• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What do you want Watson to say when asked a question about himself?
Basically, cliches like "I'm happy to play whatever role the team/captain need me to", instead of engaging the media in the way the media want.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I reckon we need to criticise sportsmen more for not just spewing out cliches...

Come on man. Is anyone else sick of people just complaining about players when it happens to co-incide with them going through a poor patch? 12-18 months ago there was nothing but good things said about Watson, but now that he's gone through some more injuries and not contributing as much to the team he's public enemy #1. Same thing with Clarke, just watch when(if!) he goes through an extended lean patch everyone will be jumping on his back.

Red

Yeah I reckon we need to criticise sportsmen more for not just spewing out cliches...

Come on man. Is anyone else sick of people just complaining about players when it happens to co-incide with them going through a poor patch? 12-18 months ago there was nothing but good things said about Watson, but now that he's gone through some more injuries and not contributing as much to the team he's public enemy #1. Same thing with Clarke, just watch when(if!) he goes through an extended lean patch everyone will be jumping on his back.
Cliches have a role to play when the alternative is placing pressure on your team-mates. Watson seems to have wanted every position in the batting order at one point in the last couple of years. In spite of whether you think he should open or not (which I do), how does his desire to open the batting (for example) being expressed in the media mess with Cowan (for example)? My negativity about Watson has nothing to do with his form. Reckon he'd have been one of the greatest ARs ever if his body held up (and I feel for him in this regard). But his demeanour on field, and the things he says off field, really **** me.

uvelocity

International Coach

I'd love to make a joke right now, but yes. Don't know that its universal though. H00sey was never derided, sure they said he was past it - but it was always about his playing. Always been seen as a good guy. Clarke turning monster has coincided with him doing a very solid job of being Australian captain. Who knows what will happen if his form dips. But yeah you're right that if someone is doing well there's no criticism.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Watson saying he likes opening the batting causes Cowan to play poorly than I'm afraid Cowan isn't a cricketer to start off with. Every single cricketer in the country would come out, if asked, and say they want a position in the national side, it's not like that brings undue pressure on the incumbents. I concede it's a slightly different situation when the person saying it is an incumbent themself, but really it would have no baring, and if anything should be used as a source of motivation.

Every player within a professional sports environment should have pressure on them to perform, it's just the nature of it. Don't blame Watson for Cowan's failures.

And anyway, Watson has always said he wants to open, he said he was happy to bat down the order to accommodate Cowan or whatever, but he always said he likes opening the most. Yet we make him out like the devil?

Last edited:

Red

If Watson saying he likes opening the batting causes Cowan to play poorly than I'm afraid Cowan isn't a cricketer to start off with. Every single cricketer in the country would come out, if asked, and say they want a position in the national side, it's not like that brings undue pressure on the incumbents. I concede it's a slightly different situation when the person saying it is an incumbent themself, but really it would have no baring, and if anything should be used as a source of motivation.

Every players within a professional sports environment should have pressure on them to perform, it's just the nature of it. Don't blame Watson for Cowan's failures.

And anyway, Watson has always said he wants to open, he said he was happy to bat down the order to accommodate Cowan or whatever, but he always said he likes opening the most. Yet we make him out like the devil?
You make good points, as always. But the issue is the regularity imo. Every other week it seems Watson wants to be doing something else in the team. I understand the media beat **** up, but he does keep providing quotes.

If Watson just expressed his preference once- "I'd like to open, but I'll play where the team needs me most", I'd like that.

I agree, Cowan controls his destiny. If he makes consistent runs, he'll probably open for Australia for years, if not, Watson will probably go back there. But really, the only people Watson needs to express this to now are the coaches, selectors and Clarke. Just stop talking to the media about what you want to do in the team.

Red

I've hardly seen Henriques bat. Anyone got any insight? What's he play like?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dear Australian Public,

We have no idea how to select a team to beat competitive opposition.

Yours Sincerely,

The Austrailian National Selection Panel.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely should have picked Cutting, Hartley, Khawaja and Hauritz obviously.
Absolutely, you've also forgotten McDermott.

QLD do hold all the current domestic titles btw.

Very balanced and well written article in today's Courier Mail about how Hartley should be the Australian wicketkeeper ahead of Wade and Paine. A very good read if you get a chance.