• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

Jacknife

International Captain
recent form?
Hasn't it already been stated by myself and zaremba, that we picked KP because we feel he'll have a very good series against India.
I don't see the big deal, it's my opinion, who I'd like in my combined team, if you don''t like it deal with it.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I didn't say it's a crime.

But it's lacking in logic. More so when an attempt is made to play down Laxman. I can understand people selecting KP with nothing more than a nationalist cap on. Fair enough, let's not try justify it with any other logic like performance/form/stats etc or else it would look downright silly.
Now I'd myself have Laxman ahead of KP, but can totally understand why someone else would have their positions swapped in a combined XI.

See, KP is a bit of a form and confidence player. The way he batted yesterday (quality of the attack, regardless) indicated that his game is getting close to where it belongs - right at the top. I am not sure if you actually saw the knock, but all of us who did seem to be unanimous in our beliefs that the man's getting back. I reiterate it's NOT about the 90-odd he scored, but the way in which he approached the game.

You can make it out with the way he takes that big stride forward and has an audacious way of charging even the quicker bowlers. Players that thrive on confidence are very dangerous when on song.

The choice doesn't have to be nationalistic. Not all choices need to be made on immediate performance/ stats either. Both KP and Laxman are high quality test batsmen and I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone thinks that KP promises to deliver more in this series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I honestly question just how much of Laxman people have watched in the last 18 months.

If people are choosing KP because he scores better, then they are making a pretty big sacrifice.

If they are choosing KP because he has a better record in England, well then that's fair enough I guess because the idea of choosing a combined XI was not clear. Was it overall? Was it for the conditions? Was it just to start a bitchy fight? etc etc.

Bun

Banned
Hasn't it already been stated by myself and zaremba, that we picked KP because we feel he'll have a very good series against India.
I don't see the big deal, it's my opinion, who I'd like in my combined team, if you don''t like it deal with it.
Then why try to justify it using measurable factors like form/performance etc?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
As a general comment, gentlemen, IMHO it would be better if such discussions are kept objective. When comparing excellent players with not too much to separate them (as both men being discussed are), sometimes a personal gut feel can help one in making a decision. I don't see anything particularly wrong with that. Neither should anyone take it too personally.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
recent form?
KP looks in pretty bloody decent nick to me.

As for Laxman, it's not as though he's got unanswerable form behind him. He hasn't played a Test for nearly 6 months and he's got what, a couple of centuries in the last 2 years?

Bun

Banned
Now I'd myself have Laxman ahead of KP, but can totally understand why someone else would have their positions swapped in a combined XI.

See, KP is a bit of a form and confidence player. The way he batted yesterday (quality of the attack, regardless) indicated that his game is getting close to where it belongs - right at the top. I am not sure if you actually saw the knock, but all of us who did seem to be unanimous in our beliefs that the man's getting back. I reiterate it's NOT about the 90-odd he scored, but the way in which he approached the game.

You can make it out with the way he takes that big stride forward and has an audacious way of charging even the quicker bowlers. Players that thrive on confidence are very dangerous when on song.

The choice doesn't have to be nationalistic. Not all choices need to be made on immediate performance/ stats either. Both KP and Laxman are high quality test batsmen and I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone thinks that KP promises to deliver more in this series.
See my post above,

Now as to the "way" KP batted yesterday, are you really asking me to believe that just by one day's work against a bowling attack that has been absolutely terrible to say the least, to override what Laxman's been doing over the last 2 years? He might be a confidence or touch player, but it isn't the first time he's looked comfortable on the pitch in the last 2 years, is he? Remember his hundred in Australia, everyone thought he might have turned a corner, come summer and he's back to the square one. Now the expectations of him have become so low that even an 85 against this popgun attack merits cricinfo articles :laugh:

How much of Laxman have you watched really??

