty surprised at the love for Tamim tbh... I like him, but his form has been utterly woeful for a long time, and a couple of decent innings is hardly enough evidence that he'd good again. The only sides he'd make are maybe England whose openers have been equally terrible, and South Africa.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle has been incredibly mediocre in recent years (from memory) and seemingly has very little desire to play Test cricket. I don't think he'd complain if the WICB told him he wasn't being picked any more and was free to play every T20 league his 35-year-old body can handle. More opportunity to use his 'Hey baby wanna see my Test Triple Ton' pickup line to bang all the chix.

Meanwhile Tamim has a pretty bright future (especially for a Bangladeshi opening batsman), and is incredibly talented despite his inability to consistently deliver thus far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We'll right now we've got Gayle and Brathwaite...not a chance in hell he's better than either IMO!!..i mean the way Kraigg has been over the last 18 months or so there can't be many better openers out there
There's a fair few better than Brathwaite IMO, especially since we're only looking at such a small sample selection that's skewed by being 40% against Bangladesh.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
There's a fair few better than Brathwaite IMO, especially since we're only looking at such a small sample selection that's skewed by being 40% against Bangladesh.
Surprise surprise you disagree!!..but anyway name them then? please name me some openers over the last 18 months who has a better first class average than Kraigg!!..give me a laugh :D .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha that's a pretty random criterion WW. I'll be holding you to it next time you say X > Y. :p

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Haha that's a pretty random criteria WW. I'll be holding you to it next time you say X > Y. :p
LOL the boy has been on fire at all levels Prince...domestic, A-team and test level!!..i did start a thread highlight his amazing stats and i'd be happy to pull it up if marc wants to go there :D .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Surprise surprise you disagree!!..but anyway name them then? please name me some openers over the last 18 months who has a better first class average than Kraigg!!..give me a laugh :D .
Well for a start the relevance of FC average is nil when there's a higher level around but suspect that that doesn't help your argument.

In this wonder 18 months he's played 3 Tests against proper opposition.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness to WW here, there aren't that many quality openers around at the moment:

AUS: Warner & Rogers
BAN: Tamim & Kayes
ENG: Cook & Robson
IND: Vijay & Dhawan
NZ: Latham & Rutherford
PAK: Shehzad & Hafeez
SL: Perera & Dimuth & Tharanga
RSA: Petersen & Elgar
WI: Gayle & Brathwaite
ZIM: Sibanda & Raza

So roughly in order, IMO:
1. Sibanda :ph34r:
2. Warner
3. Cook
4. Perera
5. Vijay
6. Brathwaite
7. Latham
8. Tamim
9. Rogers
10. Dhawan
11. Petersen
12. Gayle
13. Shehzad
14. Elgar
15. Dimuth
16. Robson
17. Tharanga
18. Rutherford
19. Hafeez
20. Raza
21. Kayes

Warner a class above, Vijay through Dhawan basically inseperable (I really rate Perera, Brathwaite and Latham compared to Rogers and Dhawan). No idea where to rate Shehzad as of yet, but Elgar down are all pretty darn mediocre.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
number 5 must have hurt
Look, Vijay being in the top 10 is utterly damning to Test openers worldwide. Lift your game, ****s.

Brathwaite and Latham only need some time to overtake him, and Tamim has a higher ceiling but no consistency.

OverratedSanity

Dan's Vijay hate is the most irrational hatred ever. What's not to like about the guy? He's compact, isn't stupid, has shown he can handle swing and seam movement and is ***y as ****. :wub:

OverratedSanity

oh, and Dimuth is good.

Edit: In current form, Cook is a terrible opener. Wouldn't make my top 8 or so.

Last edited: