• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin

that's the easy part....bowlers however...

Johnson/Bollinger/Siddle/Hilfenhaus/Harris/Copeland/Cameron

Doherty/Hauritz/Smith/O'Keefe

I'd go with:

Harris
Copeland
Cameron
O'Keefe

What have we got to lose.....go with the form :)
Unless they want to pick Smith and 4 quicks thats the best batting option I think. Although Hughes did manage to fail yesterday. Also Smith might win out becuase they can then play 4 quicks (+ Watson).

As for the bowling, Harris is the only definate pick for mine. Bollinger if he is actually fit would probably still be picked. Cameron, Copeland and George are the other pace options for mine, although Johnson's batting in an otherwise very weak tail might help his cause. George has played 1 match before so he may get another go, and i would go for Cameron slightly over Copeland on form, also he has been around a little longer (though not really at FC level).

I would also pick Hauritz, it was a mistake to drop him for mine, he is the best Aussie spinner at the moment and he took 7 wickets on the WACA last week.

Thus i would pick:
Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin
Hauritz
Harris
Cameron
George

12th Copeland

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh none of the aussie journalists actually believe any of this garbage, they just see wholesale slating as the only way of encouraging the team.

Deloyyyted with it, though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With respect, he is averaging over 45 in FC cricket.

I must say, you set your standards incredibly high if a guy averaging 45+ in FC cricket at 21 years of age, with all the other things he has going for him (promising leggie, great field etc) is not fit to be in the top six for Australia - especially considering the incumbent.

We will have to agree to vigorously disagree.

Averaging over 45 with the ball..

With respect you should really look at his current average before assuming he averages over 45.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Hussey's been doing that hasnt' he? he did it abit in the last test and i remember him doing it in the past.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Surprised to see the rather extreme reactions to the loss both in the Australian media and the fans.

Yes, they have been utterly outplayed over the Adelaide test and the last couple of days at Brisbane, but this is a 5 test match series. All it could boil down is one inspired innings or bowling spell to change the course of the series. The shortcomings of the current Australian team have been well documented, but England is not some perfectly oiled world beating side either. They have played like one over the last 7 days, but the challenge for them would be to maintain this level of performance. I am not entirely convinced they can.

Their top order has been in the most frightful batting forms, but is it realistic to expect this level of batting from the likes of Strauss, Cook, Bell, and Trott for the remaining series. They are not some great batsmen, very good ones who have hit form at the same time. Can they sustain it for the length of the series? I have major doubts.

Doherty and North must go though. Not sure if Australia can afford to make more changes (in addition to the forced one of Katich) without giving the impression of complete panic and disarray. It might be worth giving North another go at his home ground even. They can't afford to go into the panic modes which characterized English selections in the 90s. If Johnson was not good enough 5 days back, how does he all of a sudden deserve to come back in. And if he was, why was he dropped. Think the selectors are playing too much by numbers rather than making a genuine assessment of the best performers that need to be out there.

Quite ironically, Australia will just need to make some pitches which give their bowlers a chance. A sharp contrast to the roads on which Australian batsmen used to pile up 450+ scores and allow their bowlers to bowl on the back of them. Given the current form of the Australian batsmen it looks unlikely that they are capable of too many such scores, even on flattish wickets. Their best chance is to play on pitches with a 250-300 par score and hope they can attain those kind of totals.

England might be firm favorites going into Perth, but there is a lot of cricket to be played in the series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surprised to see the rather extreme reactions to the loss both in the Australian media and the fans.
I'm certainly not. I knew they'd react like this which is one of the reasons I decided to support Australia in this series. The media here is pretty dire when Australia are winning Test after Test with their disdain for opposition players and overall arrogant bias, but it's nothing compared to the crap they serve up when Australia happen to be in a trough.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm certainly not. I knew they'd react like this which is one of the reasons I decided to support Australia in this series. The media here is pretty dire when Australia are winning Test after Test with their disdain for opposition players and overall arrogant bias, but it's nothing compared to the crap they serve up when Australia happen to be in a trough.
AWTA, except for the bit about having to decide who to support :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why not recall Bobby ****ing Simpson back too. You've been on this bandwagon for a while, about Jaques, and it doesn't make any sense. He was a guy who was picked at the peak of his form and did well, but you can't possibly expect him to perform well now when he can't get runs against significantly weaker Shield attacks than what we've seen in recent times.

But he did make 40. 8-)
I just think that he will come good, but we need him in the team sooner rather than later.

Jaques is not-quite 32 and therefore will be able to bat for another 3-4 years at least. Sure he's in a form slump now, but if the selectors are looking for someone to provide a bit of a level head when the current oldies retire, then surely Pro could do it?

Yes, it would be a gamble based on recent form, but he has consistently been better than everyone else in state cricket for much of the last decade, but has not gotten an extended run.

I also do not like makeshift openers. I think Watson would be much better at #4 (and don't see a problem with Clarke and Hussey moving down a spot). With Katich gone (probably forever), this is a brand new chance to build a really solid opening partnership for the next 4 years or so. I think that Jaques and Hughes would be the ideal players for that partnership and provides a steadier transition when the likes of Ponting/Hussey retire.

Sure, this series is the Ashes and is the series that we really, really always want to dominate but you have to bight the bullet at some stage if what you have isn't working. I think now is the time.

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I have a feeling and have read from someone here that Dussey may be called up.
Makes sense if their looking for someone who's performed over a long period of time and provides a "senior" presence.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of dire :ph34r:

Sylvester

State Captain
I have a feeling and have read from someone here that Dussey may be called up.
Makes sense if their looking for someone who's performed over a long period of time and provides a "senior" presence.
Would show the desperation of the selectors if that is the case given Khawaja was the backup batsmen for the 1st match. Not going to complain if Dussey is picked though, has been one unlucky fella to average 55 in FC and not get a Test debut.