• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You make good points, as always. But the issue is the regularity imo. Every other week it seems Watson wants to be doing something else in the team. I understand the media beat **** up, but he does keep providing quotes.

If Watson just expressed his preference once- "I'd like to open, but I'll play where the team needs me most", I'd like that.

I agree, Cowan controls his destiny. If he makes consistent runs, he'll probably open for Australia for years, if not, Watson will probably go back there. But really, the only people Watson needs to express this to now are the coaches, selectors and Clarke. Just stop talking to the media about what you want to do in the team.
I think we all need to just face facts and admit the only way Watson can make a statement that makes everyone happy, including the team, is if he says he's finally realised he's a wicketkeeper-batsman. That way we can get rid of Matthew Wade.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely, you've also forgotten McDermott.

QLD do hold all the current domestic titles btw.

Very balanced and well written article in today's Courier Mail about how Hartley should be the Australian wicketkeeper ahead of Wade and Paine. A very good read if you get a chance.
Are you teaching in Nimbin these days?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I reckon we might have a couple of better batsmen than Cowan at home ftr, especially when you consider that I think Watson might score more opening than he will at 4 as a difference in favour of any middle order batsman we pick.. but I still think Cowan's more likely to get runs than Khawaja or Smith at the moment.
The trouble with Cowan is that he's probably hit his performance ceiling, and a 40 average looks out of sight for him with every passing Test. When your signature stroke's the nurdle, you need a good long talk with an informed player manager.

Again, no alternatives except a non-bowling Twatto and the English equivalent to "c Guptill, b Martin".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I said when we named the squad, I still can't believe we took 17 players and only one wicket keeper, especially when it was someone struggling as much with the gloves as Wade was.

It was absurd to think we needed so many potential selection combinations for each game and prioritised Plan E or whatever over the possibility that maybe our keeper will get injured.

uvelocity

International Coach
As I said when we named the squad, I still can't believe we took 17 players and only one wicket keeper, especially when it was someone struggling as much with the gloves as Wade was.

It was absurd to think we needed so many potential selection combinations for each game and prioritised Plan E or whatever over the possibility that maybe our keeper will get injured.
pretty sure just about everyone here had haddin in their squads. s'pose you could bat just as well under a helmet with a fractured cheek though. keeping might be a pita

Mr_Ronan

Banned
meanwhile fairfax dude is saying they will be a change, and in the end says it'll be doherty for siddle, but he's hardly putting the house down on that

Australia set to spring selection surprise
Picking a 5-man attack with an average of just 8 Tests experience apiece is pretty dicey stuff.

I know Siddle looked short of a gallop at Chennai but I would have thought his experience and leadership would be crucial.

No idea what Watto was on about claiming the wicket would resemble the Gabba, regardless of its condition in IPL games :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Picking a 5-man attack with an average of just 8 Tests experience apiece is pretty dicey stuff.

I know Siddle looked short of a gallop at Chennai but I would have thought his experience and leadership would be crucial.

No idea what Watto was on about claiming the wicket would resemble the Gabba, regardless of its condition in IPL games :laugh:
Watson's just trying his best to make sure Doherty doesn't get picked.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fairfax dude corrects himself

Chris Barrett ‏@ChrisBarrett_
@cleary_mitch that should be siddle in that possible team, having changed

Mr_Ronan

Banned
When I read Watto's Hyderabad/Gabba comparison I thought it must be a piss poor attempt at smokes and mirrors, convincing India that Oz would again field a pace-heavy attack.

But then Clarke basically mocked Watto's comments so obviously it's not some ****e team tactic.

RE: Cowan...I kinda feel like part of he reason he has kept his spot may be that he doesn't often get dismissed early so the selectors are hopeful he will click and start converting all those 20s and 30s.

I'm definitely a fan of the guy, but the more I think about it the more I realise I just like the bloke rather than rate him.

Hopefully Khawaja gets to replace Watto when he goes home for the final 2 Tests and then that'll create a shoot out between Uzzie and Cowan.

Watto flying home could potentially be a godsend in terms of ironing out this selection issue.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Please....XXXX is nothing to be proud of. I only drink that when it's free.

At least it's not as bad as Redback Bitter which isn't even advertised at the Adelaide Oval - XXXX is!
Went to a party once when I was younger. Told not to worry about bringing beer. The **** host had bought boxes of XXXX. ftr, I couldn't even drink it when it was free.

It's filth.