• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, dunno about the never dives bit tbh. Though he probably dives less frequently than other similar types of players.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well he's probably done it once or twice, but he's infinitely better than any other player in the same position than anyone else in football at the moment, in that respect.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well he's probably done it once or twice, but he's infinitely better than any other player in the same position than anyone else in football at the moment, in that respect.
Well, he and Ronaldo perform a similarish role. Though I would say Messi is better, I would say suggesting he is "infinitely" better is stretching it quite a lot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, oh ok, even so, it's a fairly moot point tbh. Though he arguably might be better, I would still say he is hardly whiter than white.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, oh ok, even so, it's a fairly moot point tbh. Though he arguably might be better, I would still say he is hardly whiter than white.
You just have to be whiter than black when compared to Ronaldo in that regard though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is no football tomorow.....

Think I might cry to be honest, no idea what to do with myself.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Always hate this part of the tournament. Always feels like it is now coming to an end which is dire. Not sure what I will do myself. Probably piss all.

Pothas

Always hate this part of the tournament. Always feels like it is now coming to an end which is dire. Not sure what I will do myself. Probably piss all.
I know only 8 games left.

What do we do for the 3 years and 11 months when the world cup is not on?

Johnners

Am planning on actually getting some sleep tbh, don't think I can live function properly on 3 or 4 hours a night 5 days in a row anymore

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Round of 16 – No Real Upsets

Round of 16 finished yesterday with the match I enjoyed watching the most so far in this tournament – Spain v Portugal. Spain played possession football and in a style I enjoy watching the most passing beautifully. Both teams created chances but Portugal fell off the boil in the second half. Iniesta and David Villa – both will be considered all time great footballers once their career is all said and done. The better teams went through with possibly the only (slight) upset in Ghana defeating USA. Ghana weren’t all that flash in Round 1 but passed superbly and played at a fast pace against the US playing much better.

From what I find so far, there are two kinds of teams left in the last 8 and there is a big difference between them –

1) The great which have a real chance of winning the tournament – Brazil, Spain, Argentina and Germany
2) The good teams who are a notch below and I hope they don’t create any upsets – Uruguay, Holland, Paraguay, Ghana.

On Ghana, I have fallen in love with them. Their jersey is bloody awesome and I am tempted to buy it. If they defeat Uruguay (which would be tough and unexpected – Uruguay is by far the better side), I will rejoice as one of the things I hoped before this tournament was an African team reaching the semis.

Some people will be surprised I don’t rate Holland that highly but I think that despite being a very good team, it lacks the flare and character of Dutch teams of the past.

One major topic of eternal distress – penalties. The Japan-Paraguay match was riveting. Two evenly matched sides giving it their all. These two teams aren’t as gifted as Brazil or Argentina and have literally no chance of winning the tournament but it was an awesome game of football to watch because the teams gave it their all. It didn’t deserve to end in penalties. Play 30 minutes over times for eternity till a team out does another in a knock out scenario like the world cup of domestic Cup matches. Let football have it’s own Isner-Mahut classic. It is never going to happen but one can hope.

Regarding the technology debate, I have always held the view you should use it in all sports where possible. It is stupid not to.

Given the draw, 99% Brazil will reach the final. Whether they play Argentina or Spain, either ways, it is going to be great to watch. I have really enjoyed this tournament so far and the deeper it goes, the more pulsating it becomes.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes, Holland have won all their games by playing boring but effective football.
I truely think that if Robben is a bit more fit and van Persie gets a bit more space (space Brazil will create because they will want to attack, unlike all other teams that played Holland)
we will show that we are the better team.

This Brazil is way worse then 94 or 98s Brazil, the midfield is not very good, they have 3 or 4 players that can an individualistic action, but I truely believe van Bommel will take a lot of that pressure away, and so far the Dutch defense haven't made huge errors, and if they did Stekelenburg was there to save it(Man Utd...are you watching?)

I still think that Spain will win it, so far (bar the Switserland game) the best football.

Portugal is a one man ego team named Cristiano Ronaldo.

Germany is a contender as well, but they will need to beat Spain to make it to the final.
Holland has to beat either Ghana or Uruguay.
I think the Brazilian team is under rated. A mate cried foul when I called them favourites before the tournament started. They are a very fine group of players which play like a team.

I also think Spain has a very good chance to win. Really nice football they have played so far.

Last edited: