• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So weather permitting, just tell KP and go to go out and slog for the first hour and hopefully get up towards a 400 run lead? We have our most destructive batsman at the crease and 3 of our most attacking to come, definitely think its worth batting an hour in the morning.

No way we are bowling them out for under 300 second dig, so I'd rather make the runs now, if we could make 80-100 in an hour, it would take us double that on day 5.
IMO batting tomorrow simply wastes time that could be used to bowl Australia out. Adding another 100 runs yesterday evening would have been nice as it would have lessened the chances of batting again - with the weather not set fair England need as much time in the field as possible. Batting again in the morning wastes some of that time for no real gain.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No way we are bowling them out for under 300 second dig, so I'd rather make the runs now, if we could make 80-100 in an hour, it would take us double that on day 5.
If we are only going to get 3-4 seeions in the next 2 days then we have to bowl them out for <300.

Time is the issue here. Runs have little comparative value compared to every min that is used. Every min batted reduces the chance of winning the Test (assuming there will be rain)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Absolutely nothing apart from if the light is bad and declaring would just mean the Aussies go off.
Batting side don't have a say. If the light is good enough for England to potentially bat in tomorrow morning, it's good enough for Australia.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well, like I have stated on this forum, I think Doug has been exposed as slightly over-rated now that he's up against decent opposition. Obviously it's still early days, but I always believed his average of 23 should have been taken with a grain of salt. He may be a good bowler, but certainly not average-of-23-good.
I think you're shortchanging Doug a bit there. I don't think anyone thought his FC average would stay at 23 - that's pushing towards the all-time great category - but, I could easily see him averaging 26-27. He hasn't been anywhere near to top form in this match, maybe due to lack of match time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So I hear, but believe me-- batsmen whining about the light puts umpires under pressure.
Surely you can't be suggesting that Ricky 'spirit of the game' Ponting would be complaining to the umpires if Australia start collapsing in questionable light?

howardj

International Coach
I think you're shortchanging Doug a bit there. I don't think anyone thought his FC average would stay at 23 - that's pushing towards the all-time great category - but, I could easily see him averaging 26-27. He hasn't been anywhere near to top form in this match, maybe due to lack of match time.
I would be very surprised if he averages below 30. I think, in this game, he has looked every bit like he did in his only other Test against decent opposition - South Africa in Sydney at the start of last year.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Batting side don't have a say. If the light is good enough for England to potentially bat in tomorrow morning, it's good enough for Australia.
See the post above. If you believe umpires will make the same decisions regarding going off for a team that doesnt want to be out there and are bitching about the light as they would for a team that is desperate to be out there and is campaigning to stay out then you are mistaken.

The crowd, TV and the sport in general would react badly to umpires taking players off when they wanted to stay out. It may be the umpires decision but that decision has context and isnt made in a vacuum.

Umpires are people and can be spoken to and worked on.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England have nothing to lose here. 300+ lead is just not going to go into a loss. So they have to declare when they think that they can best take wickets, so as to coincide that with the new ball. IMO that's first thing in the morning, when their bowlers will be refreshed and ready and there's be a little bit of life from the early morning dew.

Either way, it's academic. If England bowl as well as they can they'll win this.

nick-o

State 12th Man
What do England have to lose by declaring overnight?
If the outfield is very wet, England might prefer to bat on for an hour or so to let it dry out. That way, when they start bowling the new ball will stay in good condition longer.

But it very much depends on weather forecast -- they have to factor in how much time is likely to be lost over the next two days.

howardj

International Coach
With patchy showers predicted over the next few days, the outfield is not going to be bone dry at any stage I wouldn't have thought. Crazy to bat on tomorrow IMO

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would be very surprised if he averages below 30. I think, in this game, he has looked every bit like he did in his only other Test against decent opposition - South Africa in Sydney at the start of last year.
Johnson surely has to come back for Bollinger. Even at Lord's, where Johnson was utterly horrible, he pulled things back to an extent later in the innings, to the point where his figures don't come close to reflecting how badly he bowled.

Bollinger has consistently been rubbish throughout the innings. Pietersen in particular has played him with complete contempt.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think he has improved since his first test, but he also faced India just a few months ago and had good success (averaged low 20's I think, and took big wickets).

Edit: averaged 16.20! Albeit, it was only one match. Got the wickets of Dravid (2), Tendulkar, Harb and Ishant.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
As an aside, this is the first time I've watched Ryan Harris and I'm impressed. He's been quick and tight, the only Aussie bowler to come out of this innings with much dignity.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bollinger's perfomance in this innings is in no way representative of his talent/career IMO. Not least because he is usually on the faster side of medium-fast.

Not on the medium side of medium.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Pietersen joining some pretty august company

Scorers of more than one double-ton for England:
Hammond (7!!!), Hutton (4), Compton, Amiss, Gower, Gooch

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How has he suddenly leap frogged Khawaja? Don't tell me he's going to come inndue to his 'useful' offies!
I'd imagine that'd be exactly the reason, myself. Although, from what I've seen of the two (and I've seen a lot more of Hussey jr), the older man looks the better bat. Admittedly he gives Khawaja a decade but if I were an Aussie selector the only concern would be "who's more likely to score runs at the WACA".

I don't see why Ponting is getting the criticism. I'd look to the farcical selection policy, and I also wonder about whether the coach is up to it.
Nielsen has the look (& sound) of a good chap promoted beyond his ability to me. Contrast between him and Flower is marked and pretty damning.

Haha, what's the bet Johnson will be back in the XI for the third test despite having no match practice since being dropped. I don't think the Aussies have any option.
From what I've read Ponting was well jarred off by his dropping (Lord knows why; looks a busted flush to me), so I think it's a distinct possibility. Bollinger's been dire and Siddle pretty mediocre, so there's candidates to replace.

What do England have to lose by declaring overnight?
So weather permitting, just tell KP and go to go out and slog for the first hour and hopefully get up towards a 400 run lead? We have our most destructive batsman at the crease and 3 of our most attacking to come, definitely think its worth batting an hour in the morning.

Agree with Dav here. Boot on the throat time; quick runs are the order of the day. We get 400+ lead and the chances of a ticklish little chase are reduced.

If the forecast is that dire tho there's a case to pull the plug overnight.