• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Did anyone else notice the state of Rogers?? he looked like a hobo!! I reckon he must have forgot his kit bag or something and had to rummage around the bins at TB to find some gear. Especially that arm pad.......looked like something my dog dug up.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Did anyone else notice the state of Rogers?? he looked like a hobo!! I reckon he must have forgot his kit bag or something and had to rummage around the bins at TB to find some gear. Especially that arm pad.......looked like something my dog dug up.
I really noticed, perhaps I just assumed a guy of his age wore gear made last century anyway:laugh:

the big bambino

International Captain
. So put simply, if he outbowls Bird in this series (assuming Bird gets some games), then I'll taste it and taste it hard.
Nup you were making a preference for Bird. No qualifications as I recall. (Can understand it too as I was wavering on Siddle but had him in my side.) So you're tasting it hard right now

Ruckus

International Captain
Nup you were making a preference for Bird. No qualifications as I recall. (Can understand it too as I was wavering on Siddle but had him in my side.) So you're tasting it hard right now
Interesting reasoning. Siddle's 5-for meant Bird would have bowled badly does it? Not to mention I said I would have replaced Starc with Bird before Siddle if that was the only choice. I also said I expected Siddle, quote, "to do at least a serviceable job". He has done better than that, he has done an excellent job (so far). So to that extent I was wrong, and if that means I'm "tasting it hard" then so be it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Arguments over how wrong people were have forever been a stain on CW. Not aimed at anyone in particular but rather everyone :p

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I actually thought Smith played the ball later than most yesterday. Certainly at times he looked awkward, but so did everyone really. Not like he was the only bloke from either side who played and missed. He doesn't seem as leg side of the ball as he was previously, but then again it was early hours of the morning when I woke up on the lounge and began watching again.

I sometimes think when we've had a generation which picked up the line early and just hit through it, that when we see guys play late like Smith (and Root) did yesterday there's all sorts of oohs and ahhs, when really they're just playing for late movement. It often makes you look hurried or ungainly, but it's preferable to playing an elegant drive at the inital line of a ball then turning around to see you've been castled.
Yeah, Guptill is the archetypical drive-through-the-line batsman, but plenty other batsmen are guilty of it to some degree. Clarke used to do it a fair bit, and Pietersen's dismissal in particular was a good example of someone not thinking about late movement.

Often the batsmen who are intent on playing late have to trade out their cover drives because they're not quick enough to recognise the fully pitched up delivery. This is what I find so special about Sangakkarra - he plays movement especially well, but still has a glorious cover-drive.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
reckon that was so predictable from Watson. Has a few warm up matches where he smashes around some trundlers for some fairly big run-a-ball scores, then comes into this with false confidence thinking he can replicate it and ends up being too reckless.

Not sure what the heck Cowan was doing either. Was either really nervous and just had a brain explosion or thought he would try and be a hero. Not good enough though whatever the reason.
Watson just got a good ball whilst Cowan was horrible

the big bambino

International Captain
Interesting reasoning. Siddle's 5-for meant Bird would have bowled badly does it? Not to mention I said I would have replaced Starc with Bird before Siddle if that was the only choice. I also said I expected Siddle, quote, "to do at least a serviceable job". He has done better than that, he has done an excellent job (so far). So to that extent I was wrong, and if that means I'm "tasting it hard" then so be it.
Did you choose Pattinson, Harris and Bird?

social

I actually thought Smith played the ball later than most yesterday. Certainly at times he looked awkward, but so did everyone really. Not like he was the only bloke from either side who played and missed. He doesn't seem as leg side of the ball as he was previously, but then again it was early hours of the morning when I woke up on the lounge and began watching again.

I sometimes think when we've had a generation which picked up the line early and just hit through it, that when we see guys play late like Smith (and Root) did yesterday there's all sorts of oohs and ahhs, when really they're just playing for late movement. It often makes you look hurried or ungainly, but it's preferable to playing an elegant drive at the inital line of a ball then turning around to see you've been castled.
I thought Smith was bloody good and he has obviously improved massively since the last time he played test cricket against England

Having said that, they fed his strengths (short and leg side) and the proof will be when and if they start dragging him forward outside off

social

Watson pushing hard at it did not help him at all, tbh. Didn't see the Cowan ball, switched off once Watson went.
Probably not but it was a perfectly pitched leg cutter so I don't know that it would've mattered that much

Cowan's ball was just wide filth met with a worse shot from someone who is in the team to protect the middle order