• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One thing with TH I agree with. The rest of the batting have sucked balls with their intent and application too.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hmm, we're getting thumped. Shall we blame the bowlers who went at 15 an over in the last five or the batsmen who've tossed away starts when set...?

Nah, it's definitely the fault of the guy on 81*.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm, we're getting thumped. Shall we blame the bowlers who went at 15 an over in the last five or the batsmen who've tossed away starts when set...?

Manipulating the debate 101

People are explaining why Trott's innings isn't great in response to TH saying its fine. He is most certainly not being blamed for the loss.

Spark

Global Moderator

Hey, no one's saying it's his fault. We're just explaining why this innings hasn't really been appropriate to the situation.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not hard to look good on the Taunton road. Better bowling and he looks all at sea. Add in his sloppy glovework and the hype about him is undeserved.
Oh stop talking rubbish, he's not just scored at Taunton, and his overall 50 over record is why he was selected.

Oh and more trottsfault stuff, he nearly is hitting at 100 now, and our bowling was much worse we had denbach and woakes bowling. The rest of us have been ****.

Stapel

International Regular

I guess people are judging Trott by his reputation (right or wrong), rather than his performance today.

thierry henry

International Coach
Name me a case where that's been successful in a big (300+) chase. The vast proportion of these successful chases are approached by going big at the start.
2nd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Feb 18, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

NZ chased 340 and Ross Taylor made 117(127). We got 112 off the last 12 overs to win after he got out. Very similar s/r to Trott today and he got out at just the wrong time. I don't recall anyone criticising him at all.

Pothas

Not hard to look good on the Taunton road. Better bowling and he looks all at sea. Add in his sloppy glovework and the hype about him is undeserved.
Have you actually watched him though? Success is never certain but it is really not hard to see that he is a special talent.

grecian

Hey, no one's saying it's his fault. We're just explaining why this innings hasn't really been appropriate to the situation.
I just looked at this thread, the last few pages have been almost exclusively trott slagging, slag the ****ers getting out, without going at a particularly high rate themselves it's ****ing ridiculous.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I guess people are judging Trott by his reputation (right or wrong), rather than his performance today.
How is anyone doing that? We're discussing this particular innings and have given examples of why this particular innings isn't great.

I'm happy with people disagreeing with Spark, PEWS, myself and whoever else thinks Trott hasn't played this exactly well. But to completely misrepresent what we are saying is a bit unnecessary. We aren't referring to his knock in 2011 or whatever, and we're not blaming him for the loss. England's batting lineup without KP is ****house in general if their bowlers don't perform.

Spark

Global Moderator
I just looked at this thread, the last few pages have been almost exclusively trott slagging, slag the ****ers getting out, without going at a particularly high rate themselves it's ****ing ridiculous.
It's a discussion. The topic was brought up (repeatedly), it was discussed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah ridiculous. Its just been a debate with TH.

IF you want me to tell you that the rest of your team is ****, I am happy to though. Seriously ordinary ODI batting lineup.

Oh and Dernbach is lol suckness.

thierry henry

International Coach
Trott is on to score a run-a-ball century here. I do not see that as a major problem. England are behind the run rate because they COLLECTIVELY scored too slow, and they are going to lose because everyone other than Trott got out without scoring enough runs.

That Taylor example is fairly typical imo, not strange at all to have a guy in a big chase making a big score at a little less than the required rate.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't know what else you can possibly expect him to do. The way England are set up to chase totals, as has been mentioned, is to start at a moderate pace and set a platform for Morgan and Buttler to try finishing it off; Trott's role is clearly to strike at 90+ and help lay the platform.

What kind of innings is appropriate to the situation of every other batsman getting out cheaply whilst chasing 360? A double ton @ SR 140? That's the only thing that would get us over the line here, and calling out JT's innings as "inappropriate" seems like Trott-bashing for the sake of Trott-bashing. If Root was 83* off 88 we wouldn't be having this discussion and it would be the boy on the burning deck.

Mike5181

International Captain
2nd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Feb 18, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

NZ chased 340 and Ross Taylor made 117(127). We got 112 off the last 12 overs to win after he got out. Very similar s/r to Trott today and he got out at just the wrong time. I don't recall anyone criticising him at all.
Trott's strike rate today was fine. Give it a few overs and he would be scoring at a rate higher than a run a ball. He really needed one of Morgan, Buttler etc to come out and play like McCullum but it didn't happen today.

Spark

Global Moderator
How is anyone doing that? We're discussing this particular innings and have given examples of why this particular innings isn't great.

I'm happy with people disagreeing with Spark, PEWS, myself and whoever else thinks Trott hasn't played this exactly well. But to completely misrepresent what we are saying is a bit unnecessary. We aren't referring to his knock in 2011 or whatever, and we're not blaming him for the loss. England's batting lineup without KP is ****house in general if their bowlers don't perform.
I'm not even saying that he's played that badly - but he's simply scored too slow, without seeking enough boundaries to keep the RR under control (by which I mean <9RPO). That's really it.

In the end, individual strike rates are a furphy in ODI chases. What matters is the required run rate and that has simply not been controlled at all.

Last edited: