• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Spark

Global Moderator
Good dam. And Marsh looks to be his replacement. Marsh called in for Hussey
I can think of 3 that should have been ahead of him in Ferguson, Hodge and Christian. Marsh struggles to find the gaps and that is the last thing we need from our number 6 where he'll most likely be playing. His last ODI is a prime example of this.
He played a brilliant knock the last time he was at 6. Started slowly - very slowly - but absolutely exploded into life with about 10-12 overs to go.

Obviously no patch on Mussey. Then again not many players could claim to be, especially not nowadays.

Last edited:

Sylvester

State Captain
That was his best knock in Australian colours, the problem is he needs time to get in which is shown by his strike rate of 75.This is the match which concerns me http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/match/446957.html

The closest thing we have to Hussey is Ferguson as mentioned already.

It feels like we are doing a lot of hoping that players are going to live up to their rep rather than what they have shown so far i.e. Marsh, Dussey rather than picking players that have done the job like Ferguson.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gutted that Ferguson didn't make it, but I guess it's no suprise really given he's hasn't really played all that often since recovering from the knee injury. Not exactly thrilled by Dussey's inclusion, has done so little of note in the ODI team, and iirc hasn't exactly been in great List A form in recent seasons either. Hastings is such a strange pick though, why the heck hasn't he been picked on late then instead of Siddle? :S

pup11

International Coach
Gutted that Ferguson didn't make it, but I guess it's no suprise really given he's hasn't really played all that often since recovering from the knee injury. Not exactly thrilled by Dussey's inclusion, has done so little of note in the ODI team, and iirc hasn't exactly been in great List A form in recent seasons either. Hastings is such a strange pick though, why the heck hasn't he been picked on late then instead of Siddle? :S
First thing first... Mussey's omission is a huge blow for us, but as andyc said Ferguson was pretty much a like for like replacment and its absurd that they have gone ahead and picked Marsh to fill in for a middle order batsman.
Dussey is surely a lock in for the worldcup now, and despite the concerns that you have raised regarding him he is a match-winner and I'm hoping he would bring his 'A' game to the worldcup.
Hastings as a bowler is a pretty good choice, as he has a lot of variations and can blow tightly and in every regard he is a much better LO bowler than Siddle, but the problem is he has been picked as an all-rounder which he is anything but, as I mentioned before for that role Christian or Hopes would have much better choices.

pup11

International Coach
Kenya 2003 say hi.
They won't have progressed into the last 4 had teams not forfeited their games against them, but despite that they played well to win some crucial games so you certainly can't blame the format there.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's not like not picking Hodge is a surprise. But they could at least come out and justify it, just say they think he's a **** or something. Just lets reflect on this.

this season
Hodge has 8 matches & 494 runs at a S.R of 97 with 3 hundreds and 1 fifty
Dussey has 7 matches & 143 runs at a S.R of 80 with 1 fifty

last season
Hodge played 11 matches had 622 runs at a S.R of 93 with 4 hundreds
Dussey played 9 matches had 298 runs at a S.R of 96 with 2 fifties

Its just a joke they we can't afford any more. Hodge has better career bowling figures as well, though I haven't seen him bowl.
Dont have any huge problems with the squad other than the selection of Paine

IIRC, teams are allowed to draft in a standby player in the event of an injury, so why bother with a second wicketkeeper?

The selection of both he and Dussey is simply the means by which they've managed to omit Hodge at any cost
Which is a complete ****ing disgrace.

Selectors are total ****wits.

Johnners

First thing first... Mussey's omission is a huge blow for us, but as andyc said Ferguson was pretty much a like for like replacment and its absurd that they have gone ahead and picked Marsh to fill in for a middle order batsman.
Dussey is surely a lock in for the worldcup now, and despite the concerns that you have raised regarding him he is a match-winner and I'm hoping he would bring his 'A' game to the worldcup.
Hastings as a bowler is a pretty good choice, as he has a lot of variations and can blow tightly and in every regard he is a much better LO bowler than Siddle, but the problem is he has been picked as an all-rounder which he is anything but, as I mentioned before for that role Christian or Hopes would have much better choices.
I don't necessarily agree with it, but Marsh ahead of Ferguson isn't exactly "absurd" given recent LO form. Dave ahead of Ferguson is perhaps more of a sham. Dussey is far from a match-winner in ODI cricket, and until he shows otherwise nothing will change. Blokes done nothing of note in domestic LO matches since he was dropped in 2009 for being less than impressive, and he's somehow back in the mix. Plain dumb if you ask me

social

If you bring in someone for injury, the injured player can't play again in the tournament.
So the selectors are saying that they dont have any faith in Haddin as a keeper and might have to replace him?

If that's the case, then they shouldnt have picked him in the first place

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't like to judge a cricketer based on Twenty20 form, but Shaun Marsh looks in golden touch ATM and I'm very comfortable with him as reserve batsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So the selectors are saying that they dont have any faith in Haddin as a keeper and might have to replace him?
How on earth did you get that from my post?

If Haddin gets a short-term injury and Paine's not in the squad but gets brought in for Haddin's injury, then Haddin actually can't come back in when he's fit later. That was my point.

Spark

Global Moderator
That was some huge fail. And a big worry ahead of any series. How many years does Haddin really have in the test/odi team? I reckon 2, maybe 3 at most. They wont want to keep Paine or Wade waiting too long, Haddin has some rank periods with the gloves, its just so awful sometimes. Ian Healy must be pretty angry at the standard of keeping these days.
Ian Healy is angry with many things these days, I don't think even he can keep track.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is Hussey expected to recover in time,from his inury?

And Hastings seems a strange selection.
I think the thinking here might be the same thinking that saw an injured Flintoff named in our 2009 T20 squad.

If he's in the squad and doesn't recover, no worries, you just replace him.

If he's not in the squad and does recover, then unless one of the 15 you have picked gets injured you can't get him in there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is David Hussey not a bit of a left field selection, given that he was dropped in 09 for being ****, and apart from the ODI against Scotland on the 09 Ashes tour hadn't featured in Australia's ODI team until the 1st ODI? How the hell does that get him a place on the plane to India?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the thinking here might be the same thinking that saw an injured Flintoff named in our 2009 T20 squad.

If he's in the squad and doesn't recover, no worries, you just replace him.

If he's not in the squad and does recover, then unless one of the 15 you have picked gets injured you can't get him in there.
They've already replaced him.

Sylvester

State Captain
I don't like to judge a cricketer based on Twenty20 form, but Shaun Marsh looks in golden touch ATM and I'm very comfortable with him as reserve batsman.
Hes been awesome in T20 for a few seasons but that has translated into the same form in the ODI arena. ODI he seems to struggle to hit the gaps which means hes not rotating the strike and his strike rate is way below what we expect from him. And by the time he wants to up the strike rate he gets out.

howardj

International Coach
Mr Cricket only has to get back in late March in time for the Quarter Finals.

Getting through to that stage is a formality.

I dare say if he can't, then we'll be proper ****ed.

Our middle order will be too weak otherwise - Clarke, Smith, Marsh, Paine, Dussey all possibles.