• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
The thing that has struck me this series is how incompetent the england tail have looked. I mean the tail (in cricket in general) frequently makes not many, because usually its full of average-at-best batsmen - but throughout the whole series it's seemed a surprise if the last 4 wickets put on more than 10. I can't remember that ever being the case, even with McGrath and Warne. 'My boi' Mitch deserves some serious credit for that, it must be a massive boost to have total confidence that a team is 6 out all out (and the later the serious goes, often 4 or 5 out - all out.)
Just think, an England tail of Bres, Broad, Swann, and Anderson could average nearly 90 between them

Riggins

International Captain
A Durhamesque spell from Broad is what I'm counting on. Hopefully in the morning session. All ten wickets. Coz I tired but gonna have to see this one through tonight
Halve the required runs and wickets. Which side would be more disappointed? Difficult really.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Yes. England are very **** right now.

Give Cook a chance to lead them out of it with new players (Stokes, Root etc.)

Will pay off in the long run I reckon.
Root is a problem. Not only is he playing gash, he also destroys our flow. We need an 80 ball 20 like we need a second hole in our ass

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Just think, an England tail of Bres, Broad, Swann, and Anderson could average nearly 90 between them
Don't get your point?

That they're all actually good batsmen who strangely all suck at the short ball? Yeah it's been super convenient someone in the back room worked it all out in the last series.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
A Durhamesque spell from Broad is what I'm counting on. Hopefully in the morning session. All ten wickets. Coz I tired but gonna have to see this one through tonight
Yeah can't really miss this one. Obviously it's better watching us bowl too.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Don't get your point?

That they're all actually good batsmen who strangely all suck at the short ball? Yeah it's been super convenient someone in the back room worked it all out in the last series.
It's reductive to reduce it to the short ball. A 90mph short ball, from a difficult to pick action, on harder wickets, whilst in bad form (in Swann's case)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah more than just the speeds, for me the big thing was that last time he was alright pace but he never really rushed blokes last time like he's been doing here, more than just actually getting to bowl at the tail this series. I've sat behind the bowlers arm for days both series. Last time he seemed sharp but wayward, remember saying to dad he'd be tough if he got it right, but he never did (**** perth) . Watching it this series it's like watching someone on another level, I can't imagine facing it, it's seriously, seriously, quick. That over to Root day 1 melbourne was the quickest over i've seen live by a mile.
Yeah, difference between gun speed and what the bloke at the other end is coping with. Johnson bowling 90+ is nothing new at all but he's managing to make it look like 110+ at the moment. Sometimes, ****s just get everything right and they look unplayable; speed, seam, length. Johnson's also doing it easy because he's fit as. If a bloke is bowling 90+ for a couple of overs, you can get through it (well, y'know, not me but someone who can bat....). Someone doing it all day and then he arcs up even more if he takes a wicket at quarter to six, **** that.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
It's reductive to reduce it to the short ball. A 90mph short ball, from a difficult to pick action, on harder wickets, whilst in bad form (in Swann's case)
Okay. I don't think it is. One of the things you always here from commentators is how bowlers should treat tail enders the same as any other player and just bowl top of off etc, particularly when plans to them aren't working. It's a massive thing in this series that the tail has got almost exculsively short stuff when they've got no idea against it and really proves that old rhetoric wrong if not misguided. They are all pretty reasonable batsmen, who are acutally really effective when you bowl to them like normal batters, but they've looked like schoolgirls.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did anyone ever comment on this btw

Michael Vaughan ‏@MichaelVaughan 27 Dec
England batted in 1st gear yesterday and have decided to come out and bat in 6th gear today...!!! #Ashes.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also he seems to have a really awkward action to pick up, only see the ball at the last minute.
Yeah, Ed Cowan writes about it in this article from 2011:

Watching from behind the arm, as most close observers of the game prefer to do, does not convey a sense of how hard it is to pick up his first few deliveries. He rocks back after the familiar rhythmical approach, and then it seems you wait an eternity for the ball to be launched towards you. An ever-so-brief moment of panic can sweep across you as you realise he has let it go but you have not picked it up until the ball is halfway down. There is certainly some luck involved in getting through those early exchanges - if one delivery is on the money, your day can be over before it really begins. So much of the advance information gained by batsmen about the length of a delivery vanishes when the bowler possesses such an action.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What a day of cricket. Really enjoyed the wheels falling off for England.

