• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I've giving the insight why players cannot do such. It's not blind patriotism. Who pays the bucks that was spent at developing these players?
How much money was spent of Malinga ? I am not sure if the Boards were involved in development of Malinga at all, they didn't even know him until he was 17.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
arent those repaid by way of the percentage on their fee?

heck, it's not as if each board is an outsourced production line for ipl ffs. the players are in it for just 2 months of a year, and the boards amounts they generally would expect in a year to get
No it is not. For every success like Malinga there are 25-50 failures in the system. But you need to spent for every potential player to get your class player out of that. The amount payed by IPL is negligible with what it takes to develop half a dozen of players, so one would make the national team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How much money was spent of Malinga ? I am not sure if the Boards were involved in development of Malinga at all, they didn't even know him until he was 17.
Player names are immaterial. Here you pick Malinga because he was one of the least coached players. But, Fernando warming the bench without match practice is a concern. He's better playing tour games if he's not selected for the XI of MI. So is Kulasekara and Nuwan Pradeep These players are products of some gruel some work. At least Prera and Randiv are playing for their teams. Even if Malinga's case, his salary from the bank is payed off the taxes of ordinary people. Malinga was specifically coached for 2 years by Ramanayake, studying his action and finding out methods how to become better. In what ever stance, your argument is invalid.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Player names are immaterial. Here you pick Malinga because he was one of the least coached players. But, Fernando warming the bench without match practice is a concern. He's better playing tour games if he's not selected for the XI of MI. So is Kulasekara and Nuwan Pradeep These players are products of some gruel some work. At least Prera and Randiv are playing for their teams. Even if Malinga's case, his salary from the bank is payed off the taxes of ordinary people. Malinga was specifically coached for 2 years by Ramanayake, studying his action and finding out methods how to become better. In what ever stance, your argument is invalid.
So for 2 years of coaching Malinga has served his board for almost 10 years now. That should be enough payback for any professional in any profession.

And how are these players paid off by tax payers money ? Is Sri Lanka Cricket Board a Government organization ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No it is not. For every success like Malinga there are 25-50 failures in the system. But you need to spent for every potential player to get your class player out of that. The amount payed by IPL is negligible with what it takes to develop half a dozen of players, so one would make the national team.
Malinga isn't the product of SL System, you yourself accepted that he is one of the least coached players.

If the amount paid by IPL is negligible then why are SL Cricket Board allowing its players ? They can simply withdraw their cricketers from IPL if it is hurting their cricket so much.

Bun

Banned
haha funny how one person blames ipl coz it doesn allow players to rest, while another one blames it coz it keeps benching players without match practise :laugh:

migara, just asking, what additional benefit would malinga have, for example, provided to the poor taxpayers in sri lanka during the two months that the ipl is happening?

or say a dilshan or sanga ftr?

and also, I ackowledge sl board spend money to develop players, but please, its not charity work. ultimate financial motive is to stay in the green or black as much as possible. if a few weeks of ipl cricket (please tell me how many guys have dropped dead after an ipl season), can provide a handsome profit without any risk or endeavour except from signing a paper, why should rthey say no to it?

yes, this will mean a few players getting bigger salaries in proportion to other. but isnt a few earning millions than none earning at all? also in the long run, people who are shying away from playing cricket considering it to be less rewarding may actually take up cricket, maybe with a view to making it big in t20, but may turn out to be well rounded players after all. all big achievements have humble beginnings.

and iirc, the likes of malinga, jaya are still very much sl citizens, which means all these millions they earn, are getting injected into the sl economy, which is capital and asset creation. there is this multiplier effect associated with it, so actually these guys are rewarding more than you think they are to the country.

all these from just two months of loaning out staff. see the incremental gain from a bigger perspective, the incremental losses are overblown, and largely unfounded. to make statements that cricket will die out and that the nation is losing out are extremely narrow, myopic viewpoints. country is not losing out. a tiny majority of test crazy cricket fans who believe tests must be conducted twelve months a year, and that players should all prefer them regardless of it being rewarding or not, are imho ultra selfish and just there out to whet their fetish.

Bun

Banned
Malinga isn't the product of SL System, you yourself accepted that he is one of the least coached players.

