• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
There are going to be so many people this season wondering why Balotelli's goals per season has gone down at the end of this season.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
United already have Rooney, Van Persie, Mata and Di Maria though. And if they were desperate then I'm sure a couple of people spending a few hours practicing in training would make up for it. They're not that hard.
I'm really talking about the general point, United are doomed anyway, with that defence not being strengthened. I haven't seen that much of Falcao over the last couple of years. I don't really give a **** about him. Yet I like to be nearly certain when a bloke puts it on the spot that I won't be crushingly disappointed.

All to do with the fact Exeter probably haven't had a decent 'taker since the 90s though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've never said Falcao wouldn't improve us. Would he do so to the tune of £55m and 200k pw? Nah.
United have paid £6m for a year with an option to buy at the end of it. So it's not even like your next year theory bears fruit here.

In the interest of fairness I have been told that it's not a loan and it's just been structured that way to get around FFP but on face value...

Jarquis

Welbeck on loan is something I think I could live with. Suggests that Wenger agrees we can do better next year though

Jarquis

United have paid £6m for a year with an option to buy at the end of it. So it's not even like your next year theory bears fruit here.

In the interest of fairness I have been told that it's not a loan and it's just been structured that way to get around FFP but on face value...
6m loan fee and 365k pw. So as the Telegraph points out it works out as ****ing **** tons.

cpr

International Coach
People talking about Falcao being selfish, not adding to the team, not helping out - Thank ****. We've not had a striker who's been like that since Ruud. Quite frankly we need that option at the moment, as Rooney and RVP keep going to find the ball, and then wonder why there's no one in the box.... I want a 6 yard assassin, he's in to score goals, not defend.

Eds

International Debutant
I can't believe how difficult some people here think it is to score a penalty. All you have to do is get it on target and you're already at well over 50% chance of scoring. Your keeper could probably take them and you'd only miss out on 1/2 goals a season because of it.

It's like bringing in a fly-half who scores a vast amount of his points from penalties and conversions and expecting him to score you a shedload of tries just because he has loads of points. Ain't happening.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
6m loan fee and 365k pw. So as the Telegraph points out it works out as ****ing **** tons.
If the Arse hierarchy don't want him because they feel he's overpriced there is nothing wrong with that

It's, IMO, not for supporters to worry about and also doesn't appear to be among the primary reasons given today by you lot in this thread as to why it was okay you weren't getting him

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've seen it suggested that the option to buy next season might have already been taken, but they just can't confirm it now because of FFP constraints. Would actually love that if true, because I think there's actually decent value in a loan move. At 350 per weak he was never a candidate at Arsenal though. Would be double our next highest earner. Arsenal don't work like that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If the Arse hierarchy don't want him because they feel he's overpriced there is nothing wrong with that

It's, IMO, not for supporters to worry about and also doesn't appear to be among the primary reasons given today by you lot in this thread as to why it was okay you weren't getting him
Why is it something that should only be important for board members and not fans? We both want the club to do well. And of course it's the primary reason we're fine we're not getting him. You think I'd care about him getting 15 goals instead of 20 because of penalties if we were taking him for free and feeding him packets of peanuts?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't believe how difficult some people here think it is to score a penalty. All you have to do is get it on target and you're already at well over 50% chance of scoring. Your keeper could probably take them and you'd only miss out on 1/2 goals a season because of it.
Drivel. Especially in the modern game with the amount of time people spend studying them.

Ryan Taylor only missed two penalties for us in 04/05, both against keepers he'd scored against earlier in the season, because they knew how he took them. Being a quality penalty taker at a high level, or really at any pro level, means you need to be able to eliminate the chance from it.

It's like bringing in a fly-half who scores a vast amount of his points from penalties and conversions and expecting him to score you a shedload of tries just because he has loads of points. Ain't happening.
It's nothing like that at all. Nobody is saying a good penalty taker guarantees you goals all over the pitch. That's a straw man. I'll use my Ryan Taylor example again, it's not like I thought he was going to score all the time because he had 9 goals for the season or whatever. I was always confident at set pieces, and of course pens. And at the end of the season when he was our third highest scorer I never footnoted it with 'but he was our penalty taker' - instead it was - what a right back and my god that dead ball skill

Same goes for a Falcao or a ****ing Ryan L*we. Scores a decent amount anyway and a gun taker to boot: what an asset.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Most strikers and good goal scorers are decent pen takers though. Giroud has always scored for us and I bet Alexis is pretty good. It's a bonus yes but the amount of penalties that players club got last season or the season before that doesn't change how much of a bonus it will be for you unless it's him winning all those penalties.

cpr

International Coach
Cleverley going - Di Maria in
Hernandez gone - replaced by Falcao

Just need Welbeck and Anderson to **** off before we unveil Messi and Ronaldo

Sing it folks - 'We're going to buy the league'......

Eds

International Debutant
It's nothing like that at all. Nobody is saying a good penalty taker guarantees you goals all over the pitch. That's a straw man. I'll use my Ryan Taylor example again, it's not like I thought he was going to score all the time because he had 9 goals for the season or whatever. I was always confident at set pieces, and of course pens. And at the end of the season when he was our third highest scorer I never footnoted it with 'but he was our penalty taker' - instead it was - what a right back and my god that dead ball skill

Same goes for a Falcao or a ****ing Ryan L*we. Scores a decent amount anyway and a gun taker to boot: what an asset.
And that's not what I'm saying either.

My point is that penalties have an 80% conversion rate. This is far, far, *far* more than any other shot anywhere else on the pitch. Why should they be included in the standard goal tally when they take much less skill and are much easier to do?

I'm more than happy to see different players' have their penalty taking skills compared but just lumping them in with standard goals is unfair on those players who don't take them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

We've been through nightmares at Rangers because our board has spunked, and continues to spunk, obscene amounts of cash on rubbish. I'm not buying that supporters shouldn't give a **** because if the directors and manager aren't held accountable then you run the risk of not having a team to support.