• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know, you can hit a long half volley/low full toss for six like that.
If McClaren had managed that then you just say well done.

Length is a lot more prone to resulting in a 4 or 6. It's also more likely to get a dot, but that's not a big deal when they need 2 to tie anyway. Some variation on length is an option if SA need 1/2 to win

A yorker is mostly going to result in a single.

BeeGee

International Captain
Again our middle order scores too slowly. ****. We've been going through this since the 90s. Those who always blamed Kallis: **** off. It's clear that he is not the problem. Something is wrong with how we score in the middle overs and middle order. Glad we won, but the bowlers shouldn't be winning this for us.

Fix the ****ing middle order. It's ****ing obvious.
Good to see a SA fan chipping in with a decent rant. The NZ rant dominance of this thread has been overpowering.

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well sort off better from SA. But still a low 4 out of 10 for this series. For NZ I will only score them higher because they won the series. I will give them a 6.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Again our middle order scores too slowly. ****. We've been going through this since the 90s. Those who always blamed Kallis: **** off. It's clear that he is not the problem. Something is wrong with how we score in the middle overs and middle order. Glad we won, but the bowlers shouldn't be winning this for us.

Fix the ****ing middle order. It's ****ing obvious.
I watched the highlights and some of those shot were diabolical. I'd rather they bat smart

Morris has to come in now. Kleinveldt is poor.

Briony

International Debutant
Interesting series in that it could have ended 3-0 NZ or 3-0 SA if a few things had been different.

Still can't see why SA with their middle-order problems play someone like Behardien.

SA could have had an easier chase each time if de Kock wouldn't go for wild swings. Was starved of strike for a while and decided he had to go for the crazy shot. Ingram should go too.

How many more chances does Guptill get?

Anyway at least NZ will get a few back for the England series.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Elliott and Munro impressed me. Elliott is classy and like Kaneh brings some calm to our middle order, which would be great when Taylor and Ryder return.

Munro looked village at first, but after he got an ugly reverse sweep away he showed his power, if not his finesse. Could be an option at no.6 moving forward. Did he bowl at all this series? If not, why not? Looked adequate in the test match.

Franklin played a wonderful knock. Went to bed at 3am when South Africa were 80/0. Not surprised to wake up and find South Africa almost botched it. Bit pissed we didn't win 3-0, but we could have easily lost 0-3 like Briony said.

The main concern now is that we don't have any proven death bowlers if Southee is out.

uvelocity

International Coach
just saw on replay. good game, top shot from mclaren at the end there, some crazy batting from sa esp smith's dumb shot

MrPrez

International Debutant
Shocking. Lucky to win, but still shocking.

Ingram-hate is getting old. He has been in our top 3 scorers for the past 2 matches - there are much bigger candidates imo. (He might not have been in the top 3 this match actually - think McClaren overtook him into 3rd but meh).

Truth is, our reserve batsmen need a strong, experienced head to play around so as to take the pressure off. Ie they're weak upstairs.

Anyways, onwards to the pakistanis. Hopefully we'll have a nearer-full-strength team for that series.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Elliott and Munro impressed me. Elliott is classy and like Kaneh brings some calm to our middle order, which would be great when Taylor and Ryder return.
Elliott is a weird cricketer. He looked good in ODIs in 2008/09, calm and had a method that worked for nudging the ball around and keeping up the scoring rate. Then lost it completely and has barely deserved to be picked in the Wellington side at times in last few years. I thought for this tour he's somehow blackmailed NZ selectors into paying for his flights over to SA to visit the family, but instead he's looked competent and has batted well.

Munro looked village at first, but after he got an ugly reverse sweep away he showed his power, if not his finesse. Could be an option at no.6 moving forward. Did he bowl at all this series? If not, why not? Looked adequate in the test match.
Munro clearly has a very good eye. Needs some serious serious work on that foot movement though. Moves like a Rhinoceros doing ballet - when he does wants to move, the upper torso leads and the feet follow reluctantly somewhere behind. Especially obvious against the spinners (though I don't think he even knows what he's supposed to do with the feet against spin). Most of the time though just completely avoids moving the feet at all - who needs back foot and front foot games? Needs a sports-training-montage with lots of skipping and boxing to get him on his toes and he'd be a different batsman.

Franklin played a wonderful knock.
Franklin finally looks at home as a batsman in ODIs and T20s. ARGHH FRANKLIN WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SUCH A ****HOUSE BATSMAN IN TESTZZZZ

vandem

International 12th Man
Elliott is a weird cricketer. He looked good in ODIs in 2008/09, calm and had a method that worked for nudging the ball around and keeping up the scoring rate. ...
His approach in ODIs reminds me of Twose and Styris, without some of their power. Knows that he hasn't got all the shots, but has worked out where to place the ball for 1s and 2s, and can hit out for the odd boundary. Makes for a more effective player than some batsmen who have more timing or more shots, but find the fielders too often (Sinclair IMHO).

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Elliott is a weird cricketer. He looked good in ODIs in 2008/09, calm and had a method that worked for nudging the ball around and keeping up the scoring rate. Then lost it completely and has barely deserved to be picked in the Wellington side at times in last few years. I thought for this tour he's somehow blackmailed NZ selectors into paying for his flights over to SA to visit the family, but instead he's looked competent and has batted well.
Nothing weird about it at all. He's a relatively average player who hit an excellent purple patch but inevitably faded.

Briony

International Debutant
just saw on replay. good game, top shot from mclaren at the end there, some crazy batting from sa esp smith's dumb shot
The funny thing about the Smith shot was that before the ball was bowled the commentators were saying that all he had to do was knock the ball around a bit and be there (with McLaren) and they would have got there without any anxiety. Next ball he lofts straight to the fielder in the deep and he walked all the way with head bowed and didn't raise the bat etc.

Lots of missed opportunities for both sides though. de Kock for instance will go for a wild swing if he is starved of the strike or not scoring off every ball and yet he looked in no trouble at all. B. McCullum always seems to hole out. Panic set in among the youngsters. Experienced guys like Franklin kept their head among the mayhem.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
His approach in ODIs reminds me of Twose and Styris, without some of their power. Knows that he hasn't got all the shots, but has worked out where to place the ball for 1s and 2s, and can hit out for the odd boundary. Makes for a more effective player than some batsmen who have more timing or more shots, but find the fielders too often (Sinclair IMHO).
Yes, perhaps Hamish Marshall too

Nothing weird about it at all. He's a relatively average player who hit an excellent purple patch but inevitably faded.
I never would have expected him to return at nearly 34 and bat well at international level again. Not after the lack of runs for Wellingtron.

Last edited: