• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Official' Pakistan in West Indies

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Sammy is a poor mans Bravo, having said that, Bravo at this point probably doesn't make the test side, given the fact there are four bowlers that are better than him and a fair amount of batsmen better than him... Unfortunate though, I really liked Bravo when I was young, but his batting hasn't progressed like it should've done given the talent I think he holds... I still think despite the million chances he's had and as much as I agreed with giving him a wake up call that Ramdin should be in the test side, he scored runs domestically this season and having seen Baugh he cant fear any worse than him and always has been ahead of him in terms of talent, hopefully he can realise his U19 potential fiiiiiiianlly, though I fear this is wishful thinking...

I'm struggling with the idea of Fidel not making the test side, but unfortunately there's no space for him while we still have a weakness in batting and Sammy having bought himself another few series'...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
With those two back in strengthens their batting a lot.

Though the middle order and the keeper are still a relative weakness.

But then they have Simmons,Dwayne Bravo,Taylor/edwards,Samuels,Benn,Miller etc.. as decent backup alternatives too.

But can trust the WICB selectors and the board to not build from here ,but mess things up.
Which in fact is true of both these teams.
Middle order's not bad TBH.

Woodster

International Captain
I've been critical of Darren Sammy but his accuracy on a pitch that didn't do his style of bowling any harm was excellent. He must give the side control if he doesn't have the ability to make breakthroughs, at Providence, he did both.

I still don't think over a period of time he will prove worthy of a spot in the Test XI, but credit should be given in the opening Test.

Pakistan clearly had problems with the bat, but will making a number of changes alter it too much, or would it just be a hasty reaction to a difficult first Test. I'd persevere with those selected for Guyana, Hafeez, Taufeeq, Azhar, etc, so quick are Pakistan to jettison players out of the side, I think they'd be better served in sitting tight and allow those in the team the opportunity to make amends.

smash84

The Tiger King
I've been critical of Darren Sammy but his accuracy on a pitch that didn't do his style of bowling any harm was excellent. He must give the side control if he doesn't have the ability to make breakthroughs, at Providence, he did both.

I still don't think over a period of time he will prove worthy of a spot in the Test XI, but credit should be given in the opening Test.

Pakistan clearly had problems with the bat, but will making a number of changes alter it too much, or would it just be a hasty reaction to a difficult first Test. I'd persevere with those selected for Guyana, Hafeez, Taufeeq, Azhar, etc, so quick are Pakistan to jettison players out of the side, I think they'd be better served in sitting tight and allow those in the team the opportunity to make amends.
awta. Good analysis.

shivfan

Banned
Before this series, I would've agreed with Jigga's assessment that Sammy is a poor man's Bravo....

However, now my view has changed. After his op, Dwayne Bravo is bowling no faster than Sammy, and with less accuracy. Bravo's batting has deteriorated to the point where it's not much better than Sammy's. I think Big Bravo needs to do a lot more to convince us he's back to his old self before looking at a return to the Test side.

But I agree about Ramdin. Baugh is in the side because he's supposed to contribute more with the bat, and to date he hasn't done so. His glovework is inferior to Ramdin, and Ramdin was dropped because he wasn't contributing with the bat. Ramdin has also made runs domestically, as Jigga says, so if Baugh doesn't produce runs in this Test, I think Ramdin should be recalled....

In the meantime, there are no changes in the 14 players who've made their way to St Kitts, and the 13-man squad should be announced tomorrow. I want to see just one change to the team - Devon Smith out, and someone - anyone, please! - to open the batting with Simmons.
:dry:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Taufeeq and Umar Akmal.

I don't think there's any case for dropping Hafeez,Azhar Ali and Asad Shafique.Hafeez is in the form of his life,whereas Azhar Ali and Asad Shafique have been impressive so far.

Taufeeq has been given too many chances,whereas Umar Akmal should probably be dropped because of a lack of space,not talent.
Since it looks like Yousuf wouldn't be coming into this side for a while (regardless of my feelings on the issue :@), the younger Khatmal could be given an extended run. He looks to be a promising strokeplayer and needs a bit of mentoring and discipline to become a fine Test player. Rest of your line-up reads fine and dropping Taufeeq is justified.

From what I saw in the Providence, Azhar Ali looks to be a player of the Crowe-Vaughan-Atapattu mould and I'd be seriously disappointed if the man doesn't end up with a high Test batting average. All the raw material is there. I'd go so far as to say that he could be one of the players to watch out for in the coming decade. Perhaps I am going out on a limb here, but the assurance with which I saw him play on an up-and-down pitch was staggering.

Chopping and changing match-after-match is the best way to kill a talented young cricketer's confidence. I hope the PCB learns from past mistakes and persists with these batsmen!

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Completely agree on the Azhar Ali bit.Looks very promising and here's to stay.

Ofcourse if Yousuf doesn't come back,Umar Akmal should retain his place in the squad.There are no two ways about it.I'm a big fan of the guy.So much talent,and he's only 21.I daresay,with the belief and confidence that he has,he even has the makings of a very good captain for the future.The talent is there,it just needs to be nurtured properly.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Before this series, I would've agreed with Jigga's assessment that Sammy is a poor man's Bravo....

However, now my view has changed. After his op, Dwayne Bravo is bowling no faster than Sammy, and with less accuracy. Bravo's batting has deteriorated to the point where it's not much better than Sammy's. I think Big Bravo needs to do a lot more to convince us he's back to his old self before looking at a return to the Test side.

But I agree about Ramdin. Baugh is in the side because he's supposed to contribute more with the bat, and to date he hasn't done so. His glovework is inferior to Ramdin, and Ramdin was dropped because he wasn't contributing with the bat. Ramdin has also made runs domestically, as Jigga says, so if Baugh doesn't produce runs in this Test, I think Ramdin should be recalled....

In the meantime, there are no changes in the 14 players who've made their way to St Kitts, and the 13-man squad should be announced tomorrow. I want to see just one change to the team - Devon Smith out, and someone - anyone, please! - to open the batting with Simmons.
:dry:
You'd think Dsmith would have to go.

Heard Barath is going to be ready for the India series so he'll be gone anyway soon

smash84

The Tiger King
Azhar looks decent but has underperformed a little too much for my liking.......is beginning to remind me of Imran Farhat

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran Farhat has a century against India. :laugh: Actually there was another bloke who got a century against India, I think Faisal Iqbal. Wonder what happened to him.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Imran Farhat calls Faisal Iqbal 'bhanja' (Miandad's nephew) and Faisal Iqbal calls Imran Farhat 'damaad' (Mohammad Ilyas's son-in-law). Everybody else call them both 'sifarshi' (someone getting a position due to nepotism).

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran Farhat and Faisal Iqbal probably have to be the worst sifarshi (in the team due to nepotism) players.

Funny that Imran was also probably drafted in the team initially due to nepotism (possibly). I do remember reading that his cousin had played and captained the national side and one was a senior member in the BCCP (as the PCB was known back then)