• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Stapel

International Regular
Ok, time to get this positive...

Team actually looks much better than the first 2 Tests...

1. Watson
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Haddin
7. Smith
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Siddle

That gives 6 bowlers to get the 20 wkts and the batting is not weakened (just needs Ponting to fire)
Apart from the mystery around Beer probably being picked before Hauritz, and Beer within the twelve being picked before Hilfenhaus, there is really not too much wrong with the selection......

Let's be real, there is no way the selectors can do a proper job. Whomever they pick, they will pick either unexperiencied, either unproven or out-of-form bowlers. There is no other way. As much as criticims towards Aussie selectors is spot on, I wouldn't like to be one these days.

Andre

International Regular
Even if he comes out and bags a 19 wicket haul, he still would have been the wrong pick
Reckon if he gets 19 wickets it's the right pick tbh :laugh:

Understand the calls for O'Keeffe with his numbers, but just reckon he doesn't quite have enough for the next level - despite his record, his bowling is pretty modest. Doesn't have a lot on the ball and his front arm lets him down at times, but as an all-round package he's attractive for the shorter forms of the game.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Still feel Khawaja is hard done by. It's only a matter of time I guess though. The rest has been said already. No need to rehash how ******** the selectors are

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, I had already forgotten about him. In my mind he was dropped ages ago.....
:laugh: So true.

It seems to be overlooked, but am I the only one deeply concerned with our lower middle order. Although its easily strengthened by the absence of North - Haddin, Steve and Johnson doesn't inspire me either.

aussie tragic

International Captain
To be fair, Peter Taylor was my first true cricketing bowler hero (with AB being the first batting hero). Absolutely loved watching him bowl.
I also enjoyed Peter Taylor and he really stepped up....but this seems like total desperation and there is no explanation on why he is picked....Hauritz or O'Keefe should have been ahead, or D. Hussey/Khawaja and Smith would have been a more logical selection.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: So true.

It seems to be overlooked, but am I the only one deeply concerned with our lower middle order. Although its easily strengthened by the absence of North - Haddin, Steve and Johnson doesn't inspire me either.
Team balance would have been much better served by picking Hauritz. A mid-lower order of:

Haddin (6)
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
bunny

is so much stronger than

Haddin (6)
Smith
Johnson
Harris
bunny
Beer

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really like Haddin batting above 7 to be honest and that's my main concern.

Overall, its obviously an improvement on North, so I'm kind of picking bones when the overriding concern is of Beer's inclusion

Evermind

International Debutant
I've asked my mum to buy me "The Encyclopedia of Australian Test Spinners 2007-" for Xmas.

If I start reading it Xmas night, I'll be just about ready for a new book for Xmas 2011.

:ph34r:
Good thing you got the 2007 edition - the 2010 edition has 17 volumes. :blink:

simmy

International Regular
I really hope Smith is forced to bowl some overs.

I have no respect for this bowling after seeing the Aus A game.

Have said it before, and will say it again... of all the Aussie spinners I have seen this tour, O'Keefe is your best shout and then North!

andyc

Says here that Beer is definitely playing

Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris retained their spots from the second Test humiliation, and will fight it out with Johnson and Hilfenhaus for the three pace spots after chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch confirmed spinner Michael Beer would make his Test debut at the WACA Ground.
SMH also has an interesting article from Stuart Clark where he has this to say about Beer

I think Michael Beer has the potential to be an international player of the future. Whether he is a player for next week is another matter. I played against him last week and I think his height, drift and bounce could be effective against the English batsmen in Perth. Mickey Arthur even told me before the game that, were he South African, he would already be playing Test cricket ahead of Paul Harris. That's quite a compliment.

Still, the reality is that Beer is two months removed from making his first-class debut and has played only five games for Western Australia. I'm not quite sure what Nathan Hauritz has done wrong in the past couple of weeks - he has taken a five-for on the very ground where the third Test will be played, and scored his maiden first-class century - but selectors have instead opted for potential over form. Ten spinners in the post-Warne era does not make for encouraging reading.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The idea has upset senior players and comes at a time when the once world-class domestic four-day competition is struggling to produce Test-standard cricketers.
Or, the selectors don't seem to recognise who the potentially Test-standard cricketers in the system are.

social

Just had a long and boozy lunch and basically the only thing I can say is "WTF"

The good news is that Beer is rated by some

They're in, he's out, I'm baffled: more chops and changes not the fix

The bad news is that his selection has made a total mockery of the fc system in Oz and has, in my mind, cheapened the baggy green

However, assuming that Beer will play and can at least hold up an end, why pick Smith?

If Smith isnt going to be called upon to do huge amounts of bowling, then why not pick the best batting candidate for 6

If that was the case, somebody else {insert any of about 5 suspects here} would be playing

As it stands, a combination of Hauritz or O'Keefe and Khawaja/Ferguson/Dussey/Marsh etc looks so much stronger on paper that it borders on the ridiculous

Son Of Coco

To be fair to Beer though, he's already done his job. He's gotten the majority of Australian cricket fans pissed.

Last edited: