• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bit too much Broad-love from you these days, Spark. Save it for those of us who were actually in there defending him, eh? :p
Some of us have been doing it on this forum since 2008

Wtf are you on about? GIMH doesn't even post much anymore.:p
He called it, so has no need to gloat
Never accused GIMH of it ftr, he's one of the few people who has the right to do it if anything imo :p
:whistling

Jacknife

International Captain
But how much of Ponting/Clarke learning to bat again is down to them feasting on Ishant and Yadav as opposed to Jimmeh and Tremlett?
I think it's Uppercut who made the point a number of times but it's not just coincidence how many batsmen "lose form" and start getting out for **** all when presented with a really good, disciplined bowling attack.
This.

Spark

Global Moderator
But how much of Ponting/Clarke learning to bat again is down to them feasting on Ishant and Yadav as opposed to Jimmeh and Tremlett?
I think it's Uppercut who made the point a number of times but it's not just coincidence how many batsmen "lose form" and start getting out for **** all when presented with a really good, disciplined bowling attack.
Ponting I could buy, but Clarke would have struggled against Bangladesh, the way he batted in some of those Tests. Worth noting that he made bucketloads against close to the same attack - granted, not bowling as well as in 10/11 but it's not a world apart. Looked absolutely atrocious at times, especially at the Gabba with the back injury.

Bit too much Broad-love from you these days, Spark. Save it for those of us who were actually in there defending him, eh? :p
I'm pretty sure I was one of them :p

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The one time I've seen England play on anything remotely resembling a "dustbowl" in the last five years was at the World Cup, when they played South Africa in Chennai. And won. When was the last time India played a home Test on one? Three, four years ago?

~~
South Africa? :p Depends what you mean by Dustbowl, but India have played on pitches where Spinners have played the main role decent times,(Which don't give that much help to the seamers, but aren't a dustbowl at the same time).

And if we are talking about ODI's then the English Batsman didn't look too great every time the bowl turned with some nip in both the series in England as well as in India. But hard to judge based on ODI's.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, the way people keep banging on about such an irrelevant point you'd think India played all of their home Tests on crumbling dustbowls with an attack of Kumble, Murali and Saqlain rather than the reality - that India's spinners would be flattered by being referred to as average and most Indian pitches tend to be utter roads.
There are lot of room between a Crumbling dustbowl and utter roads(which "most" of the wickets aren't ftr, unless you think ever ywicket offering less assistance to seamers and more to spinners = Road). Also Indian spinners are certainly better at home.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Honestly, the way people keep banging on about such an irrelevant point you'd think India played all of their home Tests on crumbling dustbowls with an attack of Kumble, Murali and Saqlain rather than the reality - that India's spinners would be flattered by being referred to as average and most Indian pitches tend to be utter roads.
Dustbowls are rarely seen these days in the SC but pitches that take slight turn with invariable bounce are seen once in a while. Those pitches are almost as hard to bat on as a dustbowl with lots of LBWs and bat pad catches possible. Seen so many batsmen beaten by bounce in the SC like at the Feroz Shah Kotla.

So yeah I wasn't talking about dustbowls when I was talking about pitches in the SC. It was about pitches that have slight help for the spinners in it with invariable bounce.

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England might be able to beat Indian any day of the week in test crickets but Gautam Gambhir was signed to Kolkata Knight Riders for $2 million :ph34r: .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't exactly brilliant either. Took a 5-for in the first Test he played in the series, did pretty much **** all else.

edit: Spinners in England 2010-2011

Code:
Name            Team T    W    Ave      SR  Econ  5w

S Ajmal         Pak  3   12   29.41   62.5  2.82   1
S Al Hasan      Ban  2    8   34.75   60.3  3.45   1
HMRKB Herath    SL   3    6   49.83   95.8  3.12   0
A Mishra        Ind  2    3  106.66  162.0  3.95   0
Mahmadullah     Ban  2    2   80.50  150.5  3.20   0
Harbhajan Singh Ind  2    2  143.50  209.0  4.11   0
BAW Mendis      SL   1    1   66.00  126.0  3.14   0
D Kaneria       Pak  1    1  171.00  198.0  5.18   0

GP Swann        Eng 13   53   24.35   47.4  3.07   4
Yeah, England struggle against spin, non subcontinental spinners get belted.
Why would you even post that? Completely irrelevant.

flibbertyjibber

Why would you even post that? Completely irrelevant.
Well I guess he is saying that if England will struggle against the SC spinners then Swann will feast as he has a far better record than any of them on pitches that do bugger all for him most of the time. The talk of spin defeating England is a bit much as we have the best spinner in the world so what will he do in return.

Considering SC players are so great against spin it is surprising to see Swann has such a good record against SC batsmen in England.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I don't think Swann will find as much success in sub cont/ME as he finds in England. Swann is a bowler who relies a lot on drift and he will not get the same amount of drift in SC/ME as he gets in UK. Also he has to contend with Misbah and Younis this time the two are possibly the best batsman of spin from Pakistan in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Daemon

Well I guess he is saying that if England will struggle against the SC spinners then Swann will feast as he has a far better record than any of them on pitches that do bugger all for him most of the time. The talk of spin defeating England is a bit much as we have the best spinner in the world so what will he do in return.

Considering SC players are so great against spin it is surprising to see Swann has such a good record against SC batsmen in England.
But the topic was about whether or not Ajmal got 'owned' in England..

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think Swann will find as much success in sub cont/ME as he finds in England. Swann is a bowler who relies a lot on drift and he will not get the same amount of drift in SC/ME as he gets in UK. Also he has to contend with Misbah and Younis this time the two are possibly the best batsman of spin from Pakistan in the last 20 years.
:blink::blink::blink:

Salim Malik? MoYo? Anwar?

Daemon

They've owned Ajmal, - admittedly all in England.
:blink:

seems a bit OTT to me
Averaged 29 against them
which isn't exactly being owned
which was my point..
Wasn't exactly brilliant either. Took a 5-for in the first Test he played in the series, did pretty much **** all else.

edit: Spinners in England 2010-2011

Code:
Name            Team T    W    Ave      SR  Econ  5w

S Ajmal         Pak  3   12   29.41   62.5  2.82   1
S Al Hasan      Ban  2    8   34.75   60.3  3.45   1
HMRKB Herath    SL   3    6   49.83   95.8  3.12   0
A Mishra        Ind  2    3  106.66  162.0  3.95   0
Mahmadullah     Ban  2    2   80.50  150.5  3.20   0
Harbhajan Singh Ind  2    2  143.50  209.0  4.11   0
BAW Mendis      SL   1    1   66.00  126.0  3.14   0
D Kaneria       Pak  1    1  171.00  198.0  5.18   0

GP Swann        Eng 13   53   24.35   47.4  3.07   4
Yeah, England struggle against spin, non subcontinental spinners get belted.
So yes, it was about Ajmal.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Your first quote is a bit selective is it not? Also missing a quote from Shri.

Last edited: