• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

jeevan

International 12th Man
So you're telling me Tendulkar reads these CW Statsguru-based player comparison threads? :ph34r:
He doesn't??? From how darn earnest those threads tend to be, would've assumed them to be required reading for every body who wants to be any body in cricket....

:ph34r:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Right. India did not win the World Cup, BCCI did. Bindra won an Olympic Gold medal for IOA, not India.

That would not be playing for India; that would be playing for the IOA or AGF.
Oh! Wait. Who selects the team? BCCI? Then that too would be playing for BCCI.

Right, we get it. No one can ever play any sport for India. Next.
Yeah call me when Bindra is asked to go to umpteen 1:1 shoots at random times and in random places, and many of them held ad hoc because some IOA official needed the votes from Kenya & PNG....

archie mac

International Coach
IPL actually simplifies this balancing act, by taking care of the former set of needs in a six week period. The "casualty' is likely to be less important ODI tournaments and, frankly, tests against weaker sides. Why should SRT bother to show up vs BD in a test match - other than for match practice - if his achievements against them are going to be always discounted? (See this board as an example where it is standard procedure to filter stats in exactly this manner).
Past experience - WSC - tells us the other authorities will become jealous of the IPL and will creat their own 20/20 comps, which will become bigger and bigger - see the KFC big bash - see the cash cow that was ODIs.

India also started that moster after they won the 1983 WC by cancelling home Tests against WI to play extra ODIs. The only reason ODIs stopped was because the public lost some interest and swaped to 20/20. Just like ODI we will see more and more meaningless comps of 20/20 which is really all the IPL is imo.

The casualty will be Test cricket, the five Test series is all but dead since the 83 WC and the three Test seriesw may well follow.

I am also not impressed with the IPL treatment of Pakistan players they have all but be excluded from the matches. No home series no money and having the pleasure of watching their India counterparts make millions, and people wonder why some are on the take. I am only surprised more are not on the take.

jashan83

U19 Captain
I am also not impressed with the IPL treatment of Pakistan players they have all but be excluded from the matches. No home series no money and having the pleasure of watching their India counterparts make millions, and people wonder why some are on the take. I am only surprised more are not on the take.
They got access to huge amount of cash through math fixing :laugh: It is the likes of poor Z Haider who neither get to play in IPL nor don't want to get into match fixing and will not be able to get in Pak team.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Past experience - WSC - tells us the other authorities will become jealous of the IPL and will creat their own 20/20 comps, which will become bigger and bigger - see the KFC big bash - see the cash cow that was ODIs.

India also started that moster after they won the 1983 WC by cancelling home Tests against WI to play extra ODIs. The only reason ODIs stopped was because the public lost some interest and swaped to 20/20. Just like ODI we will see more and more meaningless comps of 20/20 which is really all the IPL is imo.

The casualty will be Test cricket, the five Test series is all but dead since the 83 WC and the three Test seriesw may well follow.

IPL was the last domestic 20/20 tournament to be launched. Other boards had created their 20/20 tournaments, including Australia.

The only notable feature of the IPL is the money involved - thats a reflection of market forces rather than the back room deals that seem to be involved in the arrangement of most ODI series.

howardj

International Coach
How many of us CW members value the IPL as important? On what scale would you put the IPL?

I haven't watched one ball of the IPL this season, but then again I don't know if Australia even broadcasts it..
There are four cricket fanatics in our office, and not one person ever mentions the IPL (who's winning, who's playing, who's performing, who's your favourite team etc).

Nor do my wider circle of cricket friends ever broach these questions.

It just does not register.

Moreover, has there been any complaint about Channel Ten not showing this year's instalment? Not that I am aware of.

That's the flaw in the T20 franchise concept - residents of other countries simply do not care, do not identify with, domestic competitions in other countries. No matter how much it's jammed down their throats.

tooextracool

International Coach
Am I the only one on this forum who is a fan of the IPL? There are many flaws with the structure and planning of it - domestic players getting paid more than International players is a bit of a joke - but that can be resolved if they created a separate window in the International calendar for this.

There are also other problems. How can they justify a tournament that happens every year that is longer than the World cup? That is a terrible idea, cut down the length of the tournament to 30-40 days or so and include Pakistan players in the competition as many have suggested already. Finally, having a new auction every few years kills the IPL. Having been used to associating certain players with certain teams it certainly feels like a bit of let down watching this reshuffling and almost everyone turn out for different teams this year. If it worked more like the English Premier league, which I should think is what this competition is based on, players should only switch sides if they believe that they are getting a better offer from another team.

Ultimately, the benefits of the tournament are that younger lesser known players from across the world get to shine on the big stage and also get to play against some of the best players in the world. International players get a chance to play in conditions that can best be considered to be alien to them which is a huge benefit. Finally, even the international stars have a chance to learn and develop their game by playing against and side by side with other stars.

The concept is great, the application so far has just been questionable.

tooextracool

International Coach
There are four cricket fanatics in our office, and not one person ever mentions the IPL (who's winning, who's playing, who's performing, who's your favourite team etc).

Nor do my wider circle of cricket friends ever broach these questions.

It just does not register.

Moreover, has there been any complaint about Channel Ten not showing this year's instalment? Not that I am aware of.

That's the flaw in the T20 franchise concept - residents of other countries simply do not care, do not identify with, domestic competitions in other countries. No matter how much it's jammed down their throats.
I am not surprised at the lack of interest from other nations. However, I think part of that is due to the marketing in other countries both by the BCCI as well as from other international boards.

I thought that the IPL in SA was quite successful. I think it would be interesting if, given the length of the tournament, they were to experiment with playing half of the tournament abroad (England, South Africa, Australia/NZ, WI etc) and the other half in India. Certainly would help generating more interest outside of India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Am I the only one on this forum who is a fan of the IPL? There are many flaws with the structure and planning of it - domestic players getting paid more than International players is a bit of a joke - but that can be resolved if they created a separate window in the International calendar for this.

There are also other problems. How can they justify a tournament that happens every year that is longer than the World cup? That is a terrible idea, cut down the length of the tournament to 30-40 days or so and include Pakistan players in the competition as many have suggested already. Finally, having a new auction every few years kills the IPL. Having been used to associating certain players with certain teams it certainly feels like a bit of let down watching this reshuffling and almost everyone turn out for different teams this year. If it worked more like the English Premier league, which I should think is what this competition is based on, players should only switch sides if they believe that they are getting a better offer from another team.

Ultimately, the benefits of the tournament are that younger lesser known players from across the world get to shine on the big stage and also get to play against some of the best players in the world. International players get a chance to play in conditions that can best be considered to be alien to them which is a huge benefit. Finally, even the international stars have a chance to learn and develop their game by playing against and side by side with other stars.

The concept is great, the application so far has just been questionable.
awta.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't go so far as to call myself a "fan" of the IPL, but yeah it does have some redeeming features to it as well.

smash84

The Tiger King
I personally think that it is a great idea. Although I don't follow it much (maybe no Pakistan players has something to do with it???).

The worst part is the cheerleaders I think. Why in hell do they need cheerleaders at a cricket match??? Makes it look like a cheap imitation of American leagues

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally think that it is a great idea. Although I don't follow it much (maybe no Pakistan players has something to do with it???).

The worst part is the cheerleaders I think. Why in hell do they need cheerleaders at a cricket match??? Makes it look like a cheap imitation of American leagues
Yep, if they create a proper window for it, give a fair representation to Pakistan players, and make it much shorter, it will be much better.

smash84

The Tiger King
I do recall that there was a fair amount of interest in the IPL in the first edition when there were plenty of Pakistan players but the interest dwindled after their exclusion.

Sohail Tanvir got the best bowler award in the first IPL IIRC :laugh:...I guess people had not gotten used to his action back then

smash84

The Tiger King
Can they please do away with the cheerleaders????

It looks a bit sleazy and makes the cricket watching look like watching a disco..........

Last edited: