• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

Jacknife

International Captain
It's hardly likely that KP's a better player than Laxman right now, but if you think he'll have a great series, what's wrong with that?
Yes, I thought that's the point, I'd rather have KP in my side because he offers something different to Laxman.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A lack of form.
Spot the guy who didn't watch KP bat yesterday

Didn't know we were comparing them in ODIs and T20s, if that's the case you've a point.
Yeah coz KP has never taken a Test attack apart before. He didn't take the best attack of the century apart on his debut or anything and then made a habit of doing it for the following four years.

Bun

Banned
As if Laxman has never done that to any test attack 8-)

Or failed to step up when the team needed him most to..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Spot the guy who didn't watch KP bat yesterday

Yeah coz KP has never taken a Test attack apart before. He didn't take the best attack of the century apart on his debut or anything and then made a habit of doing it for the following four years.

Yesterday eh? Form in one day bursts. Harbhajan Singh is the greatest bowler of all time since he averages 7 wickets per innings - if you only take his last test innings into account.

KP still averages 41 since the beginning of 2010.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
It's a rubbish comparison...

on one hand we have laxman who has averaged over 65 since beginning of 2009, and played unbelievable back from dead knocks and on the other a KP averaging 40ish in the last year and half...

And going by the weightage people put on his last knock, which came against the likes of Messrs Welegadara, CDR Fernando and Rangana Herath, you'd assume he'd scored a double hundred, not a half century.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Do please try to calm down. KP on form is a world-class player, and given how he's now batting he looks in good touch. Laxman is a fine player but it's not a crime, under English law, to suggest that an in-form KP might get into a combined team ahead of him. The position under Indian law might be different, I just don't know.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As if Laxman has never done that to any test attack 8-)

Or failed to step up when the team needed him most to..

You won't hear me say this much but sorry Bun, I read your post out of context and thought you were saying something different to what you were.

We gonna bring 2005 up?

Gonna bring up Eden Gardens 2001 next :ph34r:
Specifically said from his debut onwards. I have a mate who works in Customs. Gonna get him to make your life hell, bitch.

Yesterday eh? Form in one day bursts. Harbhajan Singh is the greatest bowler of all time since he averages 7 wickets per innings - if you only take his last test innings into account.

KP still averages 41 since the beginning of 2010.
You said KP has no form. It's not true.

Like I said to vcs, averages are irrelevant to a question like is KP in form? You only have to watch him play to know. When KP's out of form, he'll still get a score but not quite himself.

When he's playing like he was yesterday, he always scores regularly.

And lol at an 18 month average of 41 being 'no form' anyway.

Bun

Banned
Do please try to calm down. KP on form is a world-class player, and given how he's now batting he looks in good touch. Laxman is a fine player but it's not a crime, under English law, to suggest that an in-form KP might get into a combined team ahead of him. The position under Indian law might be different, I just don't know.
I didn't say it's a crime.

But it's lacking in logic. More so when an attempt is made to play down Laxman. I can understand people selecting KP with nothing more than a nationalist cap on. Fair enough, let's not try justify it with any other logic like performance/form/stats etc or else it would look downright silly.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't say it's a crime.

But it's lacking in logic. More so when an attempt is made down to play down Laxman. I can understand people selecting KP with nothing more than a nationalist cap on. Fair enough, let's not try justify it with other logic or else it would look downright silly.
4 reasons why one might reasonably pick KP ahead of Laxman, irrespective of nationality:

- Better Test average
- Scores more centuries
- Scores more quickly
- Home town advantage

I've no particular desire to get involved in a tedious statsfight, btw.

Bun

Banned
4 reasons why one might reasonably pick KP ahead of Laxman, irrespective of nationality:

- Better Test average
- Scores more centuries
- Scores more quickly
- Home town advantage

recent form?

Since beginning of 2010,

KP - avg 40, Laxman avg 65
KP 100s - 1 (last 25 tests), Laxman - 2
Agree on scoring slightly more quickly but irrelevant in test match scenario considering Laxman having to bat out time to save India.
Home town advantage?? Doesn't look like he's set the English scene on fire either...

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain

- Better Test average
- Scores more centuries
- Scores more quickly
- Home town advantage

I agree and just for example of why I'd have KP, in the Ashes when he scored 227 in 308 balls, he did that because the rain was coming in and England were going to run out of time to bowl Aus out. If he didn't score as quickly and as many as he did, England probably wouldn't have won the 2nd test because it rained all day, hour after England took the last wicket.