• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sanga's average is only 37 and Mahela's 33 - both respectable - but in big games I wouldn't be surprised if they averaged 20 runs higher. They always turn up.

Against NZ they both average around 33-34.

I hope they play to their averages or less if we play them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Fantastic performance from NZ.

SA - what can I say? Still haven't won a knockout match in a WC.

R_D

International Debutant
Haha, I dozed off at the same time. But the wicket woke me up and that was that.
Everytime I thought **** this I'm going to sleep... A wicket felll... Haha... Smith, Kallis and Dumminy..... After that i didn't feel sleepy:p

Once again congrts to NZ fans
and commiseration to South African fans... You don't deserve this.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'll be the first to stamp my ticket on the boat to Australia after this. I went to bed after the first innings and had given up hope.Though in the words of my favourite movie “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing, and no good thing ever dies.” I knew they could do it somehow. I guess the question now is how far can we go?

And yeah Selena Gomez was a good pick for Bahnz avatar. It feels like we are watching one of those emotional moments in Wizards of Waverly Place.

Not that i would know anything about wizards of waverly place. I don't watch it.......:unsure:

Spark

Global Moderator
To the people who say that we wouldn't be as harsh if India/Aus/England - if they're 2/120 chasing 220 on a pitch which is no minefield, and then collapse to 172ao, then we'll see. People were pretty harsh on India after 9/29 but in terms of a bottling this takes the cake by far.

WTF was JP doing? WTF was Faf doing running about ABdV? Kallis's shot was pretty average as well, the situation was perfect for a 90 ball 60-odd.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would also say that Vettori's captaincy was outstanding.

EDIT: And I though Ponting looked morose!

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I also thought Smith's captaincy was brilliant. It will be forgotten in the aftermath, but the first innings was awesome all round from SA. Especially the fielding. NZ could easily have made 250 if it weren't for smart captaincy and beautiful fielding.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what this means, but awta
It's a quote from the Dylan Thomas poem "Do not go gentle into that good night". It was written whilst his father was dying and is all about fighting to the bitter end even when death is imminent.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I don't understand SA not giving either Ingram or Tsotsobe an extended run after they prepared them to play in the WC matches for at least six months before the WC started. They played players like Faf instead of Ingram who didn't have much game time before the tournament and Botha who was clearly out of form instead of Tsotsobe who is in good form. David Miller had done a reasonable job for SA prior to the world cup and they could have picked him in the squad ahead of Van Wyk. Picking a back up keeper is pointless in this WC when you can just easily call a replacement if the regular keeper gets injured. I know its all in hindsight but we can only connect the dots looking back.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't understand SA not giving either Ingram or Tsotsobe an extended run after they prepared them to play in the WC matches for at least six months before the WC started. They played players like Faf instead of Ingram who didn't have much game time before the tournament and Botha who was clearly out of form instead of Tsotsobe who is in good form. David Miller had done a reasonable job for SA prior to the world cup and they could have picked him in the squad ahead of Van Wyk. Picking a back up keeper is pointless in this WC when you can just easily call a replacement if the regular keeper gets injured. I know its all in hindsight but we can only connect the dots looking back.
Sounds like pretty much the same criticisms of our squad policy tbh.