• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That Pepe and Fabregas thing was just funny. Pepe and Ramos are such cartoon villains that I just find it entertaining, even more so when Diego Costa is involved as well.

Agree about the time wasting though, they only had one minute of added on time in the first half yesterday.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Three quarters of German club chairmen voting against the use of goalline cameras (despite this goal being awarded just five months ago)

It's not just FIFA who refuse to move into the Century of the Fruitbat...

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I always find attitudes like this properly bizarre.

Yes it's a bit annoying and yes they do it far, far too much. But if you can't enjoy an out-of-this-world game like that because of diving then I'm not sure football is the sport for you. Diving in particular is one of those things that can happen often and not kill a game. If there were just as many niggly fouls as there were dives then we'd all have been bored out of our minds.
Yes you can disagree with it but I don't see how it is a 'properly bizarre' attitude to get fed up with constant diving and play-acting. I personally get pissed off with it, especially to such a great extent, as a football fan and I know plenty of people who are completely put off the sport solely because of that aspect. I wish it would **** off out of the sport.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because two wrongs make a right?
No they don't, but foul play from defenders is equally as abhorrent yet people don't get all up in arms about it. When you see the amount of wrestling that defenders are allowed to get away with at set pieces, is it any wonder that forwards have to resort to throwing themselves to the ground in order to try and win fouls?

Funnily enough when defenders win free kicks by throwing themselves to the ground when under pressure from an opposition forward there's never the same outrage either.

How anyone could watch last night's game then whinge about diving is beyond me. Sure, some of the antics were embarassing, but watch the football ffs.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because two wrongs make a right?
Nah, the point is that you can't deal with one without dealing with the other. Speaking as a scumbag defender, it's ****ing amazing playing against forwards who don't dive. You can hack, shove and wrestle them the whole game and they'll be lucky to get a single free kick for it.

Refs still don't spot a lot of cynical fouls in the Premiership. They always ***** out of booking players in the first fifteen minutes especially.

But the most important thing is that they start giving fouls when the forwards try to stay on their feet. It just doesn't happen- there was a really good example involved Suarez (of all people) during the United-pool game. And if a striker manages to get a shot away despite being absolutely crunched, for some reason that's not a penalty.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I definitely agree with the last bit; however IMO that's a problem that's come about purely because of diving.

Eds

International Debutant
Yes you can disagree with it but I don't see how it is a 'properly bizarre' attitude to get fed up with constant diving and play-acting. I personally get pissed off with it, especially to such a great extent, as a football fan and I know plenty of people who are completely put off the sport solely because of that aspect. I wish it would **** off out of the sport.
I'm not saying it's wrong to get fed up with it. I'm saying it's wrong that people can say it was unwatchable because of the diving.

I'm yet to hear a proper reason why diving is any worse than appealing for a corner/throw-in/etc. you know isn't yours, or a tactical foul from a defender, or asking for another player to be booked, or anything along those lines. And they all happen every single game.

There's a lot of things I wish didn't happen in football but they do, and they happen a lot. Perhaps if they annoy you to that level then football isn't for you.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, the point is that you can't deal with one without dealing with the other. Speaking as a scumbag defender, it's ****ing amazing playing against forwards who don't dive. You can hack, shove and wrestle them the whole game and they'll be lucky to get a single free kick for it.

Refs still don't spot a lot of cynical fouls in the Premiership. They always ***** out of booking players in the first fifteen minutes especially.

But the most important thing is that they start giving fouls when the forwards try to stay on their feet. It just doesn't happen- there was a really good example involved Suarez (of all people) during the United-pool game. And if a striker manages to get a shot away despite being absolutely crunched, for some reason that's not a penalty.
Perfect example; in amongst the doing United took I'd forgotten about that incident. Suarez tries to do the right thing and doesn't get a penalty. How can anyone be surprised that he tends to go to ground a bit easily under slight contact when he doesn't get the decision when he's fouled but doesn't go down?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I definitely agree with the last bit; however IMO that's a problem that's come about purely because of diving.
I would say it's the other way around. If I get clipped, try and stay on my feet and as a result don't get a decision then I'm not going to make any effort to stay on my feet the next time I'm clipped.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm yet to hear a proper reason why diving is any worse than appealing for a corner/throw-in/etc. you know isn't yours, or a tactical foul from a defender, or asking for another player to be booked, or anything along those lines. And they all happen every single game.
If this is serious then I despair. Utterly absurd comparison.

Edit - tactical fouls are rarely gotten away with and are usually a booking. Pretty straightforward. And asking for other players to be booked is a blight on the game and most would agree on that.

But the corner thing. Man, just what.

I sympathise with AMF groups more and more, and I really don't want to

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I would say it's the other way around. If I get clipped, try and stay on my feet and as a result don't get a decision then I'm not going to make any effort to stay on my feet the next time I'm clipped.
The only reasons a player would stay on his feet when fouled are:

1. Feels he has an advantage
2. Is worried the referee may think he has dived
3. Is a complete numpty

Number 1 & 3 are by the by, number 2 wouldn't happen if the game wasn't blighted by diving. No way on any planet is it the other way round.

And y'all would do well to remember that football is a contact sport. People can go on about English stereotypes and all that but that's not really the point.

Eds

International Debutant
If this is serious then I despair. Utterly absurd comparison.

Edit - tactical fouls are rarely gotten away with and are usually a booking. Pretty straightforward. And asking for other players to be booked is a blight on the game and most would agree on that.

But the corner thing. Man, just what.

I sympathise with AMF groups more and more, and I really don't want to
Tactical fouls are rarely gotten away with? FMD there's enough Martin Skrtel shirt-tugging for a YouTube compilation ffs.

And what's so bad about the corner thing? Obviously diving is of more importance in the outcome of a game but they're pretty similar issues, no?