• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By simple definition ATGs implies that world cricket won't always have bowling line ups full of them. As such, pitches need to be made far more accommodating for bowlers in order to address this imbalance.
Probably. Applies to every country though, as this Test match demonstrates. Unless you have overcast weather like England.

Ruckus

International Captain
Because of overhead conditions. The sky isn't the pitch.
Na the pitch itself was offerering more assistance before, e.g. Watson's delivery to Trott in the first innings. If it was all to do with overhead conditions then today should arguably be the best if anything, as it has been the most overcast.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surely a dreary topic like the merits of wickets v those in the subcontinent can be discussed somewhere I don't have to bored to sleep by it?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
DeusEx said:
Na the pitch itself was offerering more assistance before, e.g. Watson's delivery to Trott in the first innings. If it was all to do with overhead conditions then today should arguably be the best if anything, as it has been the most overcast.
Agree, I don't think I've seen any sun today. We can still be perfectly justified in mocking Johnson.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Surely a dreary topic like the merits of wickets v those in the subcontinent can be discussed somewhere I don't have to bored to sleep by it?
All this talk of pitches etc and all Ive been able to think all day is thank **** McGrath retired.
Often tracks are only as flat at the talents of the bowlers bowling on them.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All this talk of pitches etc and all Ive been able to think all day is thank **** McGrath retired.
Yep, had this been any of the previous few tours of Australia and we would have limped to something like 260 all out and a 10 wicket defeat regardless of the pitch. That has something to do with this current England side but if you ever needed an illustration of what this Australian side is missing this was it.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AWTA so, so, so much. :notworthy

JBH001

International Regular
Spent the whole day today on the couch watching the cricket - for the first time in a long time. That was outstanding by England. Great knock by Strauss, and more so by Cook (I've said a few harsh things about his technique before, but it has improved and his mental game is of a kind I have rarely seen). Trott looked totally at home out there, and determined and calm. I really expected England to be 5 - 6 wickets down today, so this was real unexpected.

That said, I don't see the point in declaring if and when England have a 200 - 250 lead. The wicket is still good and likely to stay that way tomorrow. England, IMO, should just bat and bat and bat and ideally grind the Australian bowlers into the ground with the second test due to start on Thursday.

Mitch looked the worst I've ever seen him. Never consistently looked like getting a wicket. Just bowled lots of slow (for him) rubbish.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
It may be flat but the Aussies here have been very unprofessional in their attack. Running up and hoping for a wicket rather than executing plans. Its all so random.
Pretty much the way Australia's played its cricket since 06/07 - just bowl fast and hope to get wickets.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Cook could not buy a run whole summer and here he looks immovable incredible what a couple of months break do to your game.

Ruckus

International Captain
We desperately need a bowler who can actually do something more with the ball than just bowl fast and hit the deck hard etc. At the moment Copeland looks the most promising, so I hope his golden run continues.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Deus Ex must be happy Cook,Straus and Trott are chipping away from their quota of runs alloted to them.