• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Owh, well we got a tough England series ahead and I desperately think Amin should go and Alam should come in, and Misbah also needs a place in the team but otherwise I am quite happy with Butt and co.
Can't wait for the Pak v Eng series, Just looked, a whole four test, thats how you do it. These two test series are bloody weak.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
You are the best batsman if you have the performance to back you. Words mean nothing. Runs and centuries do. I am not talking about short term solutions here. It is for his own good.
By believing he is the best batsman because of the hype when he is clearly not will only prove to be detrimental for him. The way he got out with 40 runs to go today is not the way a 'best batsman' gets out.

He needs more first class experience.

This is exactly what is wrong with the Pakistani mentality...we won so everything is hunky dory.
Keep him in, he's played 8 matches, got out recklessly a few times I've watched him, but also had good confidence. He'll probably learn and get better from tests as opposed to the Pakistan domestic scene. He's played in 5 losing matches and averaged 43. Really think after 25 tests he will have an average hovering the low to mid 40's.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Umar Akmal is ridiculously talented and IMO should be encouraged to play his natural game.

What Pakistan need is a few other batsmen so that they can build a middle order around his talents.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Pakistan would be a seriously good side with Khan and Yousuf making good runs. Their seamers are absolute rape, they just need a batsman or two who can make runs and they'd be competitive again.

tooextracool

International Coach
Congratulations to Pakistan on a well deserved victory.Cant help but feel that they got tailor made conditions for them in the last 2 tests to beat Australia but they have an amazing pace trio and if this isnt proof that a good bowling unit > good batting unit then I dont know what else would be.

Australia on the other hand have some serious problems with both bat and ball IMO. When the likes of Marcus North are part of your frontline batsmen and when the likes of Tim Paine is your back up thats when the phrase 'how the mighty have fallen' would be quite apt. Johnson, as I've long predicted is being worked out by batsmen across the world, and he's only ever likely to be anywhere near successful in Australia. I was deeply disappointed in Bollinger this series, I'm not sure where all the swing bowlers have disappeared to in Australia but one thing that is painfully obvious now and we've seen it for 3 series in a row in England is their inability to get anything out of the Duke balls. Hilfenhaus is steady but honestly these conditions are as good as its going to get for him in his career so it remains to be seen how he will go outside of England.

Australia still favorites in my mind for the Ashes because their bowlers will no doubt use those conditions better than England but Australia is far from the number 1 team in the world, in fact I dont think they are in the top 3.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tim Paine? Thought he showed some promise. Certainly wouldn't be singling him out as what's wrong with Australian cricket myself.

akilana

International 12th Man
I would like to see India and Pakistan play in England.. Pakistan might have a chance in England but I think they have no chance in Pakistan or India.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pakistan would be a seriously good side with Khan and Yousuf making good runs. Their seamers are absolute rape, they just need a batsman or two who can make runs and they'd be competitive again.
Im not sure if they need to go back to Yousuf. Not doubting that he's a class above everyone in the side currently, but Yousuf is 36 and they were shades in his previous series that he might be well past it not to mention that he has been singled out for having a destructive presence in the side. Younis yes he still has at least 2-3 years of good cricket to offer his country and would no doubt add the solidity required at 3. Personally, I would look at something like this:

Salman Butt
Azhar Ali
Younis Khan
Fawad Alam
Umar Akmal
Insert Name here
Insert Keeper here
Mohammed Aamer
Umar Gul
Mohammed Asif
Insert Spinner here

Umar_Akmal

Banned
Inexperience with the conditions. Barely swung a ball and consistently bowled the wrong lengths.
Aamir & Asif have just 1 test experience in England before this series as well. Bollinger is just not good enough and almost 30 now. He is another Harmison stay home bowler.:laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
Tim Paine? Thought he showed some promise. Certainly wouldn't be singling him out as what's wrong with Australian cricket myself.
Paine is not their worst problem no, nor is the Australian batting which is decent although getting along in terms of age (Katich-35, Ponting - 35, Hussey - 35) They need some young batsmen and Im yet to see or hear of anyone whos made an impression on me as of late. I am really not sure what they are waiting for with Phil Hughes, he should have been in the side right after the Ashes. Watson needs to move down to 6, Hughes needs to come in and quite honestly now would be a good time for Ponting to hang up the boots and for them to blood someone in his place before all 3 of the above mentioned players retire at the same time.

Their bowling though is the main problem, I think they are fine in Australia, but there are question marks on Bollinger away from home and Hilfenhaus while Mitch is rubbish pretty much everywhere else.