• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reporting Posts

BoyBrumby

Englishman
so if i'm reading this thread right, everyone is pissed off at the mods for their 'innocent until guilty' stance and for not banning people left right and centre 'cause they may be a multi
Quite. Fascism ftw.

Nah, in all seriousness, Precam is very easy to spot and gives himself away quite soon. I won't speculate openly, but I'm 95% sure he's got at least one active multi here already. When these guises become obvious it becomes a kick in our collective cobblers (and flies in the face of public opinion) when the mods do their "no proof, lalalalala, not listening" routines.

Incidentally, since this ignoring of popular opinion seems to suggest very strongly we aren't a democracy (not that there's any suggestion we should be), I would be keen for some kind of elucidation as to the excruciatingly exacting burden of proof the site demands for the banning of multis? In my mind (and not just mine, judging by the posts in this thread) the tolerance of these long after their real identity is obvious, causes more harm to forum atmosphere than anything else.

It's all very well some quarters saying "ignore them, it's what they want, etc", but as quoted posts from members one has on ignore are visible, this is literally impossible. &, tbh, it becomes increasingly insulting to our intelligence that we should have to, when their identity is known (and tacitly acknowledged by the mods, or some of their number) but, because of some Stalinist edict, officially maintain a policy of denial. It's like having a convicted ponce move in next door with a new name and a bad false moustache and having the police blame you for getting annoyed when he offers your nippers a sweet and a ride in his car with the blacked out windows.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But really, I'm hearing a lot of whinging about the whole Bun-multi and how everyone knew...well we didn't. We suspected. And yes everyone suspected. Even the mods probably. But we need proof to know. I mean what do you want the mods to do? Hold a poll on their board and if more than 50% of the group say yes he's probably a multi ban him? It's as sucky situation whatever policy the mods use but the current one is the best one - sadly. Although I do think the poll could be fun

edit made before reading BB's post ftr. so like don't go thinking this is a response to that or anything

edit II of course finding proof of multis is pretty damn hard so perhaps we need re-think the policy. but i honestly don't see what policy we can use that won't piss people off and lead to either innocent people being banned or guilty people being around for 2000 posts

Last edited:

Spikey

so i believe

as far as i can tell our only option is to ban all new posters for the foreseeable future. Just as well too. This place just isn't cliquey enough.

is the best way forward for cricketweb. **** newbies. all new users must be recommended by an existing user. if the new user turns out to be a dick, the existing user also gets banned. Viva La Clique!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
so if i'm reading this thread right, everyone is pissed off at the mods for their 'innocent until guilty' stance and for not banning people left right and centre 'cause they may be a multi
Not for me - was not acting quick enough on trolls.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know PEWS has dropped this hint already, but we're all ears when it comes to forum atmosphere...
Yeah, it's not gone unnoticed. Recently I have reported a couple after Poos made his suggestion, something I'm normally loath to do short of obvious spambots.

I appreciate you chaps are operating with one hand tied around your balls, but thanks for at least trying. These little cracks in the edifice of official denial hopefully will bring forth the green shoots of common sense in their place.

Flem274*

123/5
Quite. Fascism ftw.

Nah, in all seriousness, Precam is very easy to spot and gives himself away quite soon. I won't speculate openly, but I'm 95% sure he's got at least one active multi here already. When these guises become obvious it becomes a kick in our collective cobblers (and flies in the face of public opinion) when the mods do their "no proof, lalalalala, not listening" routines.

Incidentally, since this ignoring of popular opinion seems to suggest very strongly we aren't a democracy (not that there's any suggestion we should be), I would be keen for some kind of elucidation as to the excruciatingly exacting burden of proof the site demands for the banning of multis? In my mind (and not just mine, judging by the posts in this thread) the tolerance of these long after their real identity is obvious, causes more harm to forum atmosphere than anything else.

