• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Sylvester

State Captain
I'm not going to change your mind but it's ****ing obvious that if a Cricketer who was in good form gets picked for his country and doesn't do too well batting at number 8, he needs to improve on his batting in order to move up the order.
Well if that's the case then Watson should never have moved up to opener in the Ashes series in England. He was dropped when he was at6 for poor form, averaged under 40 playing for his State and next thing you know hes opening the innings for Australia.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well if that's the case then Watson should never have moved up to opener in the Ashes series in England. He was dropped when he was at6 for poor form, averaged under 40 playing for his State and next thing you know hes opening the innings for Australia.
Having Watson in our team is actually a great reason to ensure that we pick our 5 other best batsman in the team regardless of how they bowl.

For all of Watson's good work, it's so frustrating seeing a batsman unable to convert his starts.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Watto would be a lot better off if the other bowlers were bowling well and he didn't have to bowl so many overs. I don't think dropping him down the order and making him bowl more is a good idea, he'd just end up injured. The guy averages 52 opening - sure, 2 hundreds in 16 matches isn't ideal, but part of what an opener is meant to do is see off the new ball so the middle order can capitalise. Only it isn't capitalising, so it looks worse.

howardj

International Coach
- He does not average over 45 in First Class Cricket..
- Yep one 50 from 4 attempts. That would be an okay return if we managed to look semi decent in his 3 other innings. He didn't look good at all and he was batting down at 8!
- Great fielder for sure, probably the best in the country.
- Yeah he's leggie's might be okay for a few overs, but at Perth against this English attack, I don't think so.
- The buzz is not warranted, that's my whole point.
- My next negative is that he's averaging under 25 this Shield Season with the bat.
With respect, he is averaging over 45 in FC cricket.

I must say, you set your standards incredibly high if a guy averaging 45+ in FC cricket at 21 years of age, with all the other things he has going for him (promising leggie, great field etc) is not fit to be in the top six for Australia - especially considering the incumbent.

We will have to agree to vigorously disagree.

howardj

International Coach
whats the news on the pitch ...will it be a super fast waca :)
Yep, just like people said it would be a Gabba Greentop, and that Sydney is a raging turner.

So outdated all those descriptions.

All the pitches in Australia are pretty much the same nowadays - flattish.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, just like people said it would be a Gabba Greentop, and that Sydney is a raging turner.

So outdated all those descriptions.

All the pitches in Australia are pretty much the same nowadays - flattish.
Have always stood by this - Sydney is the best test match wicket/venue in Australia.

Woodster

International Captain
Surely Katich is history now - sad way to finish, but there you go.

As for Broad, yes he's a loss and I 100% agree with your comments about his bowling being unrewarded. I was astonished to hear Agnew this morning touting Bresnan as his replacement on the basis that he could bowl into the wind at Perth. If Tremlett isn't first cab off the ranks for one of the quicks, then why on earth is he in the squad? Even if the Perth wicket isn't what it was, surely Tremlett needs to be in the side and bowling regularly for when there is something on offer. And even on a road, he'll still offer a whole lot more than BFT.
I've heard a few pundits talk of Bresnan being a very real option if the incoming bowler is likely to bowl a number of his overs into the Fremantle breeze. I don't know how the pitch is expected to play, and while it has lost much of its pace and bounce of years gone by, surely there will be more pace and bounce than in Brisbane or Adelaide ?

If so, Tremlett you would think is ideal for the pitch. It may depend how both bowlers go in the next tour match in Melbourne aswell, becuase if one of these, or Shahzad, go round the park it's unlikely they'll get the nod, similarly if one of them has an 8-10 wicket match, you'd expect them to replace Broad.

Tremlett is the more exciting option, he has the potential to bowl quickly, get a lot of bounce and trouble the Aussies, and is more likely to make a match winning performance and contribution. Bresnan we know is reliable. He'll relish the hard work into the wind, will try and swing the ball, both conventionally and reverse, and will always be at the batsman. He does give us a like for like in terms of batting, but that should only be a passing consideration.

Will be interested to see how Tremlett goes in Melbourne, because against Australia 'A' he looked a little down on pace, and probably needs overs in his legs to get his sharpness up.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Get Jaques into the side. He's just made 40 in bowler friendly conditions and has thousands of runs at a gigantic average in domestic cricket.

He also happens to average 47 in test matches as well.

Get Hughes in the side as well. Both can play, which lets Watto drop to #4, Clarke to #5 and Hussey to #6 and all of a sudden we have a gigantic batting lineup that can score piles and piles of runs.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think if Hughes plays he should count himself lucky that Broad isn't there, would of really set him up.

Oh wait... that's the job of Finn and Tremlett

Ruckus

International Captain
Apparently Strauss is already pleased at the idea of Hughes coming in. I wouldn't be that pleased if I were him. While Katich is much more likely to get a decent start, he is also much less likely to take the game away from a team. If Hughes can get going, he scores at a very high rate and can really put pressure on the bowlers (kind of like Sehwag).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Get Jaques into the side. He's just made 40 in bowler friendly conditions and has thousands of runs at a gigantic average in domestic cricket.

He also happens to average 47 in test matches as well.

Get Hughes in the side as well. Both can play, which lets Watto drop to #4, Clarke to #5 and Hussey to #6 and all of a sudden we have a gigantic batting lineup that can score piles and piles of runs.
Why not recall Bobby ****ing Simpson back too. You've been on this bandwagon for a while, about Jaques, and it doesn't make any sense. He was a guy who was picked at the peak of his form and did well, but you can't possibly expect him to perform well now when he can't get runs against significantly weaker Shield attacks than what we've seen in recent times.

But he did make 40. 8-)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently Strauss is already pleased at the idea of Hughes coming in. I wouldn't be that pleased if I were him. While Katich is much more likely to get a decent start, he is also much less likely to take the game away from a team. If Hughes can get going, he scores at a very high rate and can really put pressure on the bowlers (kind of like Sehwag).
Hmm, Hughes is someone England feel they have a big psychological edge on.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's interesting, because (before his Test debut) there were ravings about him mentally. More in the fact that he never ever lets anything that has gone on the ball before affect him. You can see it in how, it doesn't matter how many times he's played and missed or whatever, when the ball is in his zone he still absolutely smashes it.

Ruckus

International Captain
They do, but that could be a mistake. He isn't the kind of batsmen you want to be complacent with. And it can't be that effective anyway, because his last appearance against them was in the Aus A game where he scored 80-odd (albeit against different bowlers, but it was still under Strauss' leadership).

simmy

International Regular
Hughes had similar hype from CWers in 2009 and did absolutely nothing iirc.

This time round however he is without doubt your best option as I think you need some more aggression in your lineup to pressure Strauss.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Usman not out over night for NSW ftr, if he tons up tomorrow then surely he'd be at least in the squad for Perth.