• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flem274*

123/5
this pitch is a total road as well. Napier esque. Both these sides will get roughed up on the more helpful pitches they are going to next.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's looking increasingly likely that we'll win this test, but on the off chance that we don't, I think we can take far more out of this tour than Sri Lanka will.
Ticks:

• We've finally scored 400 in an innings
    We've scored 2 centuries
    We've proven we have a top quality pace bowling trio, with Bracewell finally coming to the party tonight.
    Our fielding has improved since India
    Patel is not cannon fodder against excellent players of spin

Crosses:

• Guptill has technical issues and needs to be temporarily replaced while he sorts it out
    The allrounder slot remains unfilled
    Still issues around the slip cordon. I blame van Wyk, but whoever's fault it is, it needs to be sorted.
    We're not quite sure on the optimal composition of the side

Sri Lanka's ticks:

• Herath is an excellent bowler, particularly against poor players of swing
    Kulasekara is a clever and consistent bowler.
    Mathews has the technique to succeed against good pace bowlers

Sri Lanka's crosses:

• Their top order cannot handle good swing bowling.
    Randiv is not an incisive spin partner
    Eranga is inconsistent

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Great day of play. Sad to see it end.

Mostly because I've got a couple beers left still, even though it's 4:52 a.m. in my part of the world.

God I'm such a cricket addict.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I wonder if this Test will make people notice the fact that New Zealand actually have a bloody promising fast bowling attack these days. More than promising actually, I reckon it's just straight up good. Win or lose I reckon this match is going a long way to backing that up.
I think Southee purple patch has suddenly lifted them from say a 6-7 to 3-4 if we have these pace bowling attack rankings. Before Southee started gunning which is just 2 games ago they had one pensioner in Martin plus 2 promising lads in Dougeh and Boult nothing else.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love the heavily understated Cricinfo headline "Seamers give New Zealand edge"

So New Zealand must surely randomly bring Martin back into the team for their next series...

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Phil: "Maybe tomorrow they'll try and see whether Southee passes through the hoop and have him replaced, if he doesn't."

^ one of the funniest comments I've ever read on cricinfo.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Gillespie off the radar again?

I'd have thought he'd be next in line (particularly as he took 5-fers in his last Tests against South Africa)

Last edited: