• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a much bigger fan of Ambrose than McGrath but I think he's waay overrated on here. Honestly don't see what puts him ahead of McGrath.

smash84

The Tiger King
Hadlee > McGrath

Whatever difference in their bowling could be made up for what he adds with the bat. Cricinfo's allrounder selection process is mind boggling.
So true. I don't really get their all rounder selection. If they only wanted one all rounder in the first place why did they have to ask the reader to have a team where they can have two or even three all rounders???? They should have just gone on and said we will have only one all rounder.

All the great all rounders get the short end of the stick because Gary Sobers' batting alone is good enough to get him into the all time XI.

Wasim is good but I would rate Imran, Hadlee, McGrath, Ambrose better than him as test match bowlers.

I was quite surprised that Chappell talks of Wasim's 1992 world cup final performance as the bench mark for him being a great bowler who can do so much with the ball. That performance was not even a test match performance (it was good though).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hadlee and McGrath both not making either list shocks me, I have to admit.

Glad Sachin made it,

Ruckus

International Captain
I think cricinfo have done a pretty good job really. Don't see the problem with the Murali and Warne thing. There could be good arguments from both sides to suggest either is a superior bowler, but Warne has the extra pizazz, batting ability (not that its really needed) and he is a better fielder and tactician. Plus he is a leg spinner, which adds to the danger factor.

The main criticism I would have is the somewhat token selection of Barnes in the second XI - on paper, he looks to be the greatest fast bowler of all time, but clearly no-one knows much about him (born in 1873), yet have felt obliged to put him in probably because of stats and old anecdotes. I don't really have a problem with that, but then you have to apply that same reasoning to every other old, old generation players not included on the lists. Grace? Lohmann? etc.

I think there should probably be a lower limit put on the selections, maybe anything outside Richie Benaud's observation should be disallowed lol...

smash84

The Tiger King
I think cricinfo have done a pretty good job really. Don't see the problem with the Murali and Warne thing. There could be good arguments from both sides to suggest either is a superior bowler, but Warne has the extra pizazz, batting ability (not that its really needed) and he is a better fielder and tactician. Plus he is a leg spinner, which adds to the danger factor.

The main criticism I would have is the somewhat token selection of Barnes in the second XI - on paper, he looks to be the greatest fast bowler of all time, but clearly no-one knows much about him (born in 1873), yet have felt obliged to put him in probably because of stats and old anecdotes. I don't really have a problem with that, but then you have to apply that same reasoning to every other old, old generation players not included on the lists. Grace? Lohmann? etc.

I think there should probably be a lower limit put on the selections, maybe anything outside Richie Benaud's observation should be disallowed lol...
Richie Benaud is a great chap indeed. Its sad that he won't be around in the commentary box anymore.

Ruckus

International Captain
Richie Benaud is a great chap indeed. Its sad that he won't be around in the commentary box anymore.
I think he'll be a feature of the upcoming Ashes though. Won't be commentating, but will still be a presence by doing features and lunch time segments etc.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon they undid a lot of hard work and time by making the all-rounder choice so ridiculous.

Warne the only player apart from Bradman and Sobers to get maximum points. Legend.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
if only they could pick Inzi over Bradman who i still think is better choice to go with considering that with Bradman there is alot of IFs and Buts involved..
I actually threw up a little when I read that.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Sehwag the greatest test opener? Cricinfo is Indian based these days, isn't it? The comments are always LOLworthy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm a much bigger fan of Ambrose than McGrath but I think he's waay overrated on here. Honestly don't see what puts him ahead of McGrath.
Lol "waay overrated"? Absurd comment.

The guy was a freak. I agree McGrath is better (back in 2004 I disagreed but McGrath's come back from 04-06 was freakish), but that's because McGrath was a freak as well.

However just because McGrath was slightly doesn't mean Ambrose is overrated. How the hell does a guy who averages less than 21 with the ball in test cricket become 'overrated'? :dry:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really do wonder how Sehwag will be viewed when he retires. If he keeps up this insane peak for much longer we're going to have to seriously start thinking about him in the Ponting class.. particularly if he can score some runs in South Africa.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol "waay overrated"? Absurd comment.

The guy was a freak. I agree McGrath is better (back in 2004 I disagreed but McGrath's come back from 04-06 was freakish), but that's because McGrath was a freak as well.

However just because McGrath was slightly doesn't mean Ambrose is overrated. How the hell does a guy who averages less than 21 with the ball in test cricket become 'overrated'? :dry:
I personally think Ambrose benefited more from the presence of Walsh, Marshall etc. (and vice versa) than McGrath did from any of the bowlers alongside him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From an Australian perspective, I'm pretty disappointed that Miller flew under the radar
Wasim got picked ahead of Hadlee and Imran. Cricinfo's stance of allrounders was pretty odd, so Miller was definitely never going to stand a chance.

Ruckus

International Captain
I really do wonder how Sehwag will be viewed when he retires. If he keeps up this insane peak for much longer we're going to have to seriously start thinking about him in the Ponting class.. particularly if he can score some runs in South Africa.
Na, I think Sehwag will suffer a pretty drastic fall in performance in the last years of his career. Can't see his style of play being favourable with old age.

Take a look at Gilchrist's average. He was averaging over 55 in 2005 (at around the same age as Sehwag now), but by the end of his career his average dropped to around 47.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim got picked ahead of Hadlee and Imran. Cricinfo's stance of allrounders was pretty odd, so Miller was definitely never going to stand a chance.
Yeah I know. At least Imran made the second XI. Feel Miller sometimes gets a little forgotten when it comes to the best of the bowlers, not to mention his batting either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Na, I think Sehwag will suffer a pretty drastic fall in performance in the last years of his career. Can't see his style of play being favourable with old age.

Take a look at Gilchrist's average. He was averaging over 55 in 2005 (at around the same age as Sehwag now), but by the end of his career his average dropped to around 47.
Sehwag said he's probably quit when he gets to 100 tests.

Sehwag is very much the personality who will retire on top if he loses the hunger. He's hardly the typical passionate cricketer who cares about records and stamping himself into history.