• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tactical fouls are rarely gotten away with? FMD there's enough Martin Skrtel shirt-tugging for a YouTube compilation ffs.

And what's so bad about the corner thing? Obviously diving is of more importance in the outcome of a game but they're pretty similar issues, no?
When you say tactical foul, I'm thinking sawing down a player who's about to break away when you're not the last man. I suppose shirt pulling is tactical, anyhow I agree that it's also a blight but it's also commonly complained about.

The corner thing though, you've got to be kidding. There's the fact that appealing is irrelevant in football (unlike cricket), and that the number of goals score from corners is something absurdly low. It's not in the same ballpark.

Honestly, everyone can go on about all these other things but here are the things that irritate the football fans I know, in no particular order:

Diving
Shirt pulling
Time wasting
Defenders getting away with murder at corners/getting away with things in the box that they wouldn't in a million years outside of it
Overprotection of goalkeepers
Poor refereeing
None given goals because of a lack of technology
Man United

We all agree that the game would be better without all of these I'd have thought. But whenever diving is criticised it seems to be a defence mechanism to make out everyone thinks all of these things are okay too. And it's a bull**** argument in favour of a ****ty practice.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And y'all would do well to remember that football is a contact sport.
It isn't though. It's a physical sport, which is a small but important difference. There's not many instances where deliberately making contact with another player wouldn't be a foul that I can think of.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The only reasons a player would stay on his feet when fouled are:

1. Feels he has an advantage
2. Is worried the referee may think he has dived
3. Is a complete numpty

Number 1 & 3 are by the by, number 2 wouldn't happen if the game wasn't blighted by diving. No way on any planet is it the other way round.

And y'all would do well to remember that football is a contact sport. People can go on about English stereotypes and all that but that's not really the point.
You missed option 4: the contact made wasn't sufficient enough to send him to the deck, but it was enough to impede him/it unbalanced him so much that his attempted shot hit the corner flag.

Eds

International Debutant
The point has digressed from my original post. What I meant was that diving is one of the few things people get really pissy about that doesn't actually have a big effect on the watch-ability of a game assuming the referee actually does his job (and I don't think I'm in the wrong to expect such a thing). I for one would far rather see players throw themselves to the floor than every time there's a half decent run they're brought to the ground with a tactical foul (granted, this did happen after Real decided they just wanted to take chunks out of Barca at the end).

Maybe I just don't get it but what is it about diving that makes a game so unwatchable? It doesn't break up the game given it's usually a last resort for attackers who won't get much else from the play. I understand people disliking diving, I just don't understand how it can make a game as good as that unwatchable for someone.

Oh, and I think we all know appealing for things in football most certainly isn't irrelevant.

The number of goals scored from corners is low, yeah. But why does that make any difference?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The point has digressed from my original post. What I meant was that diving is one of the few things people get really pissy about that doesn't actually have a big effect on the watch-ability of a game assuming the referee actually does his job (and I don't think I'm in the wrong to expect such a thing). I for one would far rather see players throw themselves to the floor than every time there's a half decent run they're brought to the ground with a tactical foul (granted, this did happen after Real decided they just wanted to take chunks out of Barca at the end).

Maybe I just don't get it but what is it about diving that makes a game so unwatchable? It doesn't break up the game given it's usually a last resort for attackers who won't get much else from the play. I understand people disliking diving, I just don't understand how it can make a game as good as that unwatchable for someone.

Oh, and I think we all know appealing for things in football most certainly isn't irrelevant.

The number of goals scored from corners is low, yeah. But why does that make any difference?
Nonsense like Pepe shaping to headbutt Cesc then throwing himself to the ground is embarassing to watch.

Diving only really irritates me when referees are conned by blatant dives despite being 3 yards away.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, the point is that you can't deal with one without dealing with the other. Speaking as a scumbag defender, it's ****ing amazing playing against forwards who don't dive. You can hack, shove and wrestle them the whole game and they'll be lucky to get a single free kick for it.

Refs still don't spot a lot of cynical fouls in the Premiership. They always ***** out of booking players in the first fifteen minutes especially.

But the most important thing is that they start giving fouls when the forwards try to stay on their feet. It just doesn't happen- there was a really good example involved Suarez (of all people) during the United-pool game. And if a striker manages to get a shot away despite being absolutely crunched, for some reason that's not a penalty.
Haha, I'd love to play against you; we could have some interesting chinwags in between trying to kill each other. You'd hate playing against me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Players appealing for a corner makes a difference hardly ever. Referees are often weak but that's one area they don't tend to buckle under player pressure.

The relevance of goals from corners is pretty obvious. Even if appealing for corners made a difference to the referees decision, it would result in a goal and therefore affect the result far less often than a successful dive in the box. It's pretty basic. So even if appealing for that sort of thing made a difference (and it doesn't) it wouldn't be an issue in the same way diving is.

Just as if a player dives on the halfway line, people would be less likely to give a ****.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nonsense like Pepe shaping to headbutt Cesc then throwing himself to the ground is embarassing to watch.

Diving only really irritates me when referees are conned by blatant dives despite being 3 yards away.
Embarassing and hilarious.

Diving used to anoy me a lot more than it does now, the game would be better without it for sure but I am not going to let it bother me.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When you say tactical foul, I'm thinking sawing down a player who's about to break away when you're not the last man. I suppose shirt pulling is tactical, anyhow I agree that it's also a blight but it's also commonly complained about.

The corner thing though, you've got to be kidding. There's the fact that appealing is irrelevant in football (unlike cricket), and that the number of goals score from corners is something absurdly low. It's not in the same ballpark.

Honestly, everyone can go on about all these other things but here are the things that irritate the football fans I know, in no particular order:

Diving
Shirt pulling
Time wasting
Defenders getting away with murder at corners/getting away with things in the box that they wouldn't in a million years outside of it
Overprotection of goalkeepers
Poor refereeing
None given goals because of a lack of technology
Man United

We all agree that the game would be better without all of these I'd have thought. But whenever diving is criticised it seems to be a defence mechanism to make out everyone thinks all of these things are okay too. And it's a bull**** argument in favour of a ****ty practice.
Pretty good post from you. TBH a lot of people I talk too will whine about two much money at the top of the game, just before they go and watch the big Prem game on sky

Would say poor Officiating,rather than just Refs piss me off really badly in the lower Leagues. Linos know the cameras aren't around, so they just stick the flag up for 95% of tight offsides, no goal no big controversy. That ties into a few of those though, like defenders doing what they want, with shirt-pulling and such. They just don't want to make the controversial decisions when they're actually the ones in line to see all this stuff.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't be bothered to get tangled up moaning about diving. It's probably one of the worst things in the game in my opinion, but also one of those things that is no fun at all to discuss.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
"You can score too soon" says Martin Tyler, firstly such a bollocks statement, and secondly it assumes the side you are playing against is decent. Know what Uppercut meant a few days ago, I am pretty conflicted here.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"You can score too soon" says Martin Tyler, firstly such a bollocks statement, and secondly it assumes the side you are playing against is decent. Know what Uppercut meant a few days ago, I am pretty conflicted here.
Haha, I really hate stuff like this.