• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty poor comments tbh. Why would you want to rely on wing play (which, lets be honest, is pretty outdated these days, just because the club have had lots of good wingers in the past. And he sights Ronaldo as an example. He's basically a striker who just happens to play wide, not a winger at all. And actually criticising the attention to detail and preparation for specific opponents sounds really weird.
Ronaldo a perfect example of what Moyes wanted really, no? Wide man cutting in.

4-2-2-2 is surely just an attacking 4-4-2 anyway, not to reopen recent debates.

by and large I think Ferdinand comes off as a dick here. If him and Vidic didn't understand what Moyes told them then why didn't they ask?

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously watch Valencia's goal. It is much more entertaining than anything Ferdinand has to say.

grecian

Yeah he does. He at least succeeds in making Moyes look like a dick too, but then he already did.
Personally I think it makes everyone at United, past, present and future look like total dicks, and I haven't even clicked on the link, or read this discussion much....

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Must say backing your own strengths really works for Wenger in the big games. Pep and Mourinho can take their specific planing and suck it.

Ronaldo a perfect example of what Moyes wanted really, no? Wide man cutting in.

4-2-2-2 is surely just an attacking 4-4-2 anyway, not to reopen recent debates.

by and large I think Ferdinand comes off as a dick here. If him and Vidic didn't understand what Moyes told them then why didn't they ask?
Yeah, agree with all this.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ok, so tomorrow ITV are choosing to show Liverpool against a team that was an amateur side 4 years ago, instead of Dortmund v Arsenal.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok, so tomorrow ITV are choosing to show Liverpool against a team that was an amateur side 4 years ago, instead of Dortmund v Arsenal.
What did you expect?

If Liverpool or Man U are playing they have to be shown. It is the rules of television.

Sucks as Liverpool will probably win 4-0 and the other game could be a cracker.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, I'd actually be up for that if I wasn't massively overdrawn and desperately awaiting my next stipend cheque .

Pothas

Make sure you pay a visit when it comes through, got a £5 deal for season ticket holders on a game sometime next month. The football is even worth watching these days.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He does tinker a little, yeah. Compare how Pep teams approach European away games to how everyone else does it, though. He definitely doesn't adapt more than Wenger does.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He does tinker a little, yeah. Compare how Pep teams approach European away games to how everyone else does it, though. He definitely doesn't adapt more than Wenger does.
Not sure I agree. Barcelona's away knock out record in the Champions League under Pep wasn't particularly flash and they always looked happy enough to go down the "score and don't lose away from home then smash them at home" route.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Pep does adapt quite a lot tbh. It's not necessarily shifting the whole set up to parking the bus or whatever, but there's almost always one or two things that he does specifically for each match. That's why the Bayern mole has become more of an issue with him than previous coaches. The example of the long ball at Dortmund last November is probably the most major example I can think of. But there's also heaps of other stuff that's probably too advanced for people like me. It's just that his sides always have the highest possession of any side playing football anywhere in the world when they play, so it seems really rigid in the overall philosophy.

Wenger openly admits to not even watching teams Arsenal are going to play sometimes.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was listening to the World Football Phone In Podcast last night, and was intrigued when I saw in the billing that Mina Rzouki would be one of the panelists. I'd heard she was actually meant to be quite good, but...ergh, I must say I found her to be really really annoying. Not quite in the Jack Monroe bracket of annoyingness, but edging towards it. Anyone else familiar? She is supposedly a "European Football Expert", after all.