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
If they are choosing KP because he has a better record in England, well then that's fair enough I guess because the idea of choosing a combined XI was not clear. Was it overall? Was it for the conditions?
I was specifically keeping this series at this point of time in mind while making my selections. Hence, I have Prior ahead of Dhoni. Had it been in India, it would have been the other way around.

My impression is that most people have made selections pertinent to this upcoming series in England. I could be mistaken though.

Jacknife

International Captain
I honestly question just how much of Laxman people have watched in the last 18 months.

If people are choosing KP because he scores better, then they are making a pretty big sacrifice.

If they are choosing KP because he has a better record in England, well then that's fair enough I guess because the idea of choosing a combined XI was not clear. Was it overall? Was it for the conditions? Was it just to start a bitchy fight? etc etc.
I just thought it was who I would you like, in a side comprised out of the players in both teams, simple as that. I love watching KP bat, love how he can take the attack to the opposition and like in the example I highlighted, can get his team into a winning position they otherwise wouldn't be. Maybe because he plays for England and have seen, more of what he can do but I've also seen the great knocks that VVS has played.

Bun

Banned
KP looks in pretty bloody decent nick to me.

As for Laxman, it's not as though he's got unanswerable form behind him. He hasn't played a Test for nearly 6 months and he's got what, a couple of centuries in the last 2 years?
He's got more 100s than KP in the last 2 years mate, and remember he gets to bat at no.5 or 6 after the likes of Tendulkar/Sehwag/Gambhir/Dravid etc have made their dough. Hence the lower no. of 100s.

So actually you're asking me to give more weightage to a series tally of 162 runs @ 40 against a SL attack comprising Welegedera, Herath & Co. to 2 years of averaging above 60 and performing against the very best. And I thought I made strawman arguments, jeez.

Jacknife

International Captain
Then why try to justify it using measurable factors like form/performance etc?
Eh, when did I do that, stop putting words in my mouth bud. I said I love how he plays and imo he will have a good series, that simple, my list, my choice, deal with it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Now as to the "way" KP batted yesterday, are you really asking me to believe that just by one day's work against a bowling attack that has been absolutely terrible to say the least, to override what Laxman's been doing over the last 2 years? He might be a confidence or touch player, but it isn't the first time he's looked comfortable on the pitch in the last 2 years, is he? Remember his hundred in Australia, everyone thought he might have turned a corner, come summer and he's back to the square one. Now the expectations of him have become so low that even an 85 against this popgun attack merits cricinfo articles :laugh:
A very strange response to a very balanced contribution from Outswinger@pace.

Bun

Banned
I was specifically keeping this series at this point of time in mind while making my selections. Hence, I have Prior ahead of Dhoni. Had it been in India, it would have been the other way around.

My impression is that most people have made selections pertinent to this upcoming series in England. I could be mistaken though.
since beginning of 2010, ie, last 18 months, KP averages 32 from 9 tests in England.

I'd love to hear how that counts in his favor for a home test.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
He might be a confidence or touch player, but it isn't the first time he's looked comfortable on the pitch in the last 2 years, is he? Remember his hundred in Australia, everyone thought he might have turned a corner, come summer and he's back to the square one.
Just a couple of games in summer against Sri Lanka and you think he's struggling? Sometimes, coming after a long break, a player may need some time to get into the groove.

And I didn't see that knock in Ashes, so I wouldn't comment. I saw KP yesterday after about 1.5 yrs or so and he looked like the old one. Laxman is not a touch player; he always seems to bat with effortless grace even if he scores 20.

But with touch and confidence players, this thing (visual appearance) can mean a lot. If people here feel that KP would have a better series, I certainly wouldn't call it an outrageous claim.

I mean, it's not as if someone is selecting Steven Smith ahead of Laxman. :laugh:

How much of Laxman have you watched really??
A lot. His knocks in Mohali, Colombo and Durban were match-winning epics; I watched them all.

In case you missed it, I actually have Laxman in my combined team. Would take him over most of his team-mates as well, tbh. But that's just my take.