• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Shout out to Robelinda.

Do you have in your tapes the classic "Go India" travel ads featuring Kapil and Vengsarkar from that 85-86 series, where the dubbing of their voices was the worst editing ever? They were gold. If you've got them, post pleaseeeeeeeeeee.
Oh dear god they were funny, yes i have them somewhere, will have to dig them up when i get time. So bad.

ajdude

International Coach

well look i was intent on watching it on sbs 3 but i guess i could give nine a try

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel as though Hilf is a better option than Starc at this stage for these reasons:

1) Hilf is said to be bowling better and I think that McDermott as coach could really help him lift his game.
2) He has all the basic tools he needs to be successful as a fast swing bowler.
3) At this stage in his career he's a better bowler than Starc.
4) He will be more economical than Starc.
5) It lets us open with Hilf and Pattinson and push Siddle back to first drop. This means we won't be wasting the new ball on Siddle.

I'm still not entirely convinced that Hilfenhaus will eventually become a great bowler, but I do think that he's probably one of the top couple of uninjured bowlers out there and is a good choice against the Indians where we will likely need to bowl a lot of overs.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Anyone got any links for highlights of the last series in Australia? Most videos in youtube are of real poor quality.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hilfenhaus should play ahead of Starc. It is clear that Hilfenhaus will never be much more than a useful backup bowler at international level (28 years old and only two very good domestic seasons in his career), however he should fill the current vacancy left by the injured bowlers.

Starc is not international class, and I don't believe he will ever be. Not worth trying against India.

ganeshran

International Debutant
It would be a mistake to play Kohli over RG Sharma : Ian Chappell

NEW DELHI: Former Australian skipper Ian Chappell has said that India's Rohit Sharma should be preferred over Virat Kohli in the forthcoming Test series between the two sides, starting in Melbourne on December 26.

Kohli has more or less sealed the number six slot with a century in the last warm-up game in Canberra, but Chappell said it would be a mistake to play the Delhi batsman at the expense of Sharma.

"I think Rohit Sharma should be preferred. I have seen him taking on the Australians, playing the horizontal shots.

"But I think Kohli will be played, and that will be a mistake," Chappell said.

Chappell reiterated that it is India's best chance to conquer Australia at their backyard, something the visitors had never done before.

"It is India's best chance to beat Australia in Australia. The Aussies have been inconsistent and there have been unbelievable number of injuries," Chappell said during a panel discussion on 'Times Now'.

The former player, now a commentator and an expert, also reiterated that Zaheer Khan and Virender Sehwag's form will be crucial to India's success.

"A lot depends on Zaheer Khan. There is also this guy (Umesh) Yadav. He is a good bowler and has got some attributes. They (youngsters) can take the challenge and are not weighed down by responsibility," Chappell said.

"R Ashwin has also got the ability, he is a smart cricketer. But it will be a better attack if Zaheer is in form," he added.

As regards the importance of Sehwag, Chappell said, "If he fires, he makes a huge difference. If he makes a big score, he gives the bowlers enough time."

About Sachin Tendulkar's impeding 100th international ton, he said, "In 2007 (in England) he got out in 90s a few times. If the 100th hundredth dominates the mind, then its not good."

While Chappell labelled India as the favourites, India's 1983 World Cup-winning skipper Kapil Dev was not ready to jump the gun.

"All depends. There is no need to talk too much. Both the teams had a rough and good times in the recent past. India have the ability, the talent and it will depend on who will use the given time better," Kapil said.

Former captain Bishen Singh Bedi seconded Kapil, saying a team needs good bowlers to 20 wickets in a Test match.

"I don't like to think like that. We have got a good batting line-up, we can score 600 runs, but to bowl the opposition twice you need good bowlers.

"Much as I would like to talk about our youth, they are yet to prove themselves," Bedi said.

As far as injuries are concerned, especially over the fitness status of Zaheer and Ishant Sharma, Kapil said a team can't depend on one player.

"There are no shortage of players. Anybody can get injured; if somebody's injured the selectors have to take a call," Kapil said.

Bedi said there is no point carrying an injured player. "There is no pint. These days they talk about the niggles. You have to give 100 per cent no matter what the situation or the condition is."

cool4u

Cricket Spectator
G. Gambhir
V. Sehwag
R. Dravid
S. Tendulkar
V. Laxman
R. Sharma
M. Dhoni+*
R. Ashwin
Z. Khan
I. Sharma
U. Yadav

India this time 4-0.........!!
And i must tell yea....Ponting shud be out of the green cap team, he is simply wasting a place of No.3 or 4 batsman.

Ruckus

International Captain
i would literally take some random guy off the street over hilf. i'm still reeling from his ashes performance.

not helping his case by using the age old "this isn't an excuse but i was injured y'know" line tbf
Cmon though, I would have picked 3 or so bowlers over Hilf, but surely you think he is a better alternative than Starc?

Australia XI for Boxing Day test: Clarke (c), Warner, Cowan, Marsh, Ponting, Hussey, Haddin, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson, Lyon
The best possible combination from the squad imo. Overall, still looks a weak batting line up though, with a pretty poor tail as well. Ponting, Hussey and Haddin HAVE to justify the selectors patience with them for us to have a chance imo. Over a 4 match series, I don't know if you should expect too much consistency coming from that inexperienced top 3, so the others are gonna have to somehow be there to provide stability should the top order fail. Expect Clarke to be in top form again, but he can't do it by himself.