• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

pasag

RTDAS
Best part of the day was watching Warne bowling to Hugh Jackman in the nets outside the ground. Impressive amount of the Poms at the ground, but they seemed to be spread out a fair bit. Hugely disappointed in today's result, which essentially saw us throw away whatever chance we had of regaining the urn, but I can't say I'm surprised. This is pretty much what would have happened in all the other games if not for Hussey.

hazsa19

International Regular
You mean there isn't an English ground in the top five or ten capacity-wise?

Shock me. Mind you, look at the way they've played for 130 odd years. No wonder they want as few people as possible to watch it.
What's your obsession with England's cricket grounds' capacity??

I've been attending Test matches in England for about 15 years and i've never thought to myself 'this would be so much better with 30,000 more people'.

Lords, Trent Bridge, Oval, Edgbaston and Headingley are all fantastic cricket grounds.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There won't be too many convicts there watching over the next few days though. :laugh:
Why do you say that? There will be 30-50,000 people there tomorrow, most likely. Just because the smelly end of the ground will be making the most noise doesn't mean they are the majority.

Englishman have been gobbing off disproportionately for centuries.

Ridiculous comment really. You could fit four of your village green sized grounds into the MCG. If there was the demand for bigger grounds in England it would be fulfilled. Plainly, historically, people don't turn up there.

flibbertyjibber

Lovely partnership boys, beautiful batting.

Did they drop in a different pitch when we were waiting to start our innings? :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Why do you say that? There will be 30-50,000 people there tomorrow, most likely. Just because the smelly end of the ground will be making the most noise doesn't mean they are the majority.

Ridiculous comment really. You could fit four of your village green sized grounds into the MCG. If there was the demand for bigger grounds in England it would be fulfilled. Plainly, historically, people don't turn up there.
I say that as your fairweather countrymen don't turn up to see you get flogged. Remember Adelaide and Brisbane?

Burgey

What's your obsession with England's cricket grounds' capacity??

I've been attending Test matches in England for about 15 years and i've never thought to myself 'this would be so much better with 30,000 more people'.

Lords, Trent Bridge, Oval, Edgbaston and Headingley are all fantastic cricket grounds.
Well **** me mate. It's meant to be your national summer sport isn't it? There are 60 million people live there and you have suburban grounds for tests.

I don't give a tinker's personally, let alone being obsessed with it, but it's idiotic for someone to say "there won't be any Aussies there ho, ho, ho" when the crowd, even half full, will exceed the capacity of the biggest ground in England.

hazsa19

International Regular

:laugh: Do you have any idea how expensive and just plain impossible in terms of city planning it would be to expand Lords or the Oval or any of our grounds to the size of the MCG?

Burgey

I say that as your fairweather countrymen don't turn up to see you get flogged. Remember Adelaide and Brisbane?
They'll turn up. It's holidays here, not working time.

I'm trying to remember all those times England got rock and rolled in the 80s and 90s and the grounds were just overflowing. That's right, there weren't any.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
You mean cricket grounds? Easily the MCG, Eden Gardens would be next with 82,000 capacity (thanks, wiki).
Actually before renovations before 1987 world cup Eden Gardens had a capacity of over 120,000 ,but was reduced to about 90,000.

And now before the upcoming World Cup due to renovations it is expected to be reduced to 82,000.

hazsa19

International Regular
They'll turn up. It's holidays here, not working time.

I'm trying to remember all those times England got rock and rolled in the 80s and 90s and the grounds were just overflowing. That's right, there weren't any.
We're pretty proud of our ability to turn up and faithfully watch our national side embarass themselves.

Burgey

:laugh: Do you have any idea how expensive and just plain impossible in terms of city planning it would be to expand Lords or the Oval or any of our grounds to the size of the MCG?
Pssst.... If they want to grow the game, you play it elsewhere. Moreover it's an historical thing anyway. The first test was played at the MCG mate, in 1877. What, nothing doing since then? It's not a recent phenomenon. It would **** me to tears if I couldn't get a ticket to a game and the house full signs go up with 20,000 in.

Doesn't have to be an MCG sized ground. Is 40-50k just unheard of? Still have the joke-sized fields if you must, just improve the capacities FFS, or move the games to grounds with bigger capacities. Or, you know, build them...

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You guys pay a day's wages to go and watch the cricket and don't have any beaches...what else are you going to do? We, on the other hand, like to exercise our options when the Australian team has none. :happy:

Spark

Global Moderator
So, er, possibly the worst day of Australian cricket I've seen in my lifetime? Possibly so.