• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Am going to chip in my two cents here, though I should point out that I've been away from CW for much of the past 3-4 weeks and so I've missed a lot of the bannings etc that occurred, and I've looked over some of it but there is plenty I haven't yet seen.

Firstly, in terms of people criticising GF for his modding; yes, I can see why people might feel this way. However, like PEWS said, the basic modding decisions are normally done as the individual mod sees fit and without consultation. Any other bigger issues are discussed in the mod forum (incidentally this also happens to a number of reported posts; reporting a post actually creates a new thread in the mod forum where it can be discussed). So while there might only be 3 or 4 mods who are generally visible in doing stuff, the others are normally involved in some other way. But I think this has a lot to do with why GF has come off looking a bit bad to some; more often than not he was the first to see an offending post and was forced to act quickly, which can lead to oversights. FWIW, given that GF was asked to be a mod after the CC suggestions thread, rather than him volunteering, I think he does deserve a bit more credit than he's received here for all the work that he did.

Moving on, I echo what cpr said earlier about Staff Members, and just senior posters in general tbh. It's really disappointing to see a senior member abusing other posters or being sucked in so easily to a flame war in response to what they see as a troll. Yes, the trolling shouldn't be happening in the first place, but the definition of trolling is pretty subjective, and mods can't be everywhere all at once. We all do it every now and then, and even though it's a lot easier (and more fun) to get riled up and call someone a **** instead of reporting the post and walking away, if you've been here long enough, you probs should have a basic idea of what is and isn't appropriate.

Further, even if someone else has thrown the first insult, it doesn't mean it's a free for all. I was really annoyed reading the Ban Announcements thread in SD where a whole lot of posters were ganging up on Sir Alex. We obviously don't enjoy closing threads or warning senior posters, but sometimes there's not much choice. Carrying on from that, it does make it a lot harder when people blatantly question and ignore mods' decisions. We definitely don't always get it right and suggestions/complaints are welcome, but if there's something that you disagree with, it's a lot better if it's brought up offsite or via a reported post rather than out in the open, as it sets up a precedent for other posters and new members to do the same. Chances are most posters aren't going to be too happy if they've been warned, but it's just a bit frustrating when members constantly question the call rather than copping it on the chin and moving along.

Please bear in mind I'm not trying to make this a 'mods vs posters' kind of thing, but these are just some trends that I've noticed recently. There's no doubt that the mod team has played a significant role in CW's current state (which I really wouldn't say is all that bad), but pointing the finger solely at one group is a bit unfair IMO.

makes sense

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What exactly was it that SS posted in the World Cup forums that was considered trolling?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I didn't say he trolled I don't think but that some of his posts were amongst the more provocative ones. However, in the interest of fairness, there are a couple of examples I can think. Firstly, his posting when Australia got trounced by Germany. I did a fair bit of bigging Germany up before the game, but my rule these days (and this is not to say i've never breached this in my early days on the forum) is that you hype up the opposition before the game, but you only stick the knife in afterwards if they were playing your team. By stick the knife in that's not to say you can't comment on the game, but I'm not gonna go in there going, "HAHA Australia suck I told you the Krauts would prevail woohoooo!!! :D" From what I remember SS pretty much did sit there chuckling away. I dare say if Smitteh had been more of an active poster we might have seen some angry words fly about. Anyway, I mainly noticed this because another poster mentioned it to me.

The other thing is that he was pretty much the main culprit in the anti-football camp throughout the tournament. It's a shame because he made a lot of interesting, if flawed, suggestions and these were decent and brought up good discussion. So why he felt the need to temper this with 'how is this the most popular sport in the world' type posts every fourth post is beyond me. He wasn't the only one but he was definitely the worst, and it got tiresome, and as I understand it was the main cause of the Final thread being such a trainwreck.

I wouldn't say he trolled, some of his posts throughout were really interesting, but he posted naively and insensitively.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/site-discussion/46320-venting-3.html

In this thread GIMH and Matteh both were defending GingerFurball and his action against HB and his inability to act against Burgey for a personal rant.
GIMH also defended him for banning Satyam ,just because he disagreed with general opinion.

Quoting James post in that thread before it was closed-

And now because he was banned they have got a axe to grind and has turned around.
As they say what goes around,comes around (or something like that)
What an awful attempt to make a point. You show me where I said GF never did any good as a mod. Just read through that whole Venting thread and nothing I said there contradicts anything I've said in this thread.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It seems that some folks wanted stricter moderation for others but suddenly they are not getting away with the things they used to in the past, they have started complaining. There always is a certain group here which enjoys baiting certain individual members, ganging up on that individual, which is really pathetic. Regarding Sir Alex, it is really shameful how he has been treated here.

CW has definitely lost its respect but it is not because of the mods or the newer members but because of how the majority of the veteran members behave themselves.

cpr

International Coach
It needs to be noted somewhere here that this thread is purely and wholly responsible for me having Marvin Gaye stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

**** you Corrin.

Thats my last word on it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It needs to be noted somewhere here that this thread is purely and wholly responsible for me having Marvin Gaye stuck in my head
First thing I agree with in this thread.

Strangely, however, when I saw a post from Corrin, my thoughts were purely regarding ***ual Healing. Meeeei-wwwoowww!

So, how's everyone been getting on whilst I've been away, eh?

cpr

International Coach
Continuing the Marv' theme, the forums gone a bit I've Heard It Through The Grapevine recently....

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It seems that some folks wanted stricter moderation for others but suddenly they are not getting away with the things they used to in the past, they have started complaining. There always is a certain group here which enjoys baiting certain individual members, ganging up on that individual, which is really pathetic. Regarding Sir Alex, it is really shameful how he has been treated here.

CW has definitely lost its respect but it is not because of the mods or the newer members but because of how the majority of the veteran members behave themselves.
+ 1

There is almost a kind of gang mentality going on ,which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Apparently a bunch of people having the same opinion is a gang mentality. LOL

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Someone trolling of course does not make it a free for all, all I have said is that the mods should have stepped in and at least tried to display some empathy of the situation. There was zero attempt of this, and it's why I don't buy into Cribb's defence of it being a cricket forum. I find it quite lazy to just ban someone for breaking rules over what was about a two-hour period out of four and a half years, rather than looking at the context of the situation. That's obviously specific to my own situation, but the whole 'senior members should know better' approach is devoid of intelligence and empathy.
Abusing other forum members, ignoring moderator warnings and then carrying on abusing members generally speaking will see you banned, whether you're a n00b, a troll, or a fine upstanding member of the community.

You might claim that it was over a two hour period, but your behaviour towards Pratters wasn't acceptable for a lot longer than that.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Abusing other forum members, ignoring moderator warnings and then carrying on abusing members generally speaking will see you banned, whether you're a n00b, a troll, or a fine upstanding member of the community.

You might claim that it was over a two hour period, but your behaviour towards Pratters wasn't acceptable for a lot longer than that.
But not if you are a mod, or so it would seem.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'd be even more unfortunate if we had a victim mentality to go along with it. Luckily those don't exist on CricketWeb.

Apparently.
Don't mention a victim complex Cribb, you'll have a thread in site discussion dedicated to the considered view that you're a ****.

Trust me, I know all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.