If the amount paid by IPL is negligible then why are SL Cricket Board allowing its players ? They can simply withdraw their cricketers from IPL if it is hurting their cricket so much.
read somewhere that sl board stands to benefit half a million dollars atleast from just the cut from these guys' ipl salaries.

juxtapose that against thier dire financials. apparently the country of sri lanka suffers a 25 million dollar debt due to their involvement in the world cup. okay, they'll get their cut from the icc, but if one analyses past history, including the one rpior to ipl, sl board has never been in good financial shape anyways, the no. of timed they have come to bcci to bail them out is testimony to this.

just like the proverbial hookah popping beggar yelling at the hardworking sweeper, ridiculing his choice of job.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to me that Board has made two different commitments for the same period. IPL/BCCI is the easy target. Cricketers are even easier to target for choosing the Club that treats them well over the country (read Cricket Board) that treats them like ****.

jeevan

International 12th Man
read somewhere that sl board stands to benefit half a million dollars atleast from just the cut from these guys' ipl salaries.

juxtapose that against thier dire financials. apparently the country of sri lanka suffers a 25 million dollar debt due to their involvement in the world cup. okay, they'll get their cut from the icc, but if one analyses past history, including the one rpior to ipl, sl board has never been in good financial shape anyways, the no. of timed they have come to bcci to bail them out is testimony to this.

just like the proverbial hookah popping beggar yelling at the hardworking sweeper, ridiculing his choice of job.
Bun - dont mix the outpourings of an unhappy internet poster with the statements of SLC. They have not endorsed this point of view.

migara - the economic investment argument against the IPL is a little thin. If 70% of revenues in cricket originate from India, some of it flowing into the other boards whose economies are not as large. There is direct revenue sharing from tournaments, and every bilateral series with India in effect a subsidy (wonder why there were so many India-SL series?).

So if 12-15% of SLC revenues originate directly or indirectly from India - then that proportion of time from some of SLC cricketers is paid for - isn't it? Note that I'm merely taking your bean counting logic to its conclusion.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So for 2 years of coaching Malinga has served his board for almost 10 years now. That should be enough payback for any professional in any profession.

And how are these players paid off by tax payers money ? Is Sri Lanka Cricket Board a Government organization ?
Malinga was chosen from a couple of dozen of players, who were coached to the same extent. So the point is that Malinga has to repay ALL of that.

Players are not paid off by tax payers money, but their financial commitments with advertising are. Every cent that is paid in their agreements with brands are covered by adding it to the price of the goods that are used by the public. Bottom line is that public is paying for the advertising, if you want to be pedantic.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Do you think SL board has enough balls for it? If they were financially stable and if Ranatunga was at chair, would have done it for sure. Part of the blame is on SLC for bending down to BCCI, other part is with the players, and lastly another part with journos like Dileep who acts like a whore bending down to IPL money.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
haha funny how one person blames ipl coz it doesn allow players to rest, while another one blames it coz it keeps benching players without match practise :laugh:
It's self explanatory and you pretend not to know it. Up to now Malinga and Randiv had played nearly all the matches for MI and CSK - No rest. Fernando and Kulasekara had not played any - Out of practice. If the above teams are not going to use the above players, best thing is to release them to play the premier league.

migara, just asking, what additional benefit would malinga have, for example, provided to the poor taxpayers in sri lanka during the two months that the ipl is happening?
Did I meant something like that or a straw man? I am not against them playing IPL. I am against when they miss national duty in the face of IPL

and also, I ackowledge sl board spend money to develop players, but please, its not charity work. ultimate financial motive is to stay in the green or black as much as possible.
Why don't you apply the same principle to SLC?

if a few weeks of ipl cricket (please tell me how many guys have dropped dead after an ipl season), can provide a handsome profit without any risk or endeavour except from signing a paper, why should rthey say no to it?
How about picking up career threatening injuries like what Mathews and Maharoof did? Who's going to cover up the injuries? The point is that IPL cricket ONLY provides benefit to the players. Not SL cricket. SLC is interested about SL cricket first than individual players.

yes, this will mean a few players getting bigger salaries in proportion to other. but isnt a few earning millions than none earning at all?
Sorry, cricket is bigger than players.

also in the long run, people who are shying away from playing cricket considering it to be less rewarding may actually take up cricket, maybe with a view to making it big in t20, but may turn out to be well rounded players after all. all big achievements have humble beginnings.
This is wishful thinking. Name any player that has been picked up from SL out of blue. (Nuwan Pradeep was in a test suad BTW). The hard truth is their recognition comes through playing for SL.

and iirc, the likes of malinga, jaya are still very much sl citizens, which means all these millions they earn, are getting injected into the sl economy, which is capital and asset creation. there is this multiplier effect associated with it, so actually these guys are rewarding more than you think they are to the country.
Agreed. But none of them will come to SL cricket. I'll settle for lesser money if it directly comes to me.

all these from just two months of loaning out staff. see the incremental gain from a bigger perspective, the incremental losses are overblown, and largely unfounded. to make statements that cricket will die out and that the nation is losing out are extremely narrow, myopic viewpoints. country is not losing out. a tiny majority of test crazy cricket fans who believe tests must be conducted twelve months a year, and that players should all prefer them regardless of it being rewarding or not, are imho ultra selfish and just there out to whet their fetish.
The view that IPL is beneficial for other countries than India is the myopic view. IPL is hurting the quality of domestic cricket because the seasons overlap. The effects will be seen in few years time.

archie mac

International Coach
IPL was the last domestic 20/20 tournament to be launched. Other boards had created their 20/20 tournaments, including Australia.

