• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

King Pietersen

International Captain
Joel Campbell going on loan to Benfica is on apparently. Could be your only business of the day. Don't worry though, it'll be fine, 6 defenders and Sanogo up-top is plenty good enough :)

LVG must have read the Spurs programme at the weekend, and decided that Michael Dawson has the right idea when it comes to tactics.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think RVP or Rooney are as good as they used to be, but I think you're asking for off the pitch issues having 3 guys like that - who expect to start.
I'd love that to happen. It's not like Rooney and RVP have any grounds for complaint. They're both absolutely ****e.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's interesting because I don't recall any Falcao sceptics existing at the time. Was he just not actually that good but everyone was excited by Atletico having a goal-per-game striker? I have to say I remember him being properly incredible. Could be coloured by a few high-profile games like the Europa League finals and the Super Cup, and that goal he scored against Barca. But then the regular La Liga watchers definitely weren't downplaying him either.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The thing I love about that chart is that Costa is above him in 12/13. Add in the extra work rate and it's no surprise Atleti did better the following season. Obviously that chart adds assists, which I don't think anyone has ever claimed to be Falcao's strong point, but they both lead to goals...

King Pietersen

International Captain
41 in 51 for Porto
52 in 68 for Atletico
24 in his first season in La Liga
28 in his second
9 in 17 last season for Monaco

That chart might have him fairly low down, but I don't think anyone can doubt his immense goalscoring ability. He'd be a great signing for any top side, he's a world class striker.

Eds

International Debutant
41 in 51 for Porto
52 in 68 for Atletico
24 in his first season in La Liga
28 in his second
9 in 17 last season for Monaco

That chart might have him fairly low down, but I don't think anyone can doubt his immense goalscoring ability. He'd be a great signing for any top side, he's a world class striker.
The whole point is that penalties bloat his record though. That doesn't add goals to a team unless you really have no decent penalty takers.

Another interesting one:

Llorente = Falcao without the hype.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Falcao is quality and that's speaking beyond the numbers. The kind of shots he gets away (his shooting technique) to score is top echelon stuff, that's what generally impressed me about him more than the raw goal numbers. It definitely smacks of a bit of desperation to get a big name on United's part, but they don't need him scoring at a goal a game. Even at the rate in the above graph would more than do. But beyond goals, there's not much there and that's where I'd be worried if I were a United fan.

King Pietersen

International Captain
If RVP's crocked, which it's looking likely he is, Falcao is a superb signing. The stats tell a story, but not as big a story as watching him play. He's awesome, and if he stays fit, he'll score a boat-load of goals this season.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I haven't seen Falcao play but even if RVP us crocked it doesn't help is win the ball, hold it, move it quickly or creatively. Maybe he's happy with Carrick and Herrera in the middle but with both injured we look ****e there.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Taking away penalties is so, so, dire. Cricket chatesque analysis
Nah come on. How does Atletico Madrid winning loads of penalties help United or any club interested in getting him. As I said something like 80% of penalties are scored by the average premier league player, so even if his record from the spot is 100% it'll only get you an extra goal, or maybe two at absolute tops. Gerrard scored something like 12 goals last season, but you wouldn't buy him to be a goal scoring midfielder at this stage of his career for the same reasons.

It's like adding catches to a bowlers wicket tally. Shane Warne isn't test cricket's leading wicket taker because he got loads more catches than Murali.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not actually all that surprised tbh, last summer we wanted a striker desperately (Suarez, Higuain, Benzema) and we eventually got a forward in Alexis. Outside of that we've replaced like for like:
Debuchy/Sagna
Chambers/Vermaelen
Ospina/Fabianski

I genuinely think that not upgrading on Arteta and not brining in an experienced CB to cover is a far bigger crime than not signing a striker. Aterta's legs are gone and we get butchered on the counter against big sides and we're an injury/suspension away from Chambers and Monreal(?) playing CB.

Up top we'll survive until Theo is back. It's not ideal but it's not criminal. Don't think we should let Campbell leave though, if he wasn't already at the club and we were being linked with him for £10m I think most would see it as a good deal. Our squad is obscenely right-side heavy as it is without letting him go.

Eds

International Debutant
Nah come on. How does Atletico Madrid winning loads of penalties help United or any club interested in getting him. As I said something like 80% of penalties are scored by the average premier league player, so even if his record from the spot is 100% it'll only get you an extra goal, or maybe two at absolute tops. Gerrard scored something like 12 goals last season, but you wouldn't buy him to be a goal scoring midfielder at this stage of his career for the same reasons.

It's like adding catches to a bowlers wicket tally. Shane Warne isn't test cricket's leading wicket taker because he got loads more catches than Murali.
Yeah, exactly this. Gerrard will probably get 10 goals again this season, but if he left then Balotelli would get the same 10 goals because penalties are piss easy. Gerrard leaving wouldn't actually lose Liverpool any goals. Much like Falcao joining Arsenal or United wouldn't gain them any goals (or very few, if so) from penalties.

The difference comes if he won loads of those penalties himself. I have no idea if that's the case.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Falcao moving to Arsenal would definitely gain them goals. They're picking between Sanogo and Podolski up top at the minute. Falcao might boost his record with a few pens, but jesus, he's a FAR better out-and-out striker than anyone Arsenal have. Same with Liverpool. Would take Falcao ahead of Balotelli and Lambert any day of the week. Falcao's now one of the top few strikers in the league, and to suggest otherwise just because he scores a few pens is ridiculous.

Last edited: