• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar better than Don Bradman, new study shows

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Aside from the first of the MCG tests, i think most every match went down to the wire.

The tie, Mackay and Kline, and the last test Australia won eight down. IIRC the Windies won in Sydney.
You wouldn't see many batsmen these days just let themselves get hit in the ribs by the opposition's star quick. Mackay WAG.

FoxSports puts on so many of these things. So good.
Centenary Test, Bradman, 60/61 and now Walters.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great player of spin, was Walters. An innate talent. Never worked too hard on his game, and missed two years doing National Service too.

Bit of a forgotten genius tbh. Averaged 48 iirc but never did well in England.

Wish he was at Headingly in 81. Fifteen minutes of him on the last day would have been handy.

Last edited:

cool4u

Cricket Spectator
Hey Neither Bradman Nor Sachin...."I am the best cricketer ....at least in my backyard"...Thank u all

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great player of spin, was Walters. An innate talent. Never worked too hard on his game, and missed two years doing National Service too.

Bit of a forgotten genius tbh. Averaged 48 iirc but never did well in England.

Wish he was at Headingly in 81. Fifteen minutes of him on the last day would have been handy.
Given Dougie's record in England,15 mins may have been a little optimistic.

Burgey

Haha. There's the moment where he hit Willis for six in Perth for the ton in a session. Did it in the Windies once too.

WAFG.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
True that.

Didn't realise he made a hundred in a session against Sobers World XI in Melbourne.
Yeah, that famous ton-in-a-session he got when he hooked Willis for six off the last ball was actually the third time he'd achieved that feat. Amazing player.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I guess, to an extent, his off-field reputation degraded the perception of his obvious talents.

Incredible batsman to be able to achieve the feats he did.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Who are you talking about?
The Walters thing. The stories of him being out drinking til the early hours outweigh the stories of his batting. Never knew he made a test 250 until I looked it up on cricinfo 10 minutes ago.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The Walters thing. The stories of him being out drinking til the early hours outweigh the stories of his batting. Never knew he made a test 250 until I looked it up on cricinfo 10 minutes ago.
Oh right, yeah maybe. Though I think such things just made him more of hero to the Aussie public regardless.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This has come up before i think WW has said as much. Seeing is believing. As his memory fades I fear so will his reputation.
Well I don't think there have been many people who saw Bradman play for a while now. I think his legacy will remain.

I mean, people still talk about Hobbs as one of the greatest openers of all time.
Why then do we see these articles from time to time. And former players coming out and supporting these views from time to time. Never a word was said against the fellow when I was growing up (39 now). Only a few people had seen him play 30 years ago either but there were still enough around to have some level of influence.

Perhaps Bradman will always be #1 for the true student of the game. But I think his place of awe for the casual fan may fade (another twenty years from now and certainly 50 years from now). I hope that I am wrong and I hope you are right.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Why then do we see these articles from time to time. And former players coming out and supporting these views from time to time. Never a word was said against the fellow when I was 8 years old (39 now).
You're 39?! :-O

Last edited:

Burgey

Why then do we see these articles from time to time. And former players coming out and supporting these views from time to time. Never a word was said against the fellow when I was growing up (39 now). Only a few people had seen him play 30 years ago either but there were still enough around to have some level of influence.

Perhaps Bradman will always be #1 for the true student of the game. But I think his place of awe for the casual fan may fade (another twenty years from now and certainly 50 years from now). I hope that I am wrong and I hope you are right.
They want a contemporary to be rated the greatest maybe? Who knows?

I'd prefe they settled the argument about who's definitively the best of the generation before they annoint Tendulkar the best of all time.