• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think I'm right in saying that having a international side playing in UEFA comps has the prerequisite of having a national league, so I guess it must.

If memory serves that's why the League of Wales was set up, despite the best Taff teams befoulling our league system before and after.
Liechtenstein don't have a national league, all their clubs play in the Swiss league.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just doing his usual, and tiresome, real life trolling thing. I'm kind of bored of him already.
Yeah. I'd be happy to see most of the EPL managers not interviewed at all actually. Perhaps they could reverse the current ruling to put that one in place.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah. I'd be happy to see most of the EPL managers not interviewed at all actually. Perhaps they could reverse the current ruling to put that one in place.
The standard of interviewing in sport in general is pretty terrible to be honest. You can pretty much guarantee that the interviewer will ask something extremely stupid, such as "you must be pleased to have won/scored a goal?"

The typical response will then be: "yeah of course, blah blah it's nice, but the most important thing is the result/team performance blah blah".

And then you get people like Mourinho who think they are extremely clever, but don't realise they have basically become a parody of themselves.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Anyway, Arsenal apparently launching a £40m bid for Benzema today. Seems totally stupid to me, since target number one was obviously Higuain, but they wouldn't go as high as £30m for him.

I've never been a fan of Benzema, but he's better than what Arsenal have already, and beggars (even once who boast about having £70m in reserve) can't be choosers, and new players are desperately needed.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Di Maria as well, which would be excellent.

Benzema is (youngsters aside) Real's only striker though so would Arsenal be part funding a Madrid move for Suarez? They really need Suarez so much more than Bale anway, unless Ronaldo starts playing as a central striker.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, Arsenal apparently launching a £40m bid for Benzema today. Seems totally stupid to me, since target number one was obviously Higuain, but they wouldn't go as high as £30m for him.

I've never been a fan of Benzema, but he's better than what Arsenal have already, and beggars (even once who boast about having £70m in reserve) can't be choosers, and new players are desperately needed.
I'd be surprised if Real let him go...but dude, he is a great forward IMO. Him alone can push you guys as contenders for title IMO.

Pothas

Nah he is not THAT good. I mean Van Persie is better and Arsenal were miles from the title. I know they have a stronger squad than that now but it is not that much better,

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah he is not THAT good. I mean Van Persie is better and Arsenal were miles from the title. I know they have a stronger squad than that now but it is not that much better,
In a team where its almost a rule that Ronaldo has to score a goal, he has 88 goals and 49 assists in 184 matches (Wiki). And Real aren't tailored to his strengths IMO. In a team like Arsenal he would be the focus of the attack. He was also a beast in Lyon IMO.

Not sure you can compare the Arsenal RVP left with the one now. IMO they're much better (Cazorla being a big reason why). If RVP is better, I'm not sure it's that much of a difference TBF.

More to ponder is how he'd adapt to the premier league IMO. Should also clarify, by contender I mean it'd be less of a discussion of about top 4 and more of in the top 3; even if they're not the strongest of contenders. Having said that...Spurs look to add 2 quality players soon.

Last edited:

Pothas

I would like the move to happen because would be interested to see how he goes. Never saw much of him at Lyon and he has never entierly convinced at Madrid, thought he was poor for France in the Euros as well. He is quite obviously a talented player but Van Persie a long way ahead after his last two seasons.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Anyone who doubts Benzema's quality should watch the first game they played against us in the group stages last season. Pushed Kompany around like he was a small child, dominated us and scored an incredibly skillful goal. He may not be the most consistent player but he is an insane talent.

Pothas

So apparently Anelka has walked out on West Brom and is retiring, fitting end to his career if true.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a team where its almost a rule that Ronaldo has to score a goal, he has 88 goals and 49 assists in 184 matches (Wiki). And Real aren't tailored to his strengths IMO. In a team like Arsenal he would be the focus of the attack. He was also a beast in Lyon IMO.
I don't agree with this logic at all. Madrid are miles better than all but one of the other teams in their league and refuse to play anything other than extremely attacking football. However many goals you score as a striker there, you'll probably score less somewhere else.

He was incredible at Lyon but that was four years ago and his career since has been a real mix. His only really impressive season was two years ago and he was in and out of the team a lot last season. He's clearly insanely talented but he's had a lot of problems with loss of motivation and falling out with managers (what is it with French players?). All that said, I think he'd be a fantastic signing for Arsenal if they can get him. But I wouldn't put him on the same level as RVP or Suarez and I don't think he'd turn them into title challengers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Real Madrid shop is already selling Bale shirts apparently. Coentrao to go the other way.

Andros Townsend did a pretty good Bale impression this afternoon.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, someone posted a screenshot of the shop's website. Seems they are defo selling them.

Not the be all and end all mind you, I remember Barca printed a few shirts with Beckham on the back before he joined Real Madrid. But yeah, I think this one is pretty much done. Seeya Bale.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Remember that dickhead City fan who was photographed with Rooney on his shirt about an hour before he signed a new contract with United