• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Worried about Bastinac in 2012 now. Him and Goldy probably the targets from us but I think Goldy has more to keep him in Melbourne, Bastinac might want to go play with his best mate.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, I ****ing hate the whole system with GWS. It screws over clubs like the Dogs and Melbourne who just can't compete and get **** on by the compensation system. In the last two years we've lost core players and it in return get a couple of first round picks between them after putting in like 4-5 years work. It sucks.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, and the "first round draft picks" aren't as attractive as they sound. Heard somebody say the other day that the first round of the draft ends at about 28 or so this year (given all of the GWS picks, priority picks for Brisbane/GC/Port, and other compensation picks). All told, In what is already mooted to be a thin draft, the compensation of a "first round draft pick" is not as attractive as its sounds.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah makes no sense that the expansion teams can scuttle the rebuilding process of other clubs (by snatching away those clubs' young jets) when those expansion sides already have access to the best young talent through half a dozen top ten picks in the actual draft. The better way would be for all players under say 23 to be quarantined from the uncontracted players that GWS can sign.

Redbacks

International Captain
The compensation picks have a 3 year option on them so a club could wait until 2014 when the draft is hopefully strong again. With the GC and Geelong, iirc Geelong traded their pick 16 with 3 years for the GC pick 15.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Dees shouldn't get sympathy for losing Tom Scully

Pretty terrible article really. Regardless of whether you believe Melbourne tanked to get Scully (which really goes more to what you believe tanking is), why shouldn't a club get sympathy for losing a kid that they used the number one draft pick on after putting two years of development into him?

Fitness permitting he's going to be one of the best number one picks ever, so to suggest that Melbourne should take the two first round compo picks they will probably get and be thankful for it is a bit rich.

And really, this situation highlights to me the fact that the AFL have **** all over themselves, because even if they do succeed in getting GWS off the ground, their commitment to an 18 side competition for the foreseeable future which is as even as possible is only made harder by the creation of a dynamic where the clubs that need the most support at the moment are the ones getting screwed over by core players leaving.

howardj

International Coach
Could be the game of year this Saturday - Eagles v Blues.

Juddy v Kerr-y

I think they were each other's best man at their recent nuptuals.

Two guns.

howardj

International Coach
If Eagles win, they will play Geelong on the following Saturday afternoon (not night) so as to allow the Eagles to fly back to Perth on that Saturday in preparation for the GF (provided they best Geelong).

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In some ways, I like Cornes, McDonald and Power joining GWS - they need guys who will help the squad develop for the next 2 seasons before their players become experienced.

Redbacks

International Captain
The Bombers pretty much reached equilibrium under Sheedy. He wasn't prepared to cut hard and play for picks, thus he recruited 2nd hand players and I think this is why he was eventually sacked as the game went past him. As such, he wasn't prepared to play under the new paradigm of letting fringe players stay in the side with the future in mind. Often kids were thrown in and out of the side every second week, because eqaully poor senior players deserved the game under his system of values, and the word mini final was thrashed around in desperation to motivate the side. For that reason I was suprised the AFL gave him the reigns of the new club. The future is exactly what the club needs to look at otherwise you will see GC in the top 4 in 3-4 years and GWS still middling around.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Bombers pretty much reached equilibrium under Sheedy. He wasn't prepared to cut hard and play for picks, thus he recruited 2nd hand players and I think this is why he was eventually sacked as the game went past him.

Wasn't helped by the board tbf. It wasn't until his last season in charge that we actually got a recruiting department. Up until 2006 adrian dodoro was doing it all alone...and he had to juggle it with other roles at the club. Since then Merv Keane has come in to help out and we've got other watchers in WA, VIC etc. We were picking up 2nd hand players in part because we just didn't know enough about the kids. And of course we still had Fletch, Hird, Lucas and Lloyd going too.