• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Third Place Playoff : Wales vs Australia

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
You would think Wales would've been on the receiving end of a belting if Cooper didn't get injured. He actually looked threatening for once in this tournament.
Would've been different had Beale not blown his hamstring in the first 10 minutes too. I was a bit confused about the Welsh tactics - they finally worked out in the 80th minute that keeping ball in hand and attacking patiently eventually creates an overlap to score - as up until then I was hardly impressed at their efforts. I'd heard calls for Roberts to be named player of the tournament though he had his worst performance of the tournament which I imagine would put a stop to any more calls for him to receive that award.

Mike5181

International Captain
Would've been different had Beale not blown his hamstring in the first 10 minutes too. I was a bit confused about the Welsh tactics - they finally worked out in the 80th minute that keeping ball in hand and attacking patiently eventually creates an overlap to score - as up until then I was hardly impressed at their efforts. I'd heard calls for Roberts to be named player of the tournament though he had his worst performance of the tournament which I imagine would put a stop to any more calls for him to receive that award.
I was waiting for Australia to put Wales down to earth somewhat tbh. I know they are a well coached and reasonably talented side but they have been overhyped of late.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That try only got scored because Australia had already won. Wales tried to run it before that and couldn't get anywhere - in one case leading to a poor dropped goal attempt.

Overall Wales didn't look very penetrative. If you can stop Roberts then you stop Wales it seems.

Wales' try was due to an obvious forward pass. Wales were flattered by the score line.

Constant handling errors - of which Roberts was guilty as well.

And as Gatland pointed out slow ball back from the breakdown.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I highly doubt that'll be the last of Cooper at international level. Put aside the WC and for the majority of the year he performed better than Carter (admittedly DC struggled in Super Rugby with injury for a period). With due respect to Barnes, hes conventional but not outstanding when compared to Cooper, whos still only 23 after all. Perhaps Cooper is to Australian rugby what Sehwag is to Indian cricket - brilliant when hes on form but exposed when hes not. Also I'll point out that Cooper's comfortably the top "try assister" in the tournament.
Please remind me of a test match this year or any year where he has lived up to his Super 15 levels of pure dominance.

Also Barnes is consistent. Cooper is like a box of chocolates.

I have come to the conclusion that he needs to reign it in at this level and just do the simple things well. There was a great interview with Benji Marshall a couple of years ago - he said I have realised that I need to play percentages and not try to make a play happen every play. And he has gone great guns ever since. I realise this is a leaague example but he is a similar talent and in a similar position.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I highly doubt that'll be the last of Cooper at international level. Put aside the WC and for the majority of the year he performed better than Carter (admittedly DC struggled in Super Rugby with injury for a period). With due respect to Barnes, hes conventional but not outstanding when compared to Cooper, whos still only 23 after all. Perhaps Cooper is to Australian rugby what Sehwag is to Indian cricket - brilliant when hes on form but exposed when hes not. Also I'll point out that Cooper's comfortably the top "try assister" in the tournament.
Would guess all were against the US, Russia & Italy tho. Went missing in all the big games.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Please remind me of a test match this year or any year where he has lived up to his Super 15 levels of pure dominance.

Also Barnes is consistent. Cooper is like a box of chocolates.

I have come to the conclusion that he needs to reign it in at this level and just do the simple things well. There was a great interview with Benji Marshall a couple of years ago - he said I have realised that I need to play percentages and not try to make a play happen every play. And he has gone great guns ever since. I realise this is a leaague example but he is a similar talent and in a similar position.
When Australia have played well this year (particularly vs NZ in Brisbane and their away match in SA), Genia and Cooper were commanding. For the Reds they were irresistable. Sure Barnes is consistent - I wouldn't mind him starting at 12 (my real issue is his impact off the bench) - but if Australia are going to ignite such a talented backline then I feel the Genia-Cooper halves combination is the best way to go.
Would guess all were against the US, Russia & Italy tho. Went missing in all the big games.
Yeh almost exclusively in those three matches. My point was more to illustrate that despite being bagged for his efforts in some of the big matches, some of his better efforts were rather ignored.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
When Australia have played well this year (particularly vs NZ in Brisbane and their away match in SA), Genia and Cooper were commanding. For the Reds they were irresistable. Sure Barnes is consistent - I wouldn't mind him starting at 12 (my real issue is his impact off the bench) - but if Australia are going to ignite such a talented backline then I feel the Genia-Cooper halves combination is the best way to go.

Yeh almost exclusively in those three matches. My point was more to illustrate that despite being bagged for his efforts in some of the big matches, some of his better efforts were rather ignored.
Genia was amazing in Brisbane - Cooper was solid but not game breaking. Didn't see him in SA.

I have highlighted the part I wish to comment on. He looked like the greatest 10 to ever play during the super 15. And I feel you are taking his super 15 talent into account when judging his play for Australia. You figure if persevered with he will find his feet at this level.
Is this what you think?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Genia was amazing in Brisbane - Cooper was solid but not game breaking. Didn't see him in SA.

I have highlighted the part I wish to comment on. He looked like the greatest 10 to ever play during the super 15. And I feel you are taking his super 15 talent into account when judging his play for Australia. You figure if persevered with he will find his feet at this level.
Is this what you think?
Well I will say that Super Rugby form doesn't always translate into test form - Stephen Donald's a pretty good illustration of that - but even so, when Donald was playing well he was still clearly inferior to Carter. Cooper was the best 10 in Super Rugby this year comfortably and I think that, with a little more direction, could be one of Australia's best ever 10s. Hes still only 23 IIRC so by 2015 will have a lot more experience to draw on - plus he won't have to endure the wrath of NZ crowds.

ripper868

International Coach
Yep - Let's the write the guy off at 23 and plug for a guy who hasn't played all season and shown little at international level.

Genia-Cooper is the Aussie halves pairing for the next 8 years, unless Quade goes to League.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well I will say that Super Rugby form doesn't always translate into test form - Stephen Donald's a pretty good illustration of that - but even so, when Donald was playing well he was still clearly inferior to Carter. Cooper was the best 10 in Super Rugby this year comfortably and I think that, with a little more direction, could be one of Australia's best ever 10s. Hes still only 23 IIRC so by 2015 will have a lot more experience to draw on - plus he won't have to endure the wrath of NZ crowds.
Yep - Let's the write the guy off at 23 and plug for a guy who hasn't played all season and shown little at international level.

Genia-Cooper is the Aussie halves pairing for the next 8 years, unless Quade goes to League.
Too happy right now to debate anything. If you want to pick him based on potential so be it - just provide him with mentorship and coaching.

Cheers Lads.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cooper's the bankrupt's Carlos Spencer IMHO. When he's on he's absolute diff'went gwavy, but when he's off it's painful. No half measures.

NZ usually preferred the more prosaic charms of Mehrts, so wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper usurped.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh::laugh: Got to laugh at the new rankings. Wales drop down to 8th and Ireland and Argentina move up to 6th and 7th. How the heck does that work?

There was us thinking the cricket rankings sucked. :laugh:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Wales did lose three matches at the tournament and won four...Ireland also won four but lost just one, so perhaps that has a bearing on things. That theory comes apart when you consider Argentina though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Wales did lose three matches at the tournament and won four...Ireland also won four but lost just one, so perhaps that has a bearing on things. That theory comes apart when you consider Argentina though.
I can see what you are trying to say but I don't think anyone would argue if Wales had gone to at least 5th above England the way they played the last 6 weeks. Losing a semi and a playoff match should count for more than beating a few minnows in a group match as the opponents are clearly better that Wales faced.

I guess no ranking system is perfect though.