• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Brian Cook isn't serious about the 4 picks thing? Scully is two years into his career and with any luck has a good ten left. Of course that factors into the compensation for him, whereas Ablett has nowhere near that amount of time left. He's a better player but Scully's expected length of service is what makes them comparable.

The fact that they ended up getting pretty similar compo sounds fair to me. I reckon Cook probably thought the Geelong fans just wanted someone to come out and throw a few punches.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Surely Brian Cook isn't serious about the 4 picks thing? Scully is two years into his career and with any luck has a good ten left. Of course that factors into the compensation for him, whereas Ablett has nowhere near that amount of time left. He's a better player but Scully's expected length of service is what makes them comparable.

The fact that they ended up getting pretty similar compo sounds fair to me. I reckon Cook probably thought the Geelong fans just wanted someone to come out and throw a few punches.
Sorry, but the suggestion by Simon Garlick that the Bulldogs would expect "at least two first round draft picks" as compensation for Callan Ward was ridiculous, and set the wheels rolling. Can argue either way with regards to Scully (if he wins three AFLPA MVPs in his career, then I'll move back to England, but he will give more years of service).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kangaroos star Daniel Wells is set to miss the bulk of the pre-season | Herald Sun

somewhat oddly for a news ltd article it's not very sensationalized, but hey he could have died
Exaggeration, but not good. Horrible from a health point of view but also from a football point of view having to miss the Utah camp.

Also, don't support Geelong or Hawthorn ftr.
Based on what Brad Scott said on AFL Insider, it wasn't an exaggeration. They feared for his life, and Brad Scott reckons if it was not discovered Daniel Wells could have (though unlikely) died on the field whilst playing.

Apparently he can't have any physical contact for 6 months.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, but the suggestion by Simon Garlick that the Bulldogs would expect "at least two first round draft picks" as compensation for Callan Ward was ridiculous, and set the wheels rolling. Can argue either way with regards to Scully (if he wins three AFLPA MVPs in his career, then I'll move back to England, but he will give more years of service).
I didn't hear Garlick say that but I agree that it's ridiculous.

Although with first round draft picks the value can be anything from good to great. Two end of first round picks for Ward might have been close to the mark, as would other arrangements.

I don't really get your point about the MVPs though. If a player is past or nearly past his prime, then his past achievements quickly lose their value at the trade table, and really, that record says that their old club was fairly well compensated by that player's service in the first place. To me the expectation of many years of service is worth a great deal.

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Carlton's side looks so bad. Still, a final is a final, and their extra experience will be an advantage.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
uh Freo wtf

that said I didn't rate him and I think it's a good move, just came out of nowhere

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Whoa...

That's... kinda out of the blue. Although maybe they thought his constant excuses for everything were just wearing thin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They've clearly already secured someone. Ross Lyon rumour going very strong, with the Eade rumour coming late but being hosed down by Eade's management.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
They've clearly already secured someone. Ross Lyon rumour going very strong, with the Eade rumour coming late but being hosed down by Eade's management.
Yeah it really can't be anything else.

Absolutely brutal stuff by Freo, has the smell of being quite a coup on their end, so it must be a big name.

Obviously Ross Lyon's name will be chucked around and Eade is another candidate. I think you can scrub Dean Bailey. Who else is a chance? Neil Craig maybe? Nearly got the West Coast gig before Ken Judge pipped him iirc, so you'd think he'd consider the move to Perth. I think he could do good things with Freo's list too.

Spikey

hahahah oh wow.

- 5 weeks ago this started happening
- It was all Lyon. His management group has sacked Lyon for going behind their backs and doing a deal with Freo....and Harvey is managed by the same group

Burgey

Extraordinary conduct by Lyon to negotiate behind his own manager's back. They'll be into him for their cut of his deal for sure.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
So where does this leave Harvey then? I think his record is generally good enough for a club looking for an experienced coach to go with him. Seeing as I don't think Melbourne wants Eade, and they won't get Malthouse, they might have had a windfall here.