• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Harper withdraws from Dominica test

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Any past examples of that?
I would be surprised if there wasn't, but I cbf to look.

I don't understand this.. are you saying it is ok if he made these comments when there was no UDRS???
I'm not saying its okay...but I wouldn't have been as bothered by them. I'd have thought the hotel comment was complete prick behaviour regardless but it wouldn't have wound me up like it did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't understand this.. are you saying it is ok if he made these comments when there was no UDRS???
No, it's misconduct whether or not DRS exists.

The point is that there is a system in place to help umpire make less mistakes and get more decisions correct, which at the end of the day is what everyone wants. The reason Dhoni is getting flak for this is because he is complaining about umpires getting decisions wrong yet his board have opposed a system which helps umpires do their jobs better.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: willis ripping into Harper. He's just called him a joker.
This Test match is turning into an intriguing battle between Harper and the rain. Who will prevail?
Harper's Facebook page just been shown on Sky, my word. The plot thickens.
Erm can someone explain to me why that deVilliers decision was overturned? (I was in bed when it happened and just saw it properly for the first time)

This is an absolute shambles
Clear double standards by the third umpire:dry:

GIMH on Darryl Harper during the England - South Africa series.

The England team in unison criticising him ,and also the Chairman of the ECB.

In fact Giles Clarke claimed this-

“It’s absurd without Hot Spot,” said Clarke on Saturday. “How on earth can you have a caught-behind overturned? Until the technology is applied correctly we are better off with the old system, because at least if the umpire is as deaf as a post and as blind as a bat it’s the same for both sides.”

Somebody calls the chairman of the ECB on this and says he should not moan ,Let alone call the umpires deaf and dumb-

Response -
Yeah, after all, we've no reason to moan about the way it's been applied in this match, just typical English moaning 8-)

And Smith didn't say he never hit it...he said he wasn't sure - anyone with half a brain knows that that means he knows he did.
Harper claims to be the scapegoat -
South Africa v England: Daryl Harper says he is 'scapegoat' over TV referral - Telegraph

Now GIMH's reaction on Dhoni just saying that a couple of wrong decisions were made and not even criticising anyone directly or any incident -

Except I'm almost certain players, and especially captains, coming out and making such comments is classed as misconduct.

It's not Dhoni's place to make these comments. And I am certain if Ponting had said them, you'd feel like I do.
And his job is to fine Dhoni for those comments, which bring the game into disrepute.
Dhoni's a wanker, always suspected it and those comments confirmed it. Should have been fined 50% of his match fee.

:toot:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cevno, I addressed the South Africa series in one of the other UDRS threads.

The decision I ranted about was wrong. And I do think having no hotspot was stupid. Just like no hawkeye.

Nonetheless, I am not the England captain.

I don't agree with Giles Clarke's comments; I was sceptical after the Windies and Saffa series...what's your point?

You digging up old quotes out of context is tiresome.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Umpires will make mistakes though. Always and forever.
What India has complained about though is that Harper is incompetent. They are unhappy with supposedly six of his decisions and also with Praveen being banned. They might be wrong in their opinion but saying Dhoni cannot complain because he is a against UDRS is stupid.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't have a problem if any of you lot came out and criticised the umpiring btw. Which is why you quoting me shouting at umpires is irrelevant. ****'s sake.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Cevno, it's a bit unnecessary to bring up 2-year old quotes I feel.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What India has complained about though is that Harper is incompetent. They are unhappy with supposedly six of his decisions and also with Praveen being banned. They might be wrong in their opinion but saying Dhoni cannot complain because he is a against UDRS is stupid.
They lose the right to complain about umpiring incompetence when they reject a system which would have corrected a lot of those errors. That's why people are getting pissed off with the Indian team whining.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Cevno, I addressed the South Africa series in one of the other UDRS threads.

The decision I ranted about was wrong. And I do think having no hotspot was stupid. Just like no hawkeye.

Nonetheless, I am not the England captain.

I don't agree with Giles Clarke's comments; I was sceptical after the Windies and Saffa series...what's your point?

You digging up old quotes out of context is tiresome.
So you would be fine if the Indian coach and the Board president came out and criticised Harper and implied the umpires were deaf and dumb?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So you would be fine if the Indian coach and the Board president came out and criticised Harper and implied the umpires were deaf and dumb?
No, because it's not the same thing.

Clarke criticised the umpiring in the series because the way that UDRS was implemented was ****ing ******** at times.

The Indian board are refusing to use a system which reduces the number of wrong decisions that are made in Tests. You can't exactly complain about bad decisions when you're also denying the umpires the tools to do their jobs better.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No, because it's not the same thing.

Clarke criticised the umpiring in the series because the way that UDRS was implemented was ****ing ******** at times.

The Indian board are refusing to use a system which reduces the number of wrong decisions that are made in Tests. You can't exactly complain about bad decisions when you're also denying the umpires the tools to do their jobs better.
Clarke agreed to have UDRS without the Hotspot in that series though .Shouldn't have if he thought it was better not had without it?

It was the exact opposite of this situation as England agreed to have the technology that cost them.

Besides there is no guaranted as i have said numerous times that those decisions would have been overturned with the DRS as like Raina and Bravo's decisions in this match ,there was no conclusive proof in some cases on replay.

Well after agreeing to use the UDRS Flower also claimed this,in addition to Clarke implying the system was better not to be used without Hotspot and implying the umpires were deaf and dumb -

“If it wasn’t such a serious match, I would have found it quite amusing,” said England coach Andy Flower. “The words the match referee used were that 'he [Harper] hadn’t deemed it necessary’ to turn the volume up.

"Of course mistakes do happen and we all make them every day. But when there is very little logic or reason to it, that is disappointing.”

“It happened at a very important time,” said Flower. “At the start of the day, we needed early wickets, and Graeme is obviously a big wicket because he’s played very well in the series so far. We don’t know what would have happened. It could have been crucial.”

“That argument is going to be raging for a while yet,” said Flower. “I quite like the theory of reducing the absolutely shocking decisions. If it happens, then perhaps using referrals is the right thing to do, but incidents like this don’t reflect well on the ICC.”
I am not saying they did anything wrong ,but that Dhoni did nothing wrong as well.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Clarke agreed to have UDRS without the Hotspot in that series though .Shouldn't have if he thought it was better not had without it?

It was the exact opposite of this situation as England agreed to have the technology that cost them.

Besides there is no guaranted as i have said numerous times that those decisions would have been overturned with the DRS as like Raina and Bravo's decisions in this match ,there was no conclusive proof in some cases on replay.
What's HotSpot got to do with the third umpire missing an enormous edge on one of the reviews?