It's all very well some quarters saying "ignore them, it's what they want, etc", but as quoted posts from members one has on ignore are visible, this is literally impossible. &, tbh, it becomes increasingly insulting to our intelligence that we should have to, when their identity is known (and tacitly acknowledged by the mods, or some of their number) but, because of some Stalinist edict, officially maintain a policy of denial. It's like having a convicted ponce move in next door with a new name and a bad false moustache and having the police blame you for getting annoyed when he offers your nippers a sweet and a ride in his car with the blacked out windows.
Accounts like Blaze prove he is not easy to spot at all. He has a variety of personalities at his disposal, and I for one suspected Bun was someone else.

Basically, to charge someone with being a multi we just need the computer gizmo evidence stuff. I'm not going to go into what we look for, but basically we want hard proof, not subjective opinion. With repeat offenders it is flawed, but going down the route of banning on suspicion is a slippery slope.

With regards to Bun=Precam being popular opinion, I'd say it's more who has the loudest opinion. The multi accusations were flying from the same corners they always do, and like always they had no proof other than "he posts similar to Precam and we don't like this guy." When this happens ad nauseum, we're likely to stop wheeling around to look for the wolf after a while.

I don't really care how many people feel like it's an insult to be told to ignore trolls. Time and again across the internet it has been proven that if they get no bites, they either troll harder and remove the benefit of the doubt, or they move on to happier hunting grounds.

Bun was provided the perfect smokescreen by some members. At first he got warnings when he was the instigator and others reacted, but then others began actively seeking him out, and trolling from one end became the usual internet bickering. The ratio of reported posts regarding Bun vs those regarding a select group of members was at least 5/6:1 and it wasn't a bunch of Indian posters spamming us with those reports. When we have that kind of rubbish to sift through, most of it members laying the bait for Bun, I feel very little sympathy for those complaining to us that we had the gall to tell them to stop looking for fights.

There is no doubt in my mind the member reaction to Bun slowed us down.

As I said above, we're all ears when it comes to forum atmosphere if you can get enough people on board. When the staff came to us and presented their case (complete with a classic Burgey rant) we agreed and took action. All I've heard for the past few months is "Bun is Precam" not "Bun is a drag on forum atmosphere." There was a lot of talk about giving him the forum atmosphere ban amongst the moderators, but it's extremely difficult to justify when Bun is trolling less than certain other members.

I need to go to dinner now, so I'll be back later.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Think we all like the forum atmosphere thing. I thought the infractions was going to deal with it tbh, but I didn't realise how much people would hate getting infractions when they didn't lead to bans... it has caught me by surprise and I think the bar to giving them out is probably higher than originally intended.

In terms of multi's, BoyBrumby, it's not always as easy to spot as you claim. The one you called out earlier in the thread I can say 100% isn't a multi on Bun (not just there is no burden of proof either way - it is certain that he isn't).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The ratio of reported posts regarding Bun vs those regarding a select group of members was at least 5/6:1 and it wasn't a bunch of Indian posters spamming us with those reports. When we have that kind of rubbish to sift through, most of it members laying the bait for Bun, I feel very little sympathy for those complaining to us that we had the gall to tell them to stop looking for fights.
There is no doubt in my mind the member reaction to Bun slowed us down.
Your inaction was the cause of people taking the law into their own hands out of frustration. In my own eyes Flem I didn't mind PEWS' answer where he called for greater powers to act on issues of site atmosphere - I find your abdication of responsibility and turning it around on the members to be poor. If there is a problem with the "system" then find it and fix it - no one except for benchmark is calling for moderators to resign over this - but I think you need to examine your systems and processes to ensure it doesn't happen again REGARDLESS of how the community reacts to a troll. The inescapable issue here is that he was allowed to make 3000 posts. And even at the end he wasn't banned for being the troll that he was. He was banned because he was a multi. He was abrasive and obnoxious. And that should have been acted on. If your systems and processes got in the way then discuss them and change them. When something goes wrong at work we don't blame people we blame systems and procedures.

