• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Ruckus

International Captain
Because when you can't get Monty Panesar out in over an hour you know it was the rain.
8-)
On day 4 of the Cardiff test rain reduced play to 49 overs, so that's 41 overs short. So the fact we couldn't get the last wicket in that time period is beside the point - because we should have had about an additional 2 and a half hours play to do it. There is no reason to whine about it because it's just the nature of the game and weather, but to say it didn't affect the end result is wrong imo.

Redbacks

International Captain
Who said that? Forecast says a few showers, and perhaps a thunderstorm, for both tmrw and the next day.
Still raining at the moment. Going from a heavy bursts to light drizzle. Hopefully enough to soak the outfield in anticipation for a nice set of early cover drives if we get sent in first thing.

Last edited:

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well we simply have to declare overnight and try and win in what time remains due to the weather. Have a horrible gut feeling that we will be denied by rain.

Whatever happens i can see Australia making multiple changes again to their side like we used to do in the dark days of the 90's.
The difference between them now and us then though is that they do have better players to bring in than what they are fielding. It's amazing to me that they've persisted with North for so long when they have half a dozen high quality young bats waiting to come in. Then there's the spin debacle; O'Keefe has the best record, why not play him? They select their team as if they're trying to throw the series.

We need to go on and finish this off though. Everything is perfect right now. Our opponent is lost and confused. We're utterly ****ing dominant. If we go 1-0 up here we're home, there's no way they could get ahead in the series from there imo, to win two out of the next three tests with the way things have gone. Won't happen for them. But if we go to Perth 0-0, with all this dominance having amounted to utterly nothing, the dynamic of the series could change sharply. We saw it in Cardiff. Does anyone really think we'd have won that series if they had taken that 10th wicket? Us holding on there changed everything, we were buoyed hugely, Johnson imploded, our batsmen applied themselves and our bowlers knuckled down and got it right. So refreshed were we by the knowledge that we could reset without any damage done that everything turned on its head.

These next two days are the defining ones of the series. It'll all be decided right here I fancy.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
These next two days are the defining ones of the series. It'll all be decided right here I fancy.
Yeah I agree. Can't see Australia coming back from 1 down to win the series. This is it for Ponting, if his team fails here it will probably be game over.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I feel really sorry for him, not his fault he has been picked to play international cricket when he clearly isn't up to the job. Like watching a slow humiliating death out there with him and not his fault at all. Not sure whether Ponting or the selectors are to blame for that one but they have obviously got it badly wrong.
I feel more sorry for McGain and even Hauritz.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel more sorry for McGain and even Hauritz.
Never saw the McGain affair and yes Hauritz has been shabbily treated. That is selectors for you though, stick with their favourites through thin and thinner and dump other players for the odd bad game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I honestly believe that Hauritz comments about not being bowled in the first test vs. India (which were misrepresented anyway, I don't think he criticised Ponting, just said he wish he had a bowl) didn't go down well, and may have been a factor.

Redbacks

International Captain
Yeah I agree. Can't see Australia coming back from 1 down to win the series. This is it for Ponting, if his team fails here it will probably be game over.
It almost seems like Roy and HG are the only hope left for Australia. Seems like nobody else in the country believes in the team anymore.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So weather permitting, just tell KP and go to go out and slog for the first hour and hopefully get up towards a 400 run lead? We have our most destructive batsman at the crease and 3 of our most attacking to come, definitely think its worth batting an hour in the morning.

No way we are bowling them out for under 300 second dig, so I'd rather make the runs now, if we could make 80-100 in an hour, it would take us double that on day 5.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
So weather permitting, just tell KP and go to go out and slog for the first hour and hopefully get up towards a 400 run lead? We have our most destructive batsman at the crease and 3 of our most attacking to come, definitely think its worth batting an hour in the morning.

No way we are bowling them out for under 300 second dig, so I'd rather make the runs now, if we could make 80-100 in an hour, it would take us double that on day 5.
You don't know that though. What we do know is that they must take 10 wickets. By batting on, you could be unnecessarily racking up runs that are not needed; wasting vital bowling time by batting on.

flibbertyjibber

What do England have to lose by declaring overnight?
Absolutely nothing. If they are serious about winning the series then they will declare and get at the Aussies. Not going to lose the match from here and need to have every chance to get the 10 wickets to win it.

Uppercut

What do England have to lose by declaring overnight?
Only the fact that they're probably going to have to bat a bit more at some stage and depending on how they expect the pitch to behave later on they might prefer to just do it now.

But given the weather-related concerns I think it's the right move just to declare.

howardj

International Coach
Well, like I have stated on this forum, I think Doug has been exposed as slightly over-rated now that he's up against decent opposition. Obviously it's still early days, but I always believed his average of 23 should have been taken with a grain of salt. He may be a good bowler, but certainly not average-of-23-good.

flibbertyjibber

Well, like I have stated on this forum, I think Doug has been exposed as slightly over-rated now that he's up against decent opposition. Obviously it's still early days, but I always believed his average of 23 should have been taken with a grain of salt. He may be a good bowler, but certainly not average-of-23-good.
AWTA

Finn is the same, has an average better than his ability at present. Difference is one is the finished article and the other is a kid who learns quickly and will only improve with experience. Can see Bollinger ending up averaging around 30 and Finn about 28.

flibbertyjibber

On the other hand, Harris has looked every bit the Test match article.
Definitely, has looked a class above the rest of the Aussie attack in this game. Sadly with his injury record you can't see him lasting to play in each remaining game of the series. If he does it will be a pleasant surprise.

howardj

International Coach
Considering all the batting collapses over the past 18 months, I wonder when our batting coach has his performance review. Langer's appointment back last year and his retention, is a metaphor for some of what is wrong with Australian cricket - complacency, lack of accountability and jobs for the boys.