• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Whether or not Warner's comments brought all this to head or not, they were pretty harsh for a sporting press conference. It's the kind of boorish, twattish behaviour people have come to expect from him.

Last edited:

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Lets just ban any sort of banter or jokes, since some people on earth may have "Stuff" going on.

Warner's actions should not even be in discussion.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lets just ban any sort of banter or jokes, since some people on earth may have "Stuff" going on.

Warner's actions should not even be in discussion.
Obv Warner didn't intend for this to happen.

But, questioning a guy's courage and calling him "scared" and "weak" in a public forum is uncalled for, and inappropriate.

Warner needs to grow up. He could have said any number of things like "A couple of the Poms looked pretty scared of MJ today" or "I don't think they can handle MJ's pace" but to single Trott out as weak and scared is a low call imo.

Woodster

International Captain
Massive blow for the England squad losing a very popular member of the side by all accounts, this is not to mention his outstanding ability with the bat despite that coming under serious scrutiny prior to today. But of the course the bigger issue is that he now concentrates on getting back to full health, I won't try and pretend I understand stress related illnesses, what triggers them, what effects certain things have, etc, I just hope Trott is now given the help he needs and responds well to the treatment and makes a full recovery.

91Jmay

International Coach
Dave Warners comments have no bearing on this. If you seriously think anything that bloke said can 'give' someone depression or acute stress, you seriously misunderstand the illnesses.

Great credit to Trotty for doing the right thing, hope he feels better soon.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Whether Warner apologises or not has nothing to do with his nationality. You should apologise for stereotyping a whole nation and make your donation any way.
I have probably already strayed into "war mongering" a bit and am keen not to stray further at the same time I feel my point has some validity so I will walk a tight rope in my response.
Firstly to clarify - I do apologize for stretching my claim to all australians I was more focused on australian cricketers which is nearly as bad a generalization but not quite. A commonly held generalization about your team overseas is that they will say anything to win and not apologize for it. Hence my generalization.
The other reason why I feel nationality is a factor here is that Warner is representing Australian cricket with his comments. If the leadership of Australian cricket wanted to they could direct him to apologize. Which I also see as unlikely.

The final point I will end with is why an apology is in order. Warner had no idea that Trott had a stress condition. Warner's remarks may have inadvertantly exacerbated Trott's condition. And just in case they did the correct thing to do, if winning at cricket is not his only priority in life, would be to apologize just in case they may have caused some damage.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very sad. Hope he recovers, but it's so difficult to come back from something as serious as this. You can't just "heal" mental issues. If he does make it back again and has a lengthy career it'll be a great achievement. Wish him all the best

OverratedSanity

And although Warner didn't exactly apologise he has atleast come out and said his comments went a bit too far. By his standards, classy

flibbertyjibber

Interesting consensus developing in this thread.
Well everyone agrees Warner is a dick and Trott has done the brave and correct thing in speaking out now.

Not that Warner had anything to do with this, just the tip of a very large iceberg. Who knows Warner being a dick might be the best thing that happened to Trott. Doubt we will ever know.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
2. Your Mum's dead, how funny. That cancer your Dad's slowly dying from is deserved. How is your disabled Daughter doing?
Yeah and you'll look like a 12 year old if you instigate a pissing match with those words. For instance, if someone asks you what your team mate's **** tastes like and you say "Ask your wife", it doesn't matter if she is dying of cancer or whatever the ****. You don't go up to a guy and punch him in the face and call him a **** for hitting back.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sad news :( Hope the break and being back home helps him and he can start to recover. Was a brave effort from him to attempt the tour.

Obviously Warner didn't trigger this - not that we'd ever know, but I'd like to think he's passed on his best wishes to Trott regardless in private. Would be the right thing to do. I'm sure he feels bad given the circumstances.

And Flower showed his class for the zillionth time today. The way he speaks in situations such as this one, when Davies came out, when Monty had his meltdown... and many others. He must have so much respect from the team.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Warner has proven he's a **** bloke and I'd be happy for him not to be in the team if we had other people scoring runs. He's not smart, has a poor vocabulary and shoots off at the mouth. Not a great combination.

the big bambino

International Captain
I have probably already strayed into "war mongering" a bit and am keen not to stray further at the same time I feel my point has some validity so I will walk a tight rope in my response.
Firstly to clarify - I do apologize for stretching my claim to all australians I was more focused on australian cricketers which is nearly as bad a generalization but not quite. A commonly held generalization about your team overseas is that they will say anything to win and not apologize for it. Hence my generalization.
The other reason why I feel nationality is a factor here is that Warner is representing Australian cricket with his comments. If the leadership of Australian cricket wanted to they could direct him to apologize. Which I also see as unlikely.

The final point I will end with is why an apology is in order. Warner had no idea that Trott had a stress condition. Warner's remarks may have inadvertantly exacerbated Trott's condition. And just in case they did the correct thing to do, if winning at cricket is not his only priority in life, would be to apologize just in case they may have caused some damage.
I certainly don't want a flame fight. I did take your comment as a generalisation and I think you can see why I did. Our cricketers (and crowds) have a rep for sure. From my perspective I've never seen any other side apologise for OTT behaviour either. Whether it be directed at Greg Matthews or when India literally got in Clarke's face in Perth.

CA is sensitive to criticism and if it the issue became political they would force Warner to apologise. But he hasn't been cited or even blamed for Trott's condition so I can see why they don't think an apology is necessary. I agree, though, that Warner's comments were uncalled for. It wasn't sledging but ridicule. I too would be pleased if he apologised for them. You couldn't help notice the proximity of his remarks and Trott's decn to leave the tour. Hopefully he'd regret that rather thinking one down ten to go.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Obviously Warner didn't trigger this - not that we'd ever know, but I'd like to think he's passed on his best wishes to Trott regardless in private. Would be the right thing to do. I'm sure he feels bad given the circumstances.
Probably why it's probably safe to assume he's done no such thing to be honest. An appalling specimen.

wiff

First Class Debutant
If David Warner does the classy thing and apologises then I will not only also apologize to all the Australian fans but I will also donate $200 to the Cancer society.
As an Australian I apoliogise for David Warner.

TNT

Banned
Warner did nothing wrong and should not apologize. The ECB are at complete fault for putting Trott in a position he was uncomfortable with if there is any blame to be laid. It seems to me that the ECB is not very good at managing these situations as this is not the first time its happened.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Half agree with both sides regarding the Warner thing. Basically agree with Monk about the comments themselves. Needless and petty. The key point though IMO is that they would have been needless and petty (and no worse than that) whether Trott turned out to have a mental illness or not. Warner (presumably) wasn't to know that. As it turns out, Trott did have a stress-related condition, and his comments clearly don't help. Think it's pretty clueless to suggest that someone calling you weak in public is not going to affect someone who is already managing a stress-related condition. I wouldn't like to be called weak in front of millions of people, and I'm not managing a stress-related condition, so I wouldn't like to think what it's like to have that happen if you are managing one.

MoxPearl said:
Don't think anyone is suggesting getting rid of any sort of banter but anything that is personal (as Warner's comments were, at least as they've been reported in what I've read anyway) should be off-limits. Sleding someone about their technique is fine, questioning them as a person is not. Obviously this can differ depending on who it's between as well, but I think it's a fair assumption that Warner and Trott aren't best mates so the comments are IMO out of line.

I've sort of changed my opinion slightly as I've been writing this post. Was going to say in the first paragraph "Warner wasn't to know Trott has a mental illness which is obviously a pretty big long shot". Then realised that it's fairly common knowledge now that a cricketer suffering from/attempting to manage a mental condition isn't such a long shot, and Warner should probably have considered this before speaking. That just makes his comments more stupid as opposed to more ****ish though, as I obviously don't think that the outcome was Warner's intention.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The ECB are at complete fault for putting Trott in a position he was uncomfortable with if there is any blame to be laid. It seems to me that the ECB is not very good at managing these situations as this is not the first time its happened.
I agree with this bit and I'm surprised it's not getting more of a mention.