The only notable feature of the IPL is the money involved - thats a reflection of market forces rather than the back room deals that seem to be involved in the arrangement of most ODI series.
Last, first irrelevant to my argument. If you think you are obtaining the whole picture from what someone bids for a player you are delusional8-)

hang on

State Vice-Captain
a question - thought experiment, morelike - i find interesting is whether the ipl could survive as a viable financial model if india stopped playing all international cricket.

is there enough interest in it in india for the model, as it stands now, or with a few tweaks, to stay in the black?

Bun

Banned
migara,

if a player picks up an injury playing for sl, and somehow ends his career, does the board continue to support him for the rest of his life? if not, why ipl should be obliged to do that? getting injured unfortunately is an inherent risk in any sport, and blaming a tournament for that is a folly, especially when there is no coorelation between participation in that tournament and injuries. heck, if anything the effort involved is much lesser.

I am truly smacked by your grasp of economics. you do acknowledge sri lanka will benefit from the payments, but not the slc. I think thats not quite correct. one of the chief reasons why bcci has become so rich, is because of multiquadrupling of tv rights, which is directly linked to the purchasing power of its population, particularly the middle class. sanga and co. are actually contributing to this by injecting money into the system, literally out of nowhere.

I was referring to yours and goatspin's comments. you are overrating match practise obtained from playing t20s in the first place. secondly you need to take a firm stand on one issue, either blame ipl for overplaying (i wonder if it's possible ever from monetary and even effort point of view) or blame it for not giving any match practise. if you take the former, your guys who aren't playing are literally getting a fine paid holiday giving them sufficient rest and all that. if you take the latter, it excludes the most shrill criticism against ipl, ie, player exhaustion.

now, let us see whether this argument of exhaustion is a valid one. indian players, including oldies like sachin have been playing ipl for four years now. how many indian guys have been confined to the hospital ward since 08 due to incessant amount of cricket? I cannot see one player losing their mojo due to this. india has played an insane amount of tests and odis as well during this period as well remember.

also an avg ipl player like malinga, sends down a maximum of 70 overs in about eight weeks of cricket. Thats equivalent of what he would have sent down in a 7 match odi series, (in about two weeks) or in less than three test matches (three weeks). Also consider the remaining time spent in the hot sun and the like. all ipl matches are in the evening or in the night. there is no comparison if you take the total no. of overs likely spent on the field.

nobody is opting for ipl duty ahead of national schedules. not even chris gayle. chap was forced to do ipl. malinga can't play tests, a fact vouched by sanga and jaya, so no dishonesty there.

Bun

Banned
a question - thought experiment, morelike - i find interesting is whether the ipl could survive as a viable financial model if india stopped playing all international cricket.

is there enough interest in it in india for the model, as it stands now, or with a few tweaks, to stay in the black?
it's not a question of interest, but how much of that get translated into monetary activities. the key here is the spending function of the burgeoning indian middle class. economic surveys indicate indian economy is going to be second largest in another twenty twenty five years. so I think per capita monetary value of interest is going to only grow exponentially and it augurs well for cricket, being the primary sport and now with the ipl, has slowly assumed entertainment value as well.

the average indian might have spent about 200 rupees as capital investment for a radio and another 15 rupees as working capital for a pair of batteries about 20 years back to whet his interest. Now its like 10000 bucks on a tv, another 1000 on cable and monthly spending of 350. multiply this by the ever increasing population in this class and you get the picture. And to say even at this juncture, only about seven percent of the total population have access to tv, the future looks scarily brilliant.

of course the fanaticism like climbing treetops to have a glimpse of the ground, burning effigies etc may become a thing of the past, but arpu (avg revenue per user) is only going to exponentially rise.

smash84

The Tiger King
hmmm......an interesting debate going on here.......some good points from both sides......

I still feel that the investments from the cricket boards into the cricketers development is being over rated here. I don't know as much about SL cricket but in Pakistan the players hardly have any money spent on their development by the PCB.

Take all of the icons of Pakistan cricket. Few of them (if any) were picked or developed by the PCB.