• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Inzamam rank among Asia's batting greats?

Where does Inzamam stand among Asian batting greats

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
A tier system of rating players always makes more sense to me than individual ratings. Needless to say, discrepancies that come along with comparing across eras would always be there.

Tier 1: Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid and Miandad

Tier 2: Hanif Mohd., Sathasivam, Vijay Merchant, Inzamam, Vishwanath, Mohd. Yousuf and Sangakkara

Tier 3: De Silva, Jimmy Amarnath, Saeed Anwar, Vijay Hazare, Mahela et al.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Inzy was an excellent batsmen overall but apparently has an ordinary record against quality bowlers on pitches with bounce and seam. Thus diminishing his credentials;

Ave in Australia = 30.9
Ave in England = 42.5
Ave in South Africa = 31.8

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

It would be interesting to make a comparison with other Asian batsmen with respect to succeeding away from home and away from their comfort zone of flat dull pitches. The current India V Australia series is a case in point.

For starters, Inzy pails in comparison to truly great batsman like Sachin who can succeed anywhere (but that's hardly surprising);

Ave in Australia = 55.3
Ave in England = 54.3
Ave in South Africa = 46.4
His record most certainly pales in comparison to Tendulkar..and we are not comparing him with Tendulkar..but according to what standards is averaging 42 in England considered an ordinary record? Lets look at three great batsmen of Inzamam's time who are considered better than him..
Ponting avg 41 in England
Lara ave 48 in England
Kallis avg 29 in England

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Inzi in my estimation is only behind the top tier of Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Dravid and Miandad and is in the same ball park as Kumar Sangakkara. Great player.

Shri

Mr. Glass
A tier system of rating players always makes more sense to me than individual ratings. Needless to say, discrepancies that come along with comparing across eras would always be there.

Tier 1: Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid and Miandad

Tier 2: Hanif Mohd., Sathasivam, Vijay Merchant, Inzamam, Vishwanath, Mohd. Yousuf and Sangakkara

Tier 3: De Silva, Jimmy Amarnath, Saeed Anwar, Vijay Hazare, Mahela et al.
Sathasivam? Who is he?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Seven.

1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Miandad
4. Dravid
5. Sangakkara
6. Jayawardene
7. Inzamam
The program I made a few months back to rank cricketers has them ranked similarly; Inzy and Hanif are ahead of Jayawardene though.

1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Miandad
4. Dravid
5. Sangakkara
6. Inzamam
7. Hanif
8. Jayawardene
9. Azharuddin
10. Yousuf
11. Laxman
12. de Silva
13. Merchant
14. Vengsarkar
15. Hazare
16. Zaheer
17. Viswanath
18. Umrigar
19. Younis
20. Sehwag

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The program I made a few months back to rank cricketers has them ranked similarly; Inzy and Hanif are ahead of Jayawardene though.

1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Miandad
4. Dravid
5. Sangakkara
6. Inzamam
7. Hanif
8. Jayawardene
9. Azharuddin
10. Yousuf
11. Laxman
12. de Silva
13. Merchant
14. Vengsarkar
15. Hazare
16. Zaheer
17. Viswanath
18. Umrigar
19. Younis
20. Sehwag
The program would pick this as a combined subcontinent all-time XI:

1. Gavaskar
2. Hanif
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Miandad
6. Sangakkara +
7. Imran
8. Kapil
9. Wasim
10. Kumble
11. Muralitharan

Looks fair enough to me.

Satguru

Banned
Tier 1:
1) Tendulkar... easily has the most complete record, hardly any holes to pick out
2) Gavaskar
3) Miandad

Tier 2:
4) Dravid
5) Sangakkara
6) Inzamam
7) Laxman
8) Aravinda

Tier 3:
9) Azharuddin
10) Hanif
11) Samaraweera (Rising fast)
12) Sehwag (Sinking fast)

sachin200

U19 12th Man
1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Dravid
4. Sangakkara
5. Miandad
6. Inzamam
7. Laxman
8. Hanif
9. Jayawardene
10. Yousuf
11. Azharuddin
12. de Silva
13. Merchant
14. Vengsarkar
15. Hazare
16. Zaheer
17. Viswanath
18. Umrigar
19. Younis
20. Sehwag

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Miandad, Dravid, Sangakkara, Sehwag, Inzamam - probably in that order so far.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Miandad
4. Dravid
5. Sangakkara
6. Inzamam
7. Hanif
8. Jayawardene
9. Azharuddin
10. Yousuf
11. Laxman
12. de Silva
13. Merchant
14. Vengsarkar
15. Hazare
16. Zaheer
17. Viswanath
18. Umrigar
19. Younis
20. Sehwag
You need to sort your longevity formula like I suggested :cool:

Polly Umrigar was certainly not a better batsman than Sehwag IMO.

Satguru

Banned
Reckon people underrating Sehwag a bit here becuase of the horror run he's going through. He's bad in swinging and seaming conditions but seriously theres no way i would put Sehwag below Jayawerdene. He's as good, if not better than Jaya in the SC, possibly the best SC bat ever. Played some crucial innings under pressure on tough SC pitches too, with the 2008 Galle one being the obvious standout. :cool:
jaya hasnt even done that well in Pakistan, where Sehwag averages 90+, and apart from this tour, Sehwag's done very well in Australia, where jayawerdene is crap, just like everywhere else outside the SC.

Sehwag> Jayawerdene easily imo

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather watch Inzi bat than any of the others who have been mentioned, but in absolute terms I suppose there are several who are better players

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Inzi is over rated, but then I see guys like sanga are being over rated too, inzi was definitely a better batsman, although sanga definitely the better player overall!

To me dravid and tendulkar are the top layer, below them you have gavaskar and miandad, then I am not too fussed other than inzi>sanga.