• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Provisional and final World Cup Squads

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Probably the only person who thinks this is a good decision would be Aussie. Wonder whether the selectors will be going for a Strauss/Prior, Strauss/Bell or Strauss/Trott opening partnership? Can't see any of them being anything but an epic fail in a World Cup where the powerplay overs are going to be absolutely essential. Can see a lot of 60/1 after 15 overs

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair Strauss has turned himself into a pretty damn good one day batsman, have not checked but his SR must be pretty high in the last year.

Would expect them to go Strauss/Prior but think Strauss/Bell would be the best option, it does not sound like a daunting partnership by any means but they could be pretty effective.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Davies got dicked. Kes would have been a better bet in the subcontinent and he has form there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I read somewhere that the selectors wanted to cash in on Prior's form and I guess they were right. Not who I would have picked but there you go. So we're looking at:

Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Trott
Collingwood
Morgan
Prior
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

???

Somehow managed to forget Morgan first up. My team might be a non-starter with Prior opening, dunno

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss
Prior
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

is how they will line up in all probability

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I forgot Yardy as well, knew I was a bowler short

Blaming it on my hangover FTR

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who to pick between Bell vs. Prior to open is an interesting problem. Now that England have dropped Davies, they should probably use this series to give a few matches to Bell and Strauss to open the batting.

social

Very strange selection in Prior - excellent keeping during the Ashes but he required a huge amount of luck to get his only 2 scores

Looks as though the selectors crapped themselves with Davies inability against the short ball

Shame it doesnt get above knee height in India :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Can't see why Prior has been chosen ahead of Davies. Still it isn't a terrible squad, most have been part of it a while and know their role in the side.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Who to pick between Bell vs. Prior to open is an interesting problem. Now that England have dropped Davies, they should probably use this series to give a few matches to Bell and Strauss to open the batting.
Not really. Prior has failed as an opener while Bell has a decent enough record there. No brainer.

vcs

Not really. Prior has failed as an opener while Bell has a decent enough record there. No brainer.
I don't see Prior fitting in that well in the middle order either like a Dhoni for example.. I'd think his best role would be to open and play his shots early on.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Davies has been treated a bit crappy here. Given a few chances and played one great innings with a few good starts in there too, couldn't have asked too much more from a newbie. S/R is 108, too, which I thought was the sort of thing they wanted from our openers.

Much much much more angry about Luke Wright, though. Go away!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Luke Wright has been in and around the squad pretty much since the last WC, think he was always fairly likely to go.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, the one thing the selectors do show is faith in a squad (keeper aside but since we've played at least 4 keepers in the last 18 months there's never been an incumbent really) - so in spite of everyone's moans, Wright was always going to make the squad.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Prior? Strange stuff. At least he's in form... I presume they've got him into the squad for Friday too?

Quite happy with the rest of it. I know Wright is out of form, but a bits and pieces player can come in handy and I'm not sure who else fits the bill.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So did Cook and Tremlett. Prior brings aggression according to Flower, that’s why Davies SR is better.

Jarquis

About the only thing I can come up with is that they fancy Prior's ability against spin. So will be ridiculous if they open with him.