• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only more over-blown issue in cricket than excessive appealing is slow over-rates. If you want to be a dick and appeal for everything then go ahead IMO; it'll not only make you look like a complete fool but open you up to a potential boy-who-cried-wolf situation with the umpires subconsciously.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've got no beef with this pitch. You can make runs on it if you bat properly and there's still enough speed in the pitch that it's not slow ****ty turn.

I had bulk beef with that pitch in Sri Lanka because it was dead slow, not just a turner. Was **** to watch.
expecting migara to grace us with his presence thanks to this post

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So your solution is to drop everyone?

Makes perfect sense.
What exactly have Cowan, Maxwell, Watson, Wade, etc done that makes indispensible?

Take Cowan as an example

Has never been one of the 2 best openers in Australia, averages 32 in test cricket and has virtually no potential for improvement

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The only more over-blown issue in cricket than excessive appealing is slow over-rates. If you want to be a dick and appeal for everything then go ahead IMO; it'll not only make you look like a complete fool but open you up to a potential boy-who-cried-wolf situation with the umpires subconsciously.
One added bonus of UDRS (IMHO, obvz) is the "put up or shut up" aspect of it; the if you really think it's out, refer it type deal.

I'm generalising massively here, but Indian teams, on the whole, do appeal excessively. With UDRS they'd look even more daft when they appeals continued after the umps' headshakes.

#newleveltotheconspiracy

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I want to see one actual street fight among players on the field. Just once. I want it to be Ishant v Warner OR Kohli v anyone really.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Some of the intense Sessions of Test cricket....India will lose this by 50 runs or so.............

Smith and Lyon will destroy us!!!

dermo

International Vice-Captain
What exactly have Cowan, Maxwell, Watson, Wade, etc done that makes indispensible?

Take Cowan as an example

Has never been one of the 2 best openers in Australia, averages 32 in test cricket and has virtually no potential for improvement
nah **** look at cowans performaces over this series, hes improved massively particularly his play of spin bowling

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's that much wrong with it, myself. It's obviously a big turner but I don't think it's impossible to bat on at all. I wouldn't really want to see a pitch turn more than this but this is okay.

I wouldn't say it did Test cricket no credit anyway. It was really compelling to watch India bat against Lyon, as it is to watch Smith bat at the moment. If anything is doing Test cricket no credit it's the standard of Australia's batting.
Completely agree. It's not a great wicket but no way as unplayable as is made out by incompetent batting.

The partnership of Pujara and Vijay followed by Dravid and Laxman of even two years ago and a Tendulkar not trying to save face with shattered confidence, would have shown how much could have been scored in that first Indian innings.

When Steve Smith bats and one can see it is as if its a different track and easier bowling. With Clarke it would have been better. The other Australian who showed the value of proper footwork against the turning ball on these wickets was Starc,who sadly is also missing. This is an Aussie side with the top order having no clue on how to play spin. That has to be factored when assessing the Aussie struggle . Siddle, Starc and Smith versus Cowan, Warner and Hughes . . Is a no context and two of the first lot are tail enders

These Indians are better than these Aussies against spin but then they are facing a much inferior spin attack. These three Indian spinners against this Indian side on this track would have bundled them out fr even less than 272. That does not make the wicket unplayable . It just shows that this Indan side, barring few, is not all that good against good spin bowling. But then Swann, Monty and company have already shown us that.

So lets look at the poor quality of batting rather than scream blue murder at the groundsman every time the team totals drop to 200 levels.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Unfortunately the selectors are likely to be picking the Ashes batting line up exactly like they have this series. Uzi is gone so its basically these guys plus Clarke with maybe a bolter from the final like Silk.

I'm not a fan of Cowan either but the selectors have made it clear they see Hughes as a 3 and that they like gritty 20's from a guy picked to play time and be a foil for Warner. Based on what I've seen of Watson he should not be in the team if he's not opening or bowling. Give Smith his spot and make him bowl if Warner and Cowan are unbreakable as a partnership. Which its looking like they are in the selectors minds.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Wade is a former state Aussie rules footballer, and was almost drafted into the AFL.

He'd beat the living piss out of Kohli.