• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Spark

Global Moderator
It was an excellent ball. They're not bowling outside off because they're not good enough to bowl at the stumps, they're bowling outside off because that's how Ponting always gets out.
Not disputing any of that. However, if that ball - two foot outside off and quite short - is too good for him then, as I said, we have a major problem.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Perhaps another boot camp is in order, haha. Australia have got basically the same nucleus that they used in the last Ashes series, which statistically they had the better of, yet lost, now they're losing in multiple areas. It seems losing breeds more bad habits and lack of confidence, the same way winning is infectious.

Couldn't believe they considered leaving Siddle out. I know he didn't bowl as well in Adelaide, but they wouldn't dare drop or "rotate" a batsman a test after a performance like that. They need to find a bowling unit of say 6 and work with them rather than dump them following one bad test. On that basis a few of the top order should go, like say at least half of them. It's crazy

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If a bloke like Cook can make runs as a test batsman with the kind of technique that he has, then anybody can do it tbh.
Haha, yeah, alright 8-)

It was an excellent ball. They're not bowling outside off because they're not good enough to bowl at the stumps, they're bowling outside off because that's how Ponting always gets out.
Ha, this, this, this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well quite clearly you do :p.
Touche.

But seriously. He and Clarke's dismissal were shots that I'd expect from a Pakistani top-order player at their most Pakistani, and not from players of their calibre.

I mean Symonds got sent home for a fishing trip so I'd expect them to know better :ph34r:

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was at least a foot (not an inch, mm or whatever other measurement system you use) wide of the stumps, shortish and Ponting came half forward and greeted the ball with an open face with the bat well away from the body

Ponting wouldnt have scored 1200 runs in test cricket (let alone 12000) if that was how he "always" played

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Seen him get out like that a fair bit to be honest, also seen him put that same ball into the pickets on either side a lot too

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I cannot, and never have been able to, stand watching him bat and it's not because he's boring (s/r is ok if I'm not mistaken)

It's because he is so limited in his range of shots

Mind you, he's Lara compared to Cook
So the Aussie batsmen are idiots for not applying themselves properly, but Strauss is crap because he realises his limitations, blocks/leaves balls that aren't in his zone and scores when the bowlers bowl crap.

Interesting.

Jacknife

International Captain
It was at least a foot (not an inch, mm or whatever other measurement system you use) wide of the stumps, shortish and Ponting came half forward and greeted the ball with an open face with the bat well away from the body

Ponting wouldnt have scored 1200 runs in test cricket (let alone 12000) if that was how he "always" played
It's just at the start with Ponting, where he's a bit fidgety and he likes to feel bat on ball, so the bowlers put it out there for him to have a go.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Kids these days, they need to watch Allan Border making hundreds against the Windies and coming off battered and bruised to get some culture into them

Stapel

International Regular
Couldn't agree more with this, not only have our selections been moronic, but also the kind of cricket we've played as a group has been absolutely shambolic.
Its ok if you make a few mistakes as a collective unit every now and then, but the important thing is to learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them.
In case of our team, batsmen are getting out pretty much in the same reckless fashion everytime, and the bowlers too are trying to dish out everything they have in their arsenal rather than just trying to be patient with certain lines and lengths.
So its no wonder we are in the kind of position we are in, and if we lose this test then blame solely lies with the top 4.
I'd go even further: Selection issues have very little to do with Australian direness. Apart from nearly picking Beer for this Test, the selectors eventually got the right XI. Yes, we could debate for hours, days and threads whether some positions should be filled in differently, but the current Aussie XI is, imho, simply the best they can send in. Even if some adjustments could or should be made, there wouldn't be a significant difference.

Apart from Mussey and Haddin, all Aussie players have underperformed. With bat AND ball!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The bowling's too good for Ponting. He's not God anymore so bowlers are allowed to be simply too good for him.

Runs will come for Clarke imo. Just needs to start edging the straight ones and missing the wide ones.
If that's the case then I wish he'd start getting out to good balls. Not balls he didn't really have to play in the first place.

Clarke's shot was ****ing terrible. He won't miss the wide ones if he chases them determined to get something on them.

pasag

RTDAS
Happy with 268 after the start we had. It's hard to get upset at the team when they're just not really that good.

Have to admire the cricket the poms are playing at the moment. It's solid, it's professional and so damn confident. The stuff we've put out is quite embarrassing and has let down the contest after quite a few years of exciting home Tests.

Spark

Global Moderator
If that's the case then I wish he'd start getting out to good balls. Not balls he didn't really have to play in the first place.

Clarke's shot was ****ing terrible. He won't miss the wide ones if he chases them determined to get something on them.
Yep this.