What the **** was that from Bell. One of the funniest shots of the day along with Bresnan

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I know KP and Cook haven't hit the heights expected of them but they both have 50s in s game with no 100s. KP has been stranded twice and he's at 4. They are not the core of the batting problems. Six was a problem but Stokes has done ok and deserves a run. For me Carbs and Root are a problem. At 33 Carbs isn't offering much by getting starts and getting out. His limited scoring range can be strangled. Roots not an opener or a 3. He doesn't counter attack or look safe when set. When he bats slowly with Carbs the scoring plummets. Same with Cook when the bowling is denying him his scoring areas.

The lower order , including the keeper, is mostly cannon fodder in this series. I don't have the stats but there seems to be zero output from the lower order. This is mostly due to MJ but the lack of application and care is glaring.

Cook is a poor captain in the field but options are limited and all the negative play isn't just him. It was a style of play that previously worked. Time for a rethink.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watched the highlights on cricket.com.au. Holy **** Bill Lawry :laugh: Such a genius.

And another day another class Brad Haddin half century. WPWB take a bow, showing everyone why he has that title.

Woodster

International Captain
I know KP and Cook haven't hit the heights expected of them but they both have 50s in s game with no 100s. KP has been stranded twice and he's at 4. They are not the core of the batting problems. Six was a problem but Stokes has done ok and deserves a run. For me Carbs and Root are a problem. At 33 Carbs isn't offering much by getting starts and getting out. His limited scoring range can be strangled. Roots not an opener or a 3. He doesn't counter attack or look safe when set. When he bats slowly with Carbs the scoring plummets. Same with Cook when the bowling is denying him his scoring areas.

The lower order , including the keeper, is mostly cannon fodder in this series. I don't have the stats but there seems to be zero output from the lower order. This is mostly due to MJ but the lack of application and care is glaring.

Cook is a poor captain in the field but options are limited and all the negative play isn't just him. It was a style of play that previously worked. Time for a rethink.
For me, currently we have Root and Stokes batting in places higher than they conceivably should be. Initially I hoped Root be retained as an opener but once Carberry was installed in that position and Root was dropped down to six he should have remained there once Trott was forced to return home. Ian Bell should have been moved to three as he is England's class act (though I refuse to comment on his dismissal earlier!) and Root should have been allowed to continue down the order at five. Root has shown he has something about him, same with Stokes, and that they are worth persevering with while they gain experience at this level and develop their own game and understand how they are best playing. Stokes is of course the only centurion for England so far but again for me he's a place too high at six and that's because Prior's form has been so woeful otherwise I'm sure he'd have moved up the order.

Carberry's a difficult one. He has looked very comfortable a lot of the time he's been in the middle. He's not been rushed too much by Johnson's pace and can be positive against spin, but now it appears he is focusing on trying to bat long so he will retain his place in the next series by going big, but as a consequence he seems reluctant now to play any shots. Also at times during some of his earlier innings he has gone into his shell and struggled then to get out of it, a criticism directed at Nick Compton also. He's had so many starts and looked good a fair few of those innings, but he is far from securing the spot at the top if he fails to get a big score in his remaining innings.

None of the batsmen that do not have credit in the bank to save their place have really done enough to consolidate their position. Yes, Root, Carberry, and to a lesser degree Bairstow have shown glimpses of potential that they can succeed in Test cricket, but none of them would be considered certainties for the next series, but Root certainly should be retained, but not as number three. Even Stokes hasn't done enough to convince he's a certainty at number six, would much prefer him at seven and a keeper/bat at six.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Clarke is probably the most consistent converter in the world when set after Sanga. 10 runs is not getting set. And precisely which India series did you watch?
Australia in India 2013
Clarke scored 130.31(70 min).91.16(39 min).0.18(53 min).Six outings.1 hundred.one 91 and nothing else for the others in spite of spending some time at the crease on three occasions

Ashes series in England

Clarke scored

0.23(92 min).28(57 min).51(122 min).187.30 not out.6(42 min).21(43 min).7(46 min).28 not out

Out of the 10 innings he got out six times after getting in.

Only 1 hundred and 1 fifty in 10 innings

In the current current series

1.113.148.22(77 min).24(58 min).23(63 min).10(61 min)

2 hundreds and then nothing to speak of

This is only a recent phenomenon and that is why I used the word recently in my post

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Lame. Absolutely no need for that at all.
I can do without your moral indignation. He invented a straw man rather than debating what I'd actually posted. By pointing out that he's an experienced poster with a pretentious-sounding title I was merely trying to prick the conscience of one who should be setting a good example, not posting dishonestly. Not too surprised to see you line up behind such tactics as you normally post even more drivel than he does.