Think we all like the forum atmosphere thing. I thought the infractions was going to deal with it tbh, but I didn't realise how much people would hate getting infractions when they didn't lead to bans... it has caught me by surprise and I think the bar to giving them out is probably higher than originally intended.
I find this post to be more honest. Thank you.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with Hurricane. Bun should have been banned within about 2 weeks of signing up. He was toxic. I reported him, nothing happened. In the end, I ignored him.

And do you know what. In order to ignore him, I basically had to ignore the whole of Cricket Chat. I watched the first session of pretty much every day of the Eng vs. India series and whilst I did post, I did so sparingly as the threads were utter tripe.

Frankly, whether Bun is a multi or not is irrelevant. He should have been banned as a simple honest-to-goodness troll LONG before now. The multi thing is a total red herring as far as I'm concerned.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Your inaction was the cause of people taking the law into their own hands out of frustration. In my own eyes Flem I didn't mind PEWS' answer where he called for greater powers to act on issues of site atmosphere - I find your abdication of responsibility and turning it around on the members to be poor. If there is a problem with the "system" then find it and fix it - no one except for benchmark is calling for moderators to resign over this - but I think you need to examine your systems and processes to ensure it doesn't happen again REGARDLESS of how the community reacts to a troll. The inescapable issue here is that he was allowed to make 3000 posts. And even at the end he wasn't banned for being the troll that he was. He was banned because he was a multi. He was abrasive and obnoxious. And that should have been acted on. If your systems and processes got in the way then discuss them and change them. When something goes wrong at work we don't blame people we blame systems and procedures.

I find this post to be more honest. Thank you.
Bun was banned already for trolling before he was pema'd.

Burgey

so i believe

is the best way forward for cricketweb. **** newbies. all new users must be recommended by an existing user. if the new user turns out to be a dick, the existing user also gets banned. Viva La Clique!
Sounds like Royal Sydney GC

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
For a week. Pfft.
Like any other member or even so called respected members for trolling or accumulation of infraction points?

The punishment either way had to be the same for all of them then.

Again comes back to the difference being that he was suspected of being a Multi while others had people/friends coming out to even defend them saying he Basically said what he feels and "Called it as he sees it" etc....

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like any other member or even so called respected members for trolling or accumulation of infraction points?

The punishment either way had to be the same for all of them then.

Again comes back to the difference being that he was suspected of being a Multi while others had people/friends coming out to even defend them saying he Basically said what he feels and "Called it as he sees it".
Bollocks. That's a massive slur on my judgement and completely ignores the fact that I have no issue with GIMH being banned. I've stayed right out of this multi thing and the whole point of this thread is that I reported a stack of Bun's posts when he was a brand new poster because he was clearly a troll and as far as I could tell, he gained no censure for it. If his posts had been appropriately dealt with, by the time he's copped a week long ban, he would have been on more like 50 infraction points rather than 20-odd and would cop a much longer ban for repeat offending.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bollocks. That's a massive slur on my judgement and completely ignores the fact that I have no issue with GIMH being banned. I've stayed right out of this multi thing and the whole point of this thread is that I reported a stack of Bun's posts when he was a brand new poster because he was clearly a troll and as far as I could tell, he gained no censure for it. If his posts had been appropriately dealt with, by the time he's copped a week long ban, he would have been on more like 50 infraction points rather than 20-odd and would cop a much longer ban for repeat offending.
Yeah I really think the mods should be able to use their discretion and say to a poster "yeah mate we've been getting a few messages about this guy and we're looking into it"

Surely that isn't too much work. Every now and then.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't referring to GIMH's ban or you personally having any issues with it.

But the fact that if you wanted him permabanned or harshly infracted only for trolling earlier, then the same rule would apply to others too when it takes time or accumulation of infractions for them to get banned. And then the harsher rule,will lead to further complaining at the Moderators for being too strict and what not the other side of the spectrum which happens now in any case.

You cannot just be harsher with one and deal with others lightly on the basis that one is accused of being a Multi, while the others have friends or is liked by others.(And am not referring to any user in particular here).

Last edited: