• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look Adders, why do you get so wound up about people thinking your talking rubbish, or not admiring your posts. I'm not saying I'm one of these people.

Hardly anyone cares about my posts, I get in silly trivial arguments throughout my plodding, interminably long innings on this forum.

If people don't appreciate my point of view, wind 'em up a bit and move on. Who cares, it's a ****ing cricket forum, it really shouldn't be any indicator of your life or worth. Being liked is really over-rated.

Sorry that's a bit deep, but I don't understand why you get so wound up.

grecian

yes, not everyone can step back and simply accept this kind of stuff, and you shouldn't expect them to, it's quite a good attitude you have there tbh, but it doesn't come naturally to everyone.
TBF, I didn't always have it, a certain poster wound me up no end in my formative years here....

Son Of Coco

Interesting. So we don't understand?? We're wrong because we don't understand and can't see what has been playing out in front of us these last few weeks?? At least you're polite when you're being condescending:p

I'll have to go back and actually count how many times I have paid credit to the discipline of the Aussie bowlers and their plans........pretty sure sure I haven't ever "assumed they have no plans" and this has all been a hit and miss contest.

What I am trying to say is that there is more than just good plans being executed here. If the ****ing know it alls here can see what the Aussies are doing don't you think Cook and Flower may have a fair idea too??? Seeing the plan and having the form and confidence to deal with it are two very different things.

Looks like the only way this argument will be settled is after the return series in Oz. If Cook, Trott, KP and Prior all collectively play below what their careers suggest is their level then I will take my hat off to your bowlers and admit our failures are all down to them. If 1 or more of them turn it around and have bonza series then it looks like acceptance will have to be given to the fact that in this series, a COMBINATION of good bowling and poor batting were the reason England found themselves 30/3 too often to be acceptable.
Assuming everything remains constant in cricket...and, of course, it always does, then you'll be right about whatever happens in Australia during The Ashes there.

Counteracting a plan isn't just down to confidence and form.

And maybe we can get better at pretending and nodding our heads when rubbish like 'England are playing at 80%' is being spouted while career averages are quoted as evidence so nobody has a hissy fit :happy:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Look Adders, why do you get so wound up about people thinking your talking rubbish, or not admiring your posts. I'm not saying I'm one of these people.

Hardly anyone cares about my posts, I get in silly trivial arguments throughout my plodding, interminably long innings on this forum.

If people don't appreciate my point of view, wind 'em up a bit and move on. Who cares, it's a ****ing cricket forum, it really shouldn't be any indicator of your life or worth. Being liked is really over-rated.

Sorry that's a bit deep, but I don't understand why you get so wound up.
Wow, firstly what makes you think I crave admiration for my posts??

I'm quite capable of posting my fair share of Gash and most times I know it straight away, and when I don't it won't take much of a reasoned argument for me to see it. I'm not pig headed like a few here seem to be and I certainly don't take my self as seriously as you seem to think I do.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Alright, let's leave this discussion here guys. It clearly isn't going anywhere and doesn't look like it will get any better.

Stop intentionally winding each other up or I will be handing out infractions and closing the thread.

91Jmay

International Coach
The plans to Trott should be reasonably clear from what Clarke's done with the field. They've regularly put men on the leg-side when he's come in and bowled a few short ones to him haven't they? Prior doesn't like the ball coming back in to him, so targeting the stumps early is a good idea, and I think the Aussies have also done this. I haven't watched a lot of Pieterson batting, so I'm not sure what the plans are to him, but from what I've seen they seem to be trying to keep it in the corridor early. Has Watto also been on to him early due to the fact he keeps it pretty tight? Pietersen is another batsman that is harder to pin down because he has so many shots and plays many of them very well.

They've also given Root little width.

I'd say the reason why there's not any decent debate is one side doesn't understand what the Australian bowlers have been trying to do, and thus assume they have no plans and it's all down to the English batsmen being 'out of form', and the other side can't understand how you can't see what the plans actually are.

There's really no debate to be had. If you don't understand the plans behind some of the dismissals and how these contribute to the batsman's downfall then that's that.

The main difference between this Ashes and the last is that Australia hasn't bowled a pile of **** on regular occasions. Their bowling has been very disciplined.
Prior and Root I 100% agree with, and to an extent Cook and KP but no way have Australia bowled that well to Trott. He has got himself out when set three times,and has been scoring freely. They did have a plan to bowl bouncers at him that worked 2nd dig at Durham, but before that they were just bowling full balls on his legs as the plan, and it hasn't really worked at all until he got himself out.

grecian

Alright, let's leave this discussion here guys. It clearly isn't going anywhere and doesn't look like it will get any better.

Stop intentionally winding each other up or I will be handing out infractions and closing the thread.
What, surely you can't close the 4th Test thread, whatever will we